Model Train Forum banner

Can motors

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  AmFlyer 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me if you can install a can motor and electronic reverse unit in a 336. I read where they do not recommend installing them in the bigger engines. My 336 has the smaller motor. If not what are my options?

#2 ·
Someone must have misread the writeup on the Port Lines information page. Portlines does not recommend the half speed can motor/worm gear variation for use in a 4-8-4 Northern. The standard worm gear version is fine.
Also look at snstrains.com. They are the ones who make the conversion kits.

#5 ·
I have two 332AC engines. one always had a problematic reverse unit despite my repair efforts. I just added an electronic reverse unit in the tender without physically removing the old reverse unit. Works great, the engine runs great, just like Mopac says.
There is no benefit to a large motor unless the engine has PulMor wheels, even then it is marginal.
Can motors can be used but unless the original motor is bad the main reason would be to facilitate operation with DCC.

#6 ·

I have done a lot of repairs to this 336 and still have some problems. I think I pulled 5 cars with it though. I did not check Portline article but I did read some train magazines and watched a few u tube segments who said to watch the bigger engines. I am not sure I am even going to change it. I will disassemble one more time and then make a decision. All my other engines run so well I thought I might try the 336 since I was just starting out when I repaired 1st time. All my smaller engines run great or I would do one of those, and still may. Almost all my stuff is original AF but I just wanted to try a conversion. Just exploring my options and making sure before I do anything.

#8 ·
A 336 should pull at least 15 freight cars. If not something is not working correctly. The first thing I do is connect a known good tender to the engine to make sure the problem is the engine and not the tender power pickups, reverse unit or the wiring harness. If it turns out to be a bad motor then a can motor replacement is an alternative.
Good Luck, let us know what you find.

#11 ·

OK...replaced wiring, finger contacts, clean and polish drum and reverse unit, cleaned wheels and linkage.
thought I replaced reverse unit contacts 1st time but only added solder.
Running and smoking great
Pulling 9 cars with no problem and ok around curves now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.