help choosing a new engine to pull vintage cars - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
J.Albert1949
Conductor

OP:

Something to be aware of re the older Proto2000 locomotives...

These are all "new-old-stock". LifeLike (who was the original manufacturer of the "Proto2000" lineup) made their last engines around 2004-2005 at which time they sold the business to Walthers.

So... you're likely going to have to go to ebay (or other used sources) to find them.

Some will be essentially "new in the box" -- never actually run (but still old).
Others will be "used, but excellent" -- perhaps pre-owned with little or no use, again, never taken out of the box.
They're almost all at least 15-20+ years old.
But don't be put off by that.

Be aware that a number of early Proto2000 engines had a problem with cracking gears on the wheel axles. This requires that you replace the gears (full wheelsets with good gears are available cheap) -- you have to pop off the "bottom plate" on the trucks, and put the new gears in. It may also be necessary to clean out some of the old grease inside (which looks like peanut butter).

But once cleaned up, these engines can run VERY well.
Two of my best "runners" are old Proto2000 GP's that I had to break down and clean up. But once reassembled -- smooth and quiet!
J.Albert1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #12
d_obie_33
Hobo

Although I could not get a picture the model on the baggage car is 221-22 dual lighted aluminum streamliner
d_obie_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #13
d_obie_33
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Albert1949 View Post
OP:

Something to be aware of re the older Proto2000 locomotives...

These are all "new-old-stock". LifeLike (who was the original manufacturer of the "Proto2000" lineup) made their last engines around 2004-2005 at which time they sold the business to Walthers.

So... you're likely going to have to go to ebay (or other used sources) to find them.

Some will be essentially "new in the box" -- never actually run (but still old).
Others will be "used, but excellent" -- perhaps pre-owned with little or no use, again, never taken out of the box.
They're almost all at least 15-20+ years old.
But don't be put off by that.

Be aware that a number of early Proto2000 engines had a problem with cracking gears on the wheel axles. This requires that you replace the gears (full wheelsets with good gears are available cheap) -- you have to pop off the "bottom plate" on the trucks, and put the new gears in. It may also be necessary to clean out some of the old grease inside (which looks like peanut butter).

But once cleaned up, these engines can run VERY well.
Two of my best "runners" are old Proto2000 GP's that I had to break down and clean up. But once reassembled -- smooth and quiet!
I'm currently bidding on 2 separate ones on eBay, they are both essentially new in box/demo/barely used so I'm hoping for the best
d_obie_33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #14
J.Albert1949
Conductor

d obie wrote:
"I'm currently bidding on 2 separate ones on eBay, they are both essentially new in box/demo/barely used so I'm hoping for the best"

Be aware that even though the older Proto2000 engines have "never-run", that they STILL may have the cracked gear problem. Age may have more to do with that then does "mileage".

Then again, they may be fine.

Buying these is kinda like what Forrest Gump observed:
"It's like a box of chocolates -- you never know what you're getting!"
J.Albert1949 is offline   Reply With Quote