Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource (https://www.modeltrainforum.com/index.php)
-   O Scale (https://www.modeltrainforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Confused about size variances in O gauge? Then look here! (https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=5126)

gunrunnerjohn 06-21-2013 02:47 PM

O27 means a circle will have a diameter of 27" (roughly). Tubular and Fastrack are measured slightly different, so O31 in tubular won't be exactly the same as the new O31 Fastrack, but close.

Dug 06-21-2013 05:24 PM

Thanks John

Please share a search term or thread name to tell me what the O in O scale or HO, or other letters to designate different scales, stand for. Thanks Doug

Big Ed 06-21-2013 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dug (Post 219674)
Please share a search term or thread name to tell me what the O in O scale or HO, or other letters to designate different scales, stand for. Thanks Doug

I don't think the O stands for anything.

Does this help you a little?
There are more but these are the main ones.

Attachment 28568

Now O scale gets a little tricky, as O/27 is a bit smaller, that is explained in the beginning here in this thread.

Notice that ON30 runs on 5/8's wide, as is HO and HOn30, a different size but these run on the same tracks.

Edit,
There is an SG that stands for standard gauge it is bigger then the G. By the way G stands for garden trains.
O I don't think it stands for anything but HO stands for half of O.

gunrunnerjohn 06-21-2013 08:11 PM

O stands for "O, that's bigger than that little HO train!" :p:p

tjcruiser 06-21-2013 09:00 PM

Technically (and historically), it was "Zero Gauge", rather than "Ohh Gauge" ...

From wiki ...

The name for O gauge and O scale is derived from "0 [zero] gauge" or "Gauge 0", because it was smaller than Gauge 1 and the other existing standards. It was created in part because manufacturers realized their best selling trains were the smaller scales.

eljefe 06-21-2013 11:19 PM

TJ's right about the O originally being a zero. As Ed states, HO was named for being roughly "Half of O scale" and G is for Garden scale since it often used outdoors. TT is for Table Top. Z scale was so-named because if was thought to be the smallest scale anyone could build a working model train, but then the even smaller T scale came along. I don't know the reason N scale was named that.

Bottom line is there's little science or consistency behind these names.

Big Ed 06-22-2013 07:27 AM

Now that you said that TJ, I seem to remember servoguy stating that too when we were discussing track or switches one time.

I got to thinking about S standing for standard gauge and realized that we have S for S gauge trains.

So I changed that to SG for standard gauge. I just took a guess. :dunno:
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I wonder what DUG thinks?

Dug 06-22-2013 09:28 AM

Thanks Ed, John, TJ, Eljefe

I was foolishly looking for some metric system like analogy to describe the progression in gauge/scale designations.

Finding no overriding formula, I revel in the complexity. It appears to me that some names came from size variations (1 gage and zero gage) some came about as marketing schemes (Lionel radius 27 inches).

Great info, Thanks again for you help. I think I'll go loiter in the 'How to Post pictures' thread and see if I can figure out how to make a Gallery. Doug

tjcruiser 06-22-2013 09:31 AM

I don't think Standard Gauge ever had a number/letter designation, Ed. It used 2-1/8" track which Lionel dubbed "the Standard of the world" as a marketing ploy, to strongly suggest that any other track was somehow sub-standard or inferior.

TJ

Big Ed 06-22-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dug (Post 219711)
I was foolishly looking for some metric system like analogy to describe the progression in gauge/scale designations.

Finding no overriding formula, I revel in the complexity. It appears to me that some names came from size variations (1 gage and zero gage) some came about as marketing schemes (Lionel radius 27 inches).

Great info, Thanks again for you help. I think I'll go loiter in the 'How to Post pictures' thread and see if I can figure out how to make a Gallery. Doug

Dug, take note we do have a picture gallery problem that it seems no one can fix.

Read about the problem here,

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=16843
you can post in the gallery but all your pictures will only show up under one picture!
Messes up the whole thing!

Here is an example, this member has posted different pictures but see how it comes out in the gallery? They are all the same header picture but if you click on them you will see a different picture.
I wish someone could fix this, I went to clean all my pictures up so they were more organized and found this problem.
I ended up deleting all my pictures. And am still waiting for a fix to re-post them.
I would say this is a loss for the site as others stopped posting in the gallery too.
Example,
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/galle...=3&userid=6849

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcruiser (Post 219712)
I don't think Standard Gauge ever had a number/letter designation, Ed. It used 2-1/8" track which Lionel dubbed t"he Standard of the world" as a marketing ploy, to strongly suggest that any other track was somehow sub-standard or inferior.

TJ

Yep now that you said that I seem to remember reading the same quote somewhere.
"The Standard of the world"