Model Train Forum banner

flex track?

835 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  QueenoftheGN 
#1 ·
when i bend my flex track (atlas) it just snaps back to normal is it suppose to do that?:confused:

#2 ·
Yes, there is some 'springing' in flex track and why, when laying
curves, you want to use stick pins and the like to hold
it to your design until the glue sets. Also, if a joint occurs on a curve you'll want to solder the rail joints in around a
2 inch offset manner to avoid kinks.

Don

#3 ·
You don't bend the curve and lay it with two pieces of flex track until it is soldered together. Each piece for electrical continuity and kink-free track should be laid in that way.

I cut the track ends flush, solder it, and then bend it and attach it with track nails. The subsequent piece gets the same treatment. This ensures rock solid, kink-free performance from your track.

If you don't know how to solder yet, you'll have to learn. Model railroading is a multi-discipline hobby and you have to be a jack-of-all-trades to successfully build a working model railroad that is not going to frustrate you to death with derailments, stoppages, unknown anomalies, and generally poor operation.

#4 ·
You should look into MicroEngineering flex track. It is stiff, and takes a little effort to shape, but once shaped, it hold that shape unless you reshape it. I've used it for years (in HO).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.