Model Train Forum banner

Auto detailing supplies have multiple usage

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Big Ed 
#1 · (Edited)
I found that my Maguire's Detail brush (very soft) and some dish soap and water in an old hand soap foamer works very well. Followed by Q-tips, some compressed air to dry the crevices, and a little Maguire's detail spray for that added shine!

Before and After:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Ah, that's a good idea. I don't keep it in the house (don't like the smell, don't like it on wood furniture, don't like the massive over spray), but I can imagine it does a great job on certain plastics.

I know that some people use it to shine the black plastic trim on car exteriors.

Mostly, I was pleased with the foamer and delicate nature of the Maguire's brush. The detailing spray was an afterthought and really only added minimal shine.

#7 ·
Just a thought. I have had some passenger cars converted to knuckle couplers.
Two issues. One is that if you do not raise them high they will decoupler going through a re-railer section of track. The second is that they become too far apart at the coupling.

#8 ·
Dooper, correct and correct. Knuckle couplers will uncouple if they are not set high enough. Link coupler cars couple much closer together than knuckle coupler cars. Link to knuckle conversions are the worst offenders. This in one of several reasons I like link coupler cars.

#11 ·
I have found may uses for automotive polishes, cleaners and waxes. Most recently I used my Porter Cable DA buffer and some Meguiar's polish to put the shine back on some cultured marble bath countertops. Once I used it to restore a dulled section of polyurethane sealed wood flooring.

I also use the sealant products, like NXT, to shine a fiberglass whirlpool type tub.

#13 ·

I thinks so, I do have two 650 passenger cars and a 651. I might have mixed them up while taking photos. All started out about the same and cleaned up about the same.

Most of the result was foamy dish soap, the Meguiar's brush and a microfiber towel.

#14 · (Edited)
Another automotive product that I have used is any head light lens polish product to make yellowed vista liner passenger car "glass" clear again. It also works great on any passenger car windows. If you can get them out, I do both sides otherwise just doing the inside smooth sides does help the shine.

As a side note, I have found that light tan colored butcher paper, at least what I have, is a perfect match in color and thickness for the original AF diffusser paper found in the passenger cars. I have changed all my bulbs to a yellower, cooler bulb instead of the original, hotter, brighter bulb. I also used that paper and bulb arrangement in my lighted cabooses. On red cabooses it takes away the whole caboose looking as though the caboose is glowing if the caboose is red plastic. On black plastic, painted red and tuscan colored cabooses it gives the interior lighting a dimmer look. Sort of like an old burning oil lamp which could have been used back in the steam days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.