Model Train Forum banner

S Gauge Track recommendations

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  AmFlyer 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Before you point me to the search feature, please rest assured i've done that and haven't found the answer to my question. :)

I'm building a 54"x72" layout for my son and have the table constructed. I now need to find the best track to use and am asking for some recommendations on what I should look for.

The layout will have:
1. A siding
2. An inner loop
3. Probably a crossover

This means im looking for turnouts and a crossover section. I am fine with bending flexible track, but do not have the time to build turnouts/customize to that level.

What are the best track options that offer remote powered turnouts and a crossover option without a ton of fabrication?

I've heard about these so far but don't have a clear picture of what is best
- SHS
- MTH
- GarGraves
- AF Fastrack

See less See more
#3 ·
You left out American Models. I do not know what you mean by a crossover. MTH and SHS do not offer a crossing track. Gilbert only made 90 degree crossings. FasTrack and AM offer shallow angle crossings.
I recommend you try sketching the track plan using 40" diameter curves and see what fits. This is the smallest curve diameter in S gauge. Then start looking at brands of track. For the size space you have original Gilbert is likely the cheapest and best choice.

#7 ·
Ignorant N-scaler wants to learn some basics of American Flyer

Amflyer;

Over in the "Beginner's Q&A" section I attempted to help a "newbie" who wants to build a layout for a little four-year-old boy with some old American Flyer trains he has on hand.
I soon realised that while i've been active in N-scale for over forty years, and have some earlier experience with HO-scale, and O-27 Marx & Lionel three-rail O-gage, I know practically nothing about American Flyer or S-scale.
The newbie said he had first looked here on the S-scale forum, but couldn't find whatever info he was looking for.
I have, just now, looked up American Flyer trains on wikipedia and learned a lot of the company's history and perhaps the answer to one of my basic questions. Does A/F run on AC or DC? It apparently started with neither, ( wind-up clockwork) then AC, & now DC. Is that correct?
I saw Gargraves track mentioned here along with other brands. I think the newbie has what may be some original A/F flyer track, but no turnouts. What kid of turnouts are available for American Flyer, and do they share the same basic design used in N,HO,and O-scale two-rail DC ? Even I know that Lionel three-rail turnouts bear little resemblance to those of smaller scales, as I have some to be used on a future layout for my four-year-old grandson.

Finally, and ,most importantly, could you, and perhaps some other American Flyer experts, look in the"Beginner's Q&A"section and help this guy out? I think I've given him what little help I can.

Thank you;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

#4 ·
Thank you so much. American models looks great!

Is it possible to have a curve less than 40" in diameter or is that a bad idea?

Also one question about the American Models track, this part:

T14821, 21-inch rad S-42 Track

Does the S-42 mean it is a 42" diameter curve?

#5 ·
21 inch radius would be 42 diameter. I like Gargraves but like Tom says they do not make a crossover. I am planning a S layout and want a figure 8. I am going to use original Gilbert track. Mainly due to cost. I have a 90 degree Gilbert cross over. Because of space I wanted a smaller degree of crossover. The only one I could find was Fastrack. It is 45 degree.So I have bought one and the 4 transition tracks that are needed to hook back up with Gilbert track. I think the transition tracks are kinda Mickey Mouse. But I will make it work. The Gilbert turnouts are pretty good and a lot cheaper than the other brands. If you go with
Gilbert track I would sell my Gilbert 90 degree crossover for $5.00 plus shipping. Should be less than anything on ebay. Its in
good condition.

I would not go smaller than 40 inch curves. Plus I do not know of any. In fact I am buying K-Line 27 radius curves. So 54
diameter. Not made anymore and hard to find. Looks almost identical to Gilbert track.

Welcome to the S forum.

#6 ·
If you use flex track and make the curves a smaller diameter the equipment will not work.
AM makes two crossovers, a 30deg and a 75deg. Gilbert made a 90deg. FasTrack has a 90 and a 45deg. SHS/MTH does not make any.
S42 means the curve diameter is 42" to the outside of the ties. It is 2" bigger than the Gilbert curves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.