Model Train Forum banner

Marklin Delta 2963 set.

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Toy train hobby 
#1 ·
I acquired this Marklin HO starter set from a friend (free giveaway) and wonder if anyone knows what year(s) this model was produced? I never had an HO set before, but can see why this scale is the most popular.

It's a charmer...

Scale model Vehicle Transport Locomotive Train

Gun Firearm Airsoft gun

See less See more
#2 ·
"More fun on all tracks!," the box proclaims. I couldn't agree more! Unfortunately, I can't help with the date.

#4 ·
Take a close look at the small printing on the box and instruction sheets.....although it's in German, you may be able to spot a year of copyright or trademark.....might not find the actual date of issue, but at least maybe a ballpark year range.....

Update: found this set on an auction site that sold for $70.00 back in 2006....

#5 ·
Great idea, thanks.

I did a quick cursory check, but didn't see anything obvious. I noticed the transformer has a European type plug is and listed for 230 volt - 50 cycles, so it may of been for their home market. I'll recheck over the instructions, catalog (warranty card, cautionary notes) and other paper.

The previous owner purchased an American style, 120 volt plug (from Radio Shack) that connects to the European plug, but it does not convert the voltage and cycles.

#9 ·
I would think you could use any US HO power pack or
0 gauge transformer to run your Marklin. Also, Marklin
some used a 'form' of 3 rail by having power nubs
in the middle of the HO rails. I was unable to see
the track clearly enough to make that determination.

Marklin made both AC and DC trains, so
first you must determine the output
current of the included Marklin power source.

There may be a label on it that states it's
output voltage and either AC or DC. We know
it's 230 volt AC input voltage, so it won't operate
on US 120 volt current.

If AC, a typical Lionel, Marx or American Flyer
transformer should work fine.

If DC any make of HO power pack should do the
job.

MichealE is very knowledgeable of Euro trains
and could offer good advice.

Don

#10 ·
Hi Don,

The track in question does indeed have the center power nubs, so it appears to be a Marklin AC unit. I have a capable transformer that's not being used, so I will be expanding my interest in the Marklin HO (AC) line.

Thank you for your help and input. In the future, I will keep MichealE in mind for advise on the subject.

Lego Track

Attachments

#11 ·
Hi all.
To clear things up the "Marklin " brand is always associated with AC operation.DC equivalents of Marklin models are / were made under the brands "Hamo" and "Trix" and are 2-rail where Marklin uses 3-rail ( stud contact ).

The Delta system in your set is Digital and is specific to Marklin and may be damaged if a conventional AC controller is used !

For the record the analog Marklin AC system operates from 0-16Volts plus a reversing pulse of 20 volts.

If using a different brand of AC controller foe an Analog system it is important to check that it produces the same voltages.

Hope this helps.
Regards, Colin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.