Artificial Coal - Page 4 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Beginner Q & A
Forgotten your password?

Beginner Q & A If you're new to model trains, stop in here!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #31
Don F
Dispatcher
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ashley PA
Posts: 1,083
Scales Modeled: 3 Rail O Gauge mostly scale
At the recent York train meet, Al Zamorski of Millhouse River Studios demonstrated his new rotary coal dump using Brennens real coal. There is no dust, and the coal is large enough and heavy enough to dump without flying all over. The coal is a bit larger then the more common 'Chestnut' coal, but all different sizes of coal were hauled in hoppers. A material I use is Black Beauty sand blast grit, which can be found at building supply places. The fine grit is scale sized for Chestnut. However, there are some different colored bits, and some tubular shaped bits that I remove when making loads.
__________________
Don F
Don F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #32
jta552
Hobo
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jamestown, NY
Posts: 46
USA Blankety blank Coal

That is why I sold my coal ramp and loader. Just got tired of the mess.
jta552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #33
WMnut
Hobo
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Lake Placid Florida
Posts: 36
Scales Modeled: O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don F View Post
At the recent York train meet, Al Zamorski of Millhouse River Studios demonstrated his new rotary coal dump using Brennens real coal. There is no dust, and the coal is large enough and heavy enough to dump without flying all over. The coal is a bit larger then the more common 'Chestnut' coal, but all different sizes of coal were hauled in hoppers. A material I use is Black Beauty sand blast grit, which can be found at building supply places. The fine grit is scale sized for Chestnut. However, there are some different colored bits, and some tubular shaped bits that I remove when making loads.
Great information here, i always went to the York train show when i lived in Maryland and Delaware, living in Florida is just too far away, and i miss that.
Thanks for your message.
WMnut
WMnut is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #34
WMnut
Hobo
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Lake Placid Florida
Posts: 36
Scales Modeled: O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jta552 View Post
That is why I sold my coal ramp and loader. Just got tired of the mess.
Yeah i get that, thanks
WMnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #35
Don F
Dispatcher
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ashley PA
Posts: 1,083
Scales Modeled: 3 Rail O Gauge mostly scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMnut View Post
Great information here, i always went to the York train show when i lived in Maryland and Delaware, living in Florida is just too far away, and i miss that.
Thanks for your message.
WMnut
You're welcome. Good luck with your project, what ever material you finally settle on.
__________________
Don F
Don F is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


» Visit These Sites:
LGB World

Or Our European Train Website ModelRailForum




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.