Model Train Forum banner

Please evaluate my layout

12K views 104 replies 20 participants last post by  time warp 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I would like an evaluation of this layout. I am running DC, and using Peco insufrog turnouts. What do I need to be mindful of. After reading the layout posts am a little nervous.

View attachment img120.pdf

#2 ·
You are going to be asked what scale...HO right?
Maybe add the dimensions?

I think it looks good but what do I know.:smokin:

One thing I would change is the switch/turnout on the inside loop to the sidings.
I would put it back more by the curves, that way you can have longer sidings.
If you can't move it I would add more track to make the sidings longer.

But that is me....I would want a larger yard for them.

What are your plans for the sidings?

#3 ·
Nice layout with plenty of activity built in.

I don't see anything to worry about. You can't do better
than the Peco Insulfrog turnouts. There is one thing
to be aware of. They are power routing, so any spur or
yard dead end track will lose power when the turnout
points are set against it. You can keep the power on by
running drops to your buss from the two frog rails.

Your drawing shows sectional track. I would suggest
that flex track will be easier to install.

Will you be running two trains at the same time?

If so you would want insulated joiners where the two ovals
are connected by the 4 crossover turnouts. Then you would
need double pole double throw switches to control the power
to each oval and from two power packs.

Don

#4 ·
A lot of open space inside the left end of the layout. What do you plan to do with it? A town? Country scenery? Industries? If industries, you might want to add a spur from the bottom-center of the inside track to the industries -- so that you can deliver freight to them.

#5 ·
Thank you all so much for the feed back, I knew I could count on you folks. Layout is 4x8, HO, DC. I used the Atlas track planer to get this idea. I started with Bachmann ez track because that's what came with the 2 sets of trains that I bought for my grand kids. (me being one of them) I have since switch to flex. Yes, I would like to run 2 trains at the same time. The yard has an engine house next to the inside track on the switch side as far right as I can get it. I also have the Glacier gravel kit on that side more to the bottom side of the oval. I want to use the yard to park rolling stock and have a sand and water tower to service the locos. After looking at my layout I agree I have room for maybe another spur into that space between the engine house and the Gravel company. On the left side of the oval I plan a town. The layout has a lake / river that starts near the side with the switch tracks and continues down across the layout. I have 2 bridges that cross at the bottom side of the oval. As it turns out I have to order more flex and turnouts for that extra spur. Again thank you all advice and suggestions much appreciated. I will try to post some pics as I go.
Joe

#9 ·
I also have the Glacier gravel kit on that side more to the bottom side of the oval. ..... On the left side of the oval I plan a town. The layout has a lake / river that starts near the side with the switch tracks and continues down across the layout. I have 2 bridges that cross at the bottom side of the oval..
Joe
If you can find room for a quarry near the town, you could add a short spur there. Then you could shuttle hoppers of rock to the gravel company.

#11 ·
I certainly wouldn't be nervous. About the only thing you can do that would be a really unrecoverable disaster is to put a track right to the edge of the layout and run a train off the edge onto the floor. Enjoy it. If you make a mistake, slap your forehead and move forward. We've all done it.

The only thing I would recommend further is that you look into DCC. This will greatly simplify the wiring and operation of two trains, especially on a small layout where you don't have a lot of room for blocks.

The other thing I notice is that your track is misaligned in the lower left. You'll want to fix that by changing the length of one of your short segments (another good reason to use flex track). DON'T fudge it to join up -- the resulting kink will be your worst nightmare. I do NOT know this from personal experience... no, Sir, I do not. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it).

#12 ·
CTValleyRR, you correct about the misalignment, however that is the way the track planer lays it out pictorially. In actuality it lines up, and yes i am using flex track. I will have to think about DCC. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
Joe

#17 ·
possibilities for future erxpansion

I like to add here, If I could?
Maybe you could put a passing siding on the parallel curves?
I think that would add a another dimension to continuous running operations.
Good luck with your empire.
Also, when/if.... you finally have the room/ or space. That layout there would make an excellent starting point to add on to(modularly speeking"L" shape). Good luck for/in the future:)
Regards,tr1

#21 ·
Okay, I finally got the flex track down and snapped some pics. I have not soldered all the joints and I have not cut and fit all the track yet. You will see where I have over laid the track in some places so you folks can see where am heading. Open to suggestions. Now I have to see where do I put the insulated joiners now that I will be running DCC, again open to suggestions. Also note, all the white styra foam marked with an X will be removed, they are the remnants of the EZ track that I Abandoned. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks Joe

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
Okay guys, I would like your opinions on my town's buildings layout. Am thinking a park in the center of town. Maybe a church in the middle or offset. The area on the left in front of the train station and to the right of will be station parking. To the bottom will be a stone quarry. The truck is at the entrance of the quarry. Am thinking a service road (indicated by pieces of wood etc.) on the right side along the tracks. This road would be joined by the Main street from town continue over the river to the Gravel company, engine house and yard facilities. My town might need more buildings. Not sure what type or how many. That's where you guys come in. See attached pic's. Scale model Stadium Urban design Sport venue Games

Scale model Track Race track

Scale model Track

Scale model Stadium Sport venue
Thanks in advance for your help.
Joe

#25 ·
After sleeping on the layout plan, I exchanged locations with the upper left hand building next to the barber shop and the building on the lower right side. I think I should include a fire station on the left bottom near the spur. Also I would like to drop in a bait shop / pier on the back side of the left side buildings. Am going to need some more vehicles. I take some more pic's later today. Thanks again.
Joe

#28 ·
I have two observations.

1) More isn't necessarily better. For my money, I would make what you have look good rather than trying to add even more structures.

2) Watch the width of your streets. Prototype streets (at least, those that don't predate cars) have 13' lanes, and sometimes 8' parking areas. A little compression is fine, but make them too narrow and it will look funny.

You can also look at Hokie's threads in My Layout and Layout Design areas. He was wrestling with similar issues.

#30 ·
Thanks DonR, CTV and Cycleops, good things to consider I knew I could count on you guys.
Matt, am having a heck of a time trying to locate a fire house and bait shop. Walthers has a nice fire house but it won't be available till May. i'll keep looking, maybe someone will point me in the right direction. Well, back to work on the railroad. Btw, how are you doing with yours?
Joe

#31 ·
Thanks Matt, having a heck of a time trying to locate a fire house and bait shop. Walthers has a nice fire house but it won't be available till May. i'll keep looking, maybe someone will point me in the right direction. Well, back to work on the railroad. Btw, how are you doing with yours?
Joe
Job hunting has me too depressed to work on it. Plus I need to spend some money on it and more important things over ride that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.