It's Alive! - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > Tinplate
Forgotten your password?

Tinplate The place for tinplate of all scales, locomotives, rolling stock, accessories

Old 12-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
rkenney
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, O27, N, STD Gauge
Wipe Sweat From Brow It's Alive!

Well it's been awhile. I had amazing problems with my wheels. After grinding the axle shoulder off the inside of the non-geared wheels and tinkering with spacing I have finally achieved a runable wheel set. I do believe that I will have to buy some new wheels, however, as they seem to have gotten 'fatter' than they should be. Oh well I still need headlights and couplers anyway.

Here's the first run:
rkenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
Millstonemike
Engineer

It's so pretty, Dr. Frankenstein would be jealous.

Does that have a double reduction motor? And it has an E-unit? It may not be the original motor for the #10 (not sure).

ttender.com has new wheels for that (both the wit and w/o the gear boss). $11.00 each plus shipping. Part numbers SM-72 (plain wheel) and SM-75 (with gear boss). Among other parts (headlight, whistle, etc.) listed under Lionel Pre-war alpha parts.

STD 10.png
Millstonemike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
rkenney
Dispatcher

Thanks, good to know about the wheels. It is a common problem for std gauge, and the complaint has always been that you need to buy MEW wheels as sets of four ($44).

If you look at some of my earlier std posts you will see the body is a 1926 10 (strap headlights-no reverse unit). The motor and frame I acquired separately is a 30s build-a-loco motor with a pendulum reverse (forward and reverse only). It works great after much trial and error.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
rkenney
Dispatcher

Thanks, good to know about the wheels. It is a common problem for std gauge, and the complaint has always been that you need to buy MEW wheels as sets of four ($44).

If you look at some of my earlier std posts you will see the body is a 1926 10 (strap headlights-no reverse unit). The motor and frame I acquired separately is a 30s build-a-loco motor with a pendulum reverse (forward and reverse only). It works great after much trial and error.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
Millstonemike
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenney View Post

Ah, was it you that posted on the pendulum repair - eventually bending an element just a touch to getting it working reliably? If so, I didn't realize it was standard gauge when reading that thread. I've never been to the standard gauge forum. Was it posted in the Tinplate forum?
Millstonemike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
rkenney
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstonemike View Post
Ah, was it you that posted on the pendulum repair - eventually bending an element just a touch to getting it working reliably? If so, I didn't realize it was standard gauge when reading that thread. I've never been to the standard gauge forum. Was it posted in the Tinplate forum?
That was me. MTF doesn't have a STD gauge section. Most of my research is done on OGR, the Standard Gauge mail list, or Tin Plate Times.