Model Train Forum banner

Atlas O Center Rail not black. What the heck?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Lee Willis 
#1 ·
Ugh, just came back from 40 minute drive each way to a Miami store to support local business and the two pieces of Atlas O 6053 I bought don't have the top of the center rail painted black. The part number is correct. Sides are fine. ARGHHHHH. The 6050 piece I bought is fine.

Is this common? Any fix that holds up and doesn't interfere electrically?

Track Metal

See less See more
#3 ·
I had some Atlas track I was using for a test track. It had the black center rail. The first time I cleaned it, the center railhead turned bright silver.

It looks like Atlas just blackened the web and base and left the head shiny as it will end up that way eventually.

Just my take on it. I may be wrong...

Tom

#4 ·
Well, the top won't stay dark anyway once you start running trains, so I would not worry about it. On mine, about six years since having replaced all my Fastrak with Atlas, I now have shiny metal on all the center rails.

#9 ·
As far as I know, Atlas-O center rail was always black. But many folks said they encountered a residue that caused conductivity issues. (Not sure WHY that's the case, because Gargraves/Ross users never encountered that issue.) So everybody buffed the black top off the center rail of their Atlas-O track anyway -- resulting in much better performance.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.