New to model trains - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 10-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
Diesel Fuel
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: HO
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhawk View Post
Think about 5x9, that extra foot makes for better curves. Also consider open frame work with 1x2's then you can do away with the heavy plywood.
+1 for doing away with plywood
Diesel Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #12
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree, & 1 S locomotive
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Fuel View Post
+1 for doing away with plywood

You can just get a thin sheet of plywood for extra strength for underneath the foam board.
It should not make it that much heavier.

If you should accidentally lean the wrong way in the wrong spot you could go right through the foam board.

Up to you.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
[email protected]
Hobo

Thank you all for the info
Shorty@1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #14
[email protected]
Hobo

What to start getting info on locos. I don’t know what i want to have sound and lights down the road but for now i want to run a train and add as i can is it possible to buy a loco that will be able to do this
Old 10-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #15
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post
If you should accidentally lean the wrong way in the wrong spot you could go right through the foam board.
Not if it's supported with joists. 2" foamboard supported on 18" centers will hold my weight, and I'm not a small guy (230#).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #16
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What to start getting info on locos. I don’t know what i want to have sound and lights down the road but for now i want to run a train and add as i can is it possible to buy a loco that will be able to do this
Of course. But if you know you want the sound eventually, I'd recommend just getting the DCC w/ sound version of the loco right of the bat. That's a heck of a lot easier than adding a decoder and speaker(s) after the fact.

A DCC locomotive will run on DC, if you don't want to sink the money for a DCC starter set just yet. If you're going to buy a power pack, though, then again, I would just bite the bullet and get the DCC set you want.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #17
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree, & 1 S locomotive
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
Not if it's supported with joists. 2" foamboard supported on 18" centers will hold my weight, and I'm not a small guy (230#).

Is that how you make some lakes?
Just kneel on the layout?

OK, I stand corrected, don't waste money on any wood.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #18
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

Always a dilemma on how to begin. If you start with a DCC ready Locomotive (No DCC but easy to plug in a decoder for an additional 25-100 depending upon sound capability) then you miss out on triggering bells and whistles with the "throttle", but then you save a couple a hundred. Eventually, if you continue, you will end up spending it to convert to DCC. There is no right answer, DCC is just more fun -at least to me having a DCC sound locomotive was. But I survived for 50 years without DCC! Then again I'm an electrical engineer and the fascination of a network for my trains was eventually too much and I had to have DCC. If you're considering a layout in the future, DCC makes the electrical wiring much easier and cheaper, no "blocks" with toggle switches, no big control panels with buttons and switches to control "Blocks" and "turnouts". You're starting off right, in that you're getting the track off the carpet! You can't really can't go wrong as whatever you do, you will learn more and more about what works for you and what doesn't and when it doesn't you have the forum to help you out. This is a hobby that has all sorts of sub hobbies, DYI electronics, Scenery building, model building, operations planning and so on. You may learn skills you had never considered (how to use a VOM, soldering, air brushing) the list is long and you get to pick skills!
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:40 PM   #19
[email protected]
Hobo

Thanks Lemonhawk