Model Train Forum banner

The beginnings of a new layout..

27K views 266 replies 17 participants last post by  MatroxD 
#1 ·
I had thought long and hard since Micheal advised a few months back that, pretty much my little area was maxed out. I have been in hospital for a little while, and I, at some point had a vision. Nothing complex, but the next step. It required an upgrade in size and rethinking of how I run the layout. Also going to encompass some of the things that I have learned on my small layout.

I am going to try to do some switches. I also going to still do N and HO.. I am doing it simply because I have a good deal of tinkering preformed on my N engines. Basically no other reason. I am finding myself enjoying the simplicity of my HO engines a bit more these days (simply because of the size and what they offer). So my switching is going to be based on the HO models(I may, at some point do a couple N switches, but I'm not sure at this point). I also believe that, I will only run an engine on each line, which I will only have 2 lines this time. I am going to consist my N engines I believe, or I will have a sitting "waiting zone" of sorts..

I cannot say it will be prototypical in any sort, simply because my realism skills imho aren't there. I would like to experiment with some weathering also. These are my goals of this expansion.

For now, I have broken the old layout all the way down, and have begun getting my track plan in order. It has to be simple for me, as I do not know how switches do, or do not affect the DCC circuit. I want to say I saw something about reversing, but I cannot remember. I will have to read on it. I am far enough away from it anyhow that I have time..

I, of course will update as things proceed. For now (today), I built my platform/table, stripped everything from the old platform (I didn't think it would be that difficult or time consuming), hung cleaned everything up, and actually pinned up the track on the layout (my concept plan), and traced it. Tomorrow's goal is to caulk the track to the foam, and honestly that's it, along with soldering the connections on the trackwork. But tomorrow's a new day and we will see how it goes..

But a decent little start..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#195 ·
Ha ha ha.. Lol, it's actually (in mine, and the wife's twisted minds, a dirty peeping dude in drag) just sitting at that spot, because I haven't fully decided yet, whether I am going to keep it there or not.. I just wanted to build that house since it was released.

And Mnnnn, I view your build, your right along with anyone! Yours looks great! But yes, I always have caught onto things fast. It's why my layout is constantly evolving. This honestly is more of an outlet for building things for me. Little things.

And I knew I should have taken at least one picture as I built the boxes/baffles.. But basically they're for the speakers that were in the locomotives. Before, I just had them firing into the air. But I built little enclosures for them, and placed them in the cars with the current keepers. One is firing downward, and the other, in the other loco is firing up. They easily are twice as loud (had to turn them down), and the low tones, as much more pronounced.. Massive difference!

#199 ·
Well, my note today is one of reluctance. I said to self, that I would write a note about the positives and the negatives. I have to install a new pot in the cab04. Received it today.

I am reluctant due to the lack of success with my 1st usb board, and maybe the actual port on that was just damaged. Not quite sure honestly. I don't really want to ruin it. It's strange as much as I have soldered, that I am still reluctant about anything.. But, the only way I will know, is if I try.

Maybe I will get up and attempt it.. Mmnnn... Maybe tomorrow....

Sent from my Note 8 on Tapatalk

#202 · (Edited)
Ha! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Not quite.. Though, that does bring up an idea for future expansion(though, it is outside if my timeline)..

Yes I fixed it, however, I look at it now, as, in comparing to the cab06, that, it us just here for an "in case something happens to one if the other controllers..

And funny thing is, at this one, yes, I can certainly work on the engines. But I'm getting to the point of not really wanting to(at least as hard writing a decoder in, is concerned). The are soooooo many things with a layout that can always be done. I want to improve on, and experiment with a few other things.

#204 ·
Well... The sum of all things, comes from the addition of the basic. So says me.

The layout has pretty much been running itself, as I shift to something new, but that does involve the hobby. The only thing is that i need to become more proficient. How do i do that, and learn? Well, practice, practice and more practice..

In the past week, the crash course has been on extruders, filament, bed and nozzle temps, how many mm/ seconds, and more.

I have learned a great deal. Sometimes the goal is simply the process of learning something new. In this case, I will, after printing my current project that is on the bed, proceed to the first RR related offering: containers and cab holders.

I wish myself luck...

#205 ·
Well, the layout is going fine, and I estimate this weekend to begin train prints. I think I have a pretty good handle over regular prints, and I have some containers I'd like to try for the flat cars.

The layout is also going well with the exception id the PITA N scale. I'm almost ready to just make them static honestly. The ratio of HO to N maintenance is approximately a good 1 to 20. I soon the decision will have to be made. But I will figure that out later.

#208 ·
MASSIVE UPDATE? I HAVE MY FIRST SIGNAL INSTALLED...

Thrilled to death! I have to thank Micheal E.. And his support. It was a long journey and a major fear tackled.. Well over a year in the making! I will make a tiny video at some point, just trying to figure out how. It probably will be along the lines of Michael's.

It involved physically turning the switch machine around, because the aspects were not the correct color when the switches were thrown. Lesser of 2 evils honestly. But they are fully functional, and amajor hurdle overcome!

I only, as usual installed one, just to see exactly how difficult, and what wad involved in the process. I foresee more installations, as the package contained (3) dual aspect(red and green).

I wanted to, and someday will fo the whole block detection/JMRI panel pro setup, but at this point, I believe it may be a bit over my head. So later on that one for sure..

Anyhow, let me go.. I did a lot today..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#209 ·
Looking good! I still have absolutely no buildings, people, vehicles etc.. notta, zip... I have to make the time to get things really going.

I have to ask... that figure in the photo.. he looks rather big. Is he HO scale? Perhaps the figure just looks big because of the angle or something?

#214 ·
Not much besides running on the layout. I have actually flown over the layout more than anything while practicing. Ice begun looking for alternative companies for N scale locomotives. One strong choice is scaletrains. Still not convinced i wish to put more into the N models. Well, that's about it for now.

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

#216 ·
Picked up a few switches to create crossovers in the yard. And I am strongly, strongly considering an incline or second tier on the HO line. I figured and visualized that "mechanically" i could easily add a 1 to 2% grade. This would then, probably prompt more of the hill/rural type of look, that i think would be an improvement over my current design. Besides, it would give me something to do over the winter..

Just tossing around ideas and visions at this point..

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

#221 ·
Well, no winter would be complete without some upgrades/ modifications to the railroad. After growing tired of the modified oval, but feeling stuck somewhat, i decided to see if I could add a leg to the HO. I used the yard space, and somehow managed to get it working smoothly. A small amount of filling was required of course. Next step is to ballast. I still need to add my second and third signals, but getting over on that side even to drill one little hole.. Well, simply haven't been in the mood.

But.. The pictures are the result of my 7 hours of work. I don't think it's going to allow me to run my road switchers, but I will see.

This adds some interest, as it is another experiment with space, depth and going through and center of an area, and not just around that area..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#224 ·
That makes sense

matroxD;

OK now I get it. Yes it would be cool with the gantry crane, especially If you could motorize the crane. A pair of slow-speed gear motors from Hankscraft (see bottom photo) a small electromagnet, some fine wire, and some thread; would be all you'd need. Perhaps you could move it, and the big gray building to the right in your photo, close together, to form one large industry. "The Vulcan Iron Works", or whatever you like. It would make a spectacular display!

Just a suggestion.

BTW I use the Hankscraft motors in my photo to operate turnouts. However four of this bunch open and close four pairs of doors on the engine house above the white part of the control panel.

Good luck, have fun;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

Electronics Technology

Scale model

#231 ·
Hey Traction,

The crane, and anything else you or I could think of, is going to be for the cement facility im building(well, at this point need to finish). That and the surface, which is another decision that had to be made. I ended up being able to fit all 4 buildings, by placing three storage facility behind the silos(I combined the medusa silos, with three Vulcan and have a 16 silo "cube" if you can imagine.

I am not feeling too hot today, or I would have taken photos for you. But suffice it to say, that this complex alone is almost 4 feet. But it looks sweet, even without any paint or weathering(gonna try my hand at it with this facility). So that's what I'm wondering about add fat add the crane.

My layout is "tentatively" based in the 60's from what my buddy mentioned to me(he stated all my Alcos kind of determined my era). A somewhat small town, but the car's are my exception to the era.

From what your saying, sand is the main commodity I will need to lift and transport with the crane and support vehicles. But hmmmnnn just thinking of it, do I need water tanks, such as the dual ones? I will research also, but from what I think your saying I need front end loaders, and other trucks such as dump trucks.. One question though, how would I glue sand? I have grout that is light brown, but my normal formula never seemed to glue the grout down good. That, and I'd need to simulate associated piles of "sand" raw material..

I may have to bite the bullet and just begin buying period specific vehicles.. I think the vehicles overall change the looks of layouts.

#232 ·
add fat add the crane? Gluing sand, or whatever scenery material

MatroxD;

I'm very confused by the words "add fat add the crane in your message above.
As for gluing sand, use white (Elmer's ) glue. I spread a thin layer of full strength glue over a small area (approx. 12" x 12") with a paintbrush. Then I use a tea strainer to sift on a thin layer of sand, dirt, or grass. After that I very lightly spray water with a little alcohol in it over the sand using a household trigger pump sprayer for about 18 away. Let that dry overnight and next morning apply some "dilute white glue" (6 parts water, 1 part glue,1 part alcohol) by dripping it on. I then spray it with water again and let it dry overnight. The photos show the results using finely ground real dirt and ground foam grass.

regards;

Room

Machine Radial arm saw

Landscape Games

#233 ·
Ahhh man.. That's my crazy keyboard(I forgot to pre read before posting). If there's one thing not smart about smartphones are the keyboards.. ugh..

And cool! That looks awesome! I will screen grab your instructions.. That first step with the white glue, do you think I could user mod podge the same way? Ahhh.. White glue costs nothing.. I will grab some tomorrow...

#234 ·
Elmer's glue not mod podge

MatroxD;

Mod podge is great for water, because it dries clear, and very shiny.(see photos)
It would not be good for dry land scenery because it drys very shiny, and sand, dirt, grass, etc. are not shiny, they're dull flat materials.
Elmer's glue or, (if you want a more expensive product for some odd reason) acrylic matte medium, dry flat.

regards;

Rock Geology Geological phenomenon Bedrock Outcrop

Water

Drum Scale model Water tower

Metal

#235 · (Edited)
Having virtually lived on a road construction site back in the 50's, there was an enormous pile of sand, a crane with a dragline bucket and 2 silos for the cement. There was a rock pile somewhere but it was the sand pile that was neat to play on - until the police showed up! The cement truck would drive under the silos and sand, rocks and cement would be metered in, then water was added and off the trucks went to mix on the way to where the pavement was put down. No TV back then but I had construction to watch every day! Watched them build 2 RR overpasses (NKP and B&O I think) using 2 different methods. One bridge was built next to the RR and then in one day was "rolled" in place! The other used a more conventional temporary trestle with the bridge built in place. (Fostoria Ohio Midblock)

#237 ·
Having virtually lived on a road construction site back in the 50's, their was an enormous pile of sand, a crane with a dragline bucket and 2 silos for the cement. There was a rock pile somewhere but it was the sand pile that was neat to play on - until the police showed up! The cement truck would drive under the silos and sand, rocks and cement would be metered in, then water was added and off the trucks went to mix on the way to where the pavement was put down. No TV back then but I had construction to watch every day! Watched them build 2 RR overpasses (NKP and B&O I think) using 2 different methods. One bridge was built next to the RR and then in one day was "rolled" in place! The other used a more conventional temporary trestle with the bridge built in place. (Fostoria Ohio Midblock)
Thanks lemon! I need and needed all that input. Along with what traction had told me, you description is most helpful. So I will need a few machines to go in that space. The rock, sand and gravel piles are going to be the challenge to make for me I think. Basically just how to create a pile that will stay in one place. Maybe the Elmer's method traction mentioned?

Trucks/ vehicles needed:

1. Dump truck: to carry the blasted boulders.
2. Cement truck: to simulate a point to point job load pickup
3. Caterpillar type crane with claws: to move sand, gravel, e.t.c
4. A pickup: for facility staff
5. Front loader: as traction mentioned to also pick up materials
6. A rail car/ crane: to move rail cars as traction mentioned..

That's my tentative list, any other type of vehicles you all think are needed to fill out the scene?

#239 ·
Well, crazy up and down temps have me feeling like my head is in a vice.. Nonetheless, I push forward....

I figured out, with a small modification, I could install the road house behind the concrete facility.. Proto- of course not.. But it looks cool..

My"imaginary thought process"- they run and of course service, their own rail line in this small semi rural self contained city. All of the inhabitants of the small town, are in someway tied to the concrete facility, whether it be directly or say, the wives and families of the workers. That sounds good to me, so it's what I'm rolling with.. At least for now..

That's all for now. Back to the nyquil and bed...

#240 · (Edited)
Blue "roadhouse?"

MatroxD;

I hope your feeling better! Colds and flu are no fun at all! :(
Your concrete plant looks great! Besides being a nice looking model, it also helps disguise the sharp (but necessary) track curve by blocking our view of part of that curve. This is an old, and often-used modeler's trick. Space limitations force most of us into using some sort of oval main line in order to have continuous running. The oval and the fact that the trains are basically running round and round it, are often all-too-obvious. This spoils the illusion we'd like to create of a busy railroad transporting people and/or freight from some "point A" to a seperate "point B." Covering up dividing or blocking the view of part of the oval helps. Good job! I don't see a "roadhouse" in the sense of a rural cowboy-themed bar, in your photos. Maybe you mean the nice blue building with white trim that' on the right in the last photo? That looks good. It looks like a small simple form of apartment house or rooming house. If that's what it is, I wouldn't sweat the location near the concrete plant or the railroad track. Plenty of real world, older "Low-income housing", is close to industries and/or railroads. Your storyline sounds reasonable too. Many small rural towns were founded by railroads and often they existed for one industry, which did employ nearly everybody in that little community. There were many, and still are some "coal towns" in the U.S. for example. My prototype, the Milwaukee Road, was one of two employers in the village of Cedar Falls, WA. I have a small representation of Cedar Falls, on my layout. So far, "Cedar Falls" consists of an engine house and a small train station & track. (see photos) I plan to add more structures later, but right now I'm working on another area.

Overall, great job!

Get well dude! :eek:

Machine Radial arm saw

Roof Wood House Scale model

Art Wood Painting

Room Architecture Attic Floor Ceiling

Electronics Technology

Drum Scale model Water tower

Metal

#241 ·
Hey traction!

I actually started 2 replies and fell out from nyquil.. But yes, I didn't know it was a modelers trick, but when I did the first "behind the building", it just seemed more interesting to me. I didn't know why, but it did.

This time it was a deliberate, attempt. I wanted to simulate a train going into and under the silos to pickup loads. The road house(it's really a locomotive repair shop) was just an added bonus.

I will have to take another shot to show what it actually does, but now it goes through the owning in the silos, then, into the back of, and out one of the front doors of the repair shop. Then, it snakes through the 2 it's, and behind the last building of the cement factory(right most building). So, actually the whole back wal, the train is only seen snippets of time.

And that light blue house is more of a colonial type. I honestly thought about the cities where I live. We have such a tremendous industrial presence, that honestly, the trains go through both the lower, middle, and high income areas(we all share the noise).

But as an aside, the rail lines are so complex and numerous, that honestly, if I can increase my skill level, I would love to do my local. We have massive industry, with automotive, steel, salt mine, natural gas, Dow chemical, cement, water treatment, and more. Then, across the river, we have another country. Not to mention the barges up and down the river. It would be a monumental scratch building challenge. And this is all within probably a 20 to 30 mile radius. There is so much here honestly..

And it goes without saying, that my skills are nowhere near where they'd need to be. But that is my dream layout.

Im trying to remember what else after this long reply..[emoji28][emoji28][emoji28]

#243 · (Edited)
Detroit?

MatroxD;

Watch out for that nyquil stuff, it sounds pretty powerful! :laugh:

It sounds like you are living inside your dream, in a way, or else inside the prototype for a lot of 4x8 model railroads, track in everyone's backyard! :laugh:
Do you live in Detroit? Since "Across the river is another country"and there is automobile industry nearby, Detroit sounds like a reasonable guess. Of course San Diego, where I live, is also across a river from another country, and some automobiles, or parts thereof, are made in Mexico. You may need to start saving your pennies to buy a warehouse or bowling alley. That's about the amount of space you would need to build all the things you mentioned on your dream layout! ;)

I still can't identify which of your structures is the roadhouse, not that it really matters. I guessed the blue house because, well it was the only house I could see, and it looks too large to be a single-family home. It's a nice looking structure, whatever its "official" designation. (by you)

Skills in model railroading, as in anything else, are only acquired by practice & experience. I've got over forty years of those things under my belt. There is nothing wrong with "out of the box kits, except high cost, and non-infinite selection.
If there had been a really nice N-scale plastic kit for Seattle Union Station available, I could have saved a lot of scratch-building effort! :D Unfortunately the potential profit making demand for hundreds of models of that particular structure didn't exist, so neither did a kit. :( I was able to form the two long walls from kitbashing of commercial models, but the rest had to be scratch-built. I had fun building it, and I'm pleased with the result. I need to take new pictures of the station, since I've added some more detail.

My favorite weathering material is chalk. It looks great, it's cheap, and it's easy to use. You should give it a try. Weathering a structure could be a good "It's freezing outside & I feel crummy inside" activity while you're sick.
I bought a basic set of "pastel chalks" from the craft department of my local Walmart for $3 years ago, and I'm still using them. They may have rocketed up in price to $5 or so by now, but that's still cheap.
Be sure to get "pastel chalks" not "pastels" which are like crayons, and not suitable for weathering. Pastel chalks come in little rectangular sticks about 3/8" square and 3" long.

You can apply chalk in three different ways.

1) Scraping along the stick with an X-acto knife will produce home made, inexpensive, "weathering powders." That's all those high-priced commercial weathering powders are, finely ground, colored, chalk; at about 1000% price markup! By the way, if you have a lot of brick buildings to weather, you can use powdered chalk made to be used in a "chalk line" tool. The flat red/ pink color is good for bricks. You can buy it at Home Depot.

2) Chalk can also be applied directly, by gently scraping a stick of chalk across the wall of a structure, and then using a finger to spread it around.

3) My own favorite way to apply chalk is to "paint" it on with an artist's paintbrush dipped in water. I drag the wet brush along the chalk stick, and then brush the water/chalk mixture onto the model. The brick station, tugboat, and freight cars, in the photos were weathered using chalk.

Nyquil may be giving you a less-than-subtle-hint to sleep more, and model railroad less. Get well soon. :)

Scale model Architecture Building Brick Vehicle

Scale model Property Building Architecture House

Building Room Architecture Arch Arcade

Machine Gas Metal

Vehicle Tugboat Boat Ship Watercraft

Transport Vehicle Wood Rolling stock Railroad car

Vehicle Lighter Scale model

#244 · (Edited)
Hey traction.. Yes im in the hub of all industry madness.. It really would take, add you said a small building to do a layout based off Detroit accurately. There are so many lines intertwined within each little satellite city. And then, there's the history aspect and what one would choose to attempt to recreate.

And then, there's the skill, that, even of I tried, I'm not there yet. I am going to try and do some of the pastel chalk. That was an awesome tip and thank you. The only thing is they were saying oil pastels where i looked. I'd that's the correct thing, they're massively cheap.. I am sending the wife to pick up a set for me tomorrow. What do you use to seal the chalk weathering after your done? Im actually excited to try it.. Chalks seem like they'd be very forgiving..

And the nyquil... Well, that's why im just responding. I wad in a haze for 2 days..

#248 ·
"Roadhouse?!!

MatroxD;

Thanks for clearing up, "The case of the invisible roadhouse" mystery. That big brown building looks more like an engine house than a roadhouse to me. Can't see Patrick Swayze working as a bouncer in that building! :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.