Need all of your threads on HOW-TOs, etc - Page 15 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 01-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #141
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
I like the earbud idea!

When small is a necessity I use 30 coated wire. Basically for winding motors or just jewelry craft. I was the smallest wire in the old Radio shack three pack

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkM...BLo3pJN1FGE1Gg
T-Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #142
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Simple cheap LED tester

I use 3-volt, flat disc, watch batteries to test LEDs. The problem was that holding the leads to the battery was sometimes problematic, at best. This wasn't the case when testing a single 3mm or 5mm LED. Then I could simply fit the battery between the leads and squeeze a little. However, surface mount LEDs and circuits containing LEDs (ie. inside a lighted structure) were a very different story.
So, I made this simple gadget from a clothespin, two brass brads, some bits of wire, and two mini alligator clips. It works quite well. I drilled through the jaws of the clothespin then inserted the brads with their heads meeting inside the clothespin's jaws. I then soldered red(+) and black(-) wires to the brass brads, and cut off the excess length of the brads. I soldered the mini alligator clips to the other end of the red & black wire leads. For good measure, I painted the halves of the clothespin red and black so I could always be sure of polarity when inserting the battery. By the way, don't leave the battery in the clothespin when you're not using it. The leads have a nasty tendency to short to each other and deplete the battery. Also note that I did not include a resistor. With only three volts and limited on time, it's not really necessary to use a current limiting resistor, but you could easily add one if you want to.

Traction Fan

3v battery holder2.jpg

3v battery holder1.jpg

3v battery holder3.jpg
Old 11-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #143
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Why not go with the fancy option for less than $3? I've worn one of these out plugging stuff in, I have a new one coming. It has all current ranges so you can test any type of LED.

Mini Handy 2~150mA LED Tester Test Box for Light-emitting Diode

gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote