Model Train Forum banner

2 older Atlas engines need simple decoders

890 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Greg@mnrr 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi
I have 2 older Atlas diesels that have old soundtraxx decoders in them and they just don't do well on my layout. I got these on craigslist years ago with the sound in them. The GP-38 is a dual mode and I have the original board with a 4 pin plug in it plugged into a 6 spit spot. Can I just wire that back in and it should run on DCC?
My Gp-40 I also have the original board for that and it has a a 8 pin dummy board plugged into the board in that I see, so I can just buy a digitrax decoder and plug that in for that one? I like the digitrax because they have that switching mode you can use as I run a switching layout.
Both engines are in nice shape and I would like to be able to use them on the layout.
Thanks
Bill.

#2 ·
I just added an older (2010) run Atlas GP40-2 to my collection about two weeks ago. The light board had an 8-pin dcc plug, so I added a Digitrax DH126PS (short connecting cable) which plugged right in and the engine runs smoothly and quiet.

From the looks of it, the GP38 -does not- have an 8-pin plug, right?
Would a TCS A6x fit the GP38?
See:
https://www.trainworld.com/manufact...-X-series-lighting-effects-and-adj-low-volta/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.