Model Train Forum banner

Japan's Railway History

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  rogerfarnworth 
#1 ·
Cape Gauge was used in many countries throughout the world. It has been identified primarily with the Cape Colony in South Africa but was used first in the UK on a variety of tramways. Later its use extended into a number of countries in the Far East including New Zealand, Indonesia and in particular Japan.

Cape Gauge was chosen as the 'standard gauge' in Japan. This post provides an introduction to the historic railways of Japan. The story includes a variety of different gauges. The use of different gauges seems at least as complex as the situation in the UK.

https://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/01/09/japanese-railway-history-cape-gauge

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
#9 ·
The Kiso Forest Railways - Part E

I am indebted to a number of Japanese language websites for many of the photographs in this series of posts. I am glad to say that I have been able to contact the site owners and have full permission to reproduce the photographs from their sites.

You will see that I am particularly grateful for permission from the site owner of 'rintetsu.net' for many of the photos in this next post.

On that site you will find considerably more photographs of the route covered here.

This next post covers the Forest Railway which leaves the JR Chuo Line at Yabuhara in the Kiso Forest area - The Ogiso Forest Railway.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/03/0...o-railway-part-e-the-ogiso-line-from-yabuhara

#11 ·
Here in Los Angeles we have public TV station 28, which frequently runs a show: "Railway Journal" which is in Japan..Japan is train crazy !! They honor their trains very highly and have a glut of different Rwys, old and new with a great variation of loco styles and livery (actually a bit too many if you ask me)..Much of their track is what we'd call narrow gauge. But there is standard gauge as well..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.