Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource (https://www.modeltrainforum.com/index.php)
-   Layout Design Forum (https://www.modeltrainforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Flex track radius (https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=185288)

Lemonhawk 11-05-2019 11:27 AM

I would make a 24" radius cardboard template, then use it while laying the track to make sure you don't put any sharper radius kinks in the real track. Also don't forget about easements into and out of curves! and especially any vertical easements! Get the sub road bed correct, correcting the actual track later is frustrating!

mesenteria 11-05-2019 01:32 PM

Make yourself a trammel out of a 40" length of lath or strapping. You drill a hole at one end for a short screw's tip to act as a centerpoint, or pivot. Then, starting at, say, 10", you drill a hole every inch outward toward the far tip big enough to hold a pencil's tip. Use a marker to label each hole for ease of reference.

This way, you won't have to carefully carve a template for curves that are 18" radius, 20" radius, 22" radius, 24' radius, and so on, about two or three hours worth and many losable templates. You just have the one trammel that you hang on a nail, always handy, via one of the several pencil holes you drilled.

CTValleyRR 11-05-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesenteria (Post 2468050)
Make yourself a trammel out of a 40" length of lath or strapping. You drill a hole at one end for a short screw's tip to act as a centerpoint, or pivot. Then, starting at, say, 10", you drill a hole every inch outward toward the far tip big enough to hold a pencil's tip. Use a marker to label each hole for ease of reference.

This way, you won't have to carefully carve a template for curves that are 18" radius, 20" radius, 22" radius, 24' radius, and so on, about two or three hours worth and many losable templates. You just have the one trammel that you hang on a nail, always handy, via one of the several pencil holes you drilled.

I've done the same thing with a cheap yardstick. Just allow for a slight offset because the hole at the fixed end won't be exactly at the "zero" measurement. If you don't want to destroy the yardstick, you can purchase clip-on trammel points. One has a point, the other a clamp for a pencil.

tommy24a 11-05-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTValleyRR (Post 2468166)
I've done the same thing with a cheap yardstick. Just allow for a slight offset because the hole at the fixed end won't be exactly at the "zero" measurement. If you don't want to destroy the yardstick, you can purchase clip-on trammel points. One has a point, the other a clamp for a pencil.

That's exactly what I ordered on Amazon today. 2 Trammel clamps. Thanks all for the help!

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

riogrande 11-08-2019 02:22 PM

I drew my track plan on 11 x 17" graph paper old school and used a compass and scale rule.

https://i.imgur.com/xBHSFobh.jpg

To do it in full scale, you make a trammel out of a yard stick or similar but longer and use it to draw out radii on plywood and cut it with a jigsaw/sabre saw to install on the benchwork.

I am planning some radii as much as 42 inches, so I found a piece of wood at Home Depot that was similar to a yard stick only it's 48 inches long. That allows me to draw radii that are larger than 36".

tommy24a 11-08-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riogrande (Post 2469254)
I drew my track plan on 11 x 17" graph paper old school and used a compass and scale rule.



https://i.imgur.com/xBHSFobh.jpg



To do it in full scale, you make a trammel out of a yard stick or similar but longer and use it to draw out radii on plywood and cut it with a jigsaw/sabre saw to install on the benchwork.

Very nice! Great idea!

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.