What engine pushes UP 844? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 05-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Isaac
Hobo

What engine pushes UP 844?

I want to know which engine most often pushes 844 as when a cheaper version comes out I want to model it. It seems to mostly have the Rio Grande 1989 heritage unit but sometimes has a GE AC4400CW instead.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
highvoltage
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, O27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
I want to know which engine most often pushes 844 as when a cheaper version comes out I want to model it. It seems to mostly have the Rio Grande 1989 heritage unit but sometimes has a GE AC4400CW instead.
Not sure about most often, but a video showed 844 connected to UP 6936, which is an EMD DDA40X.
highvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
Deane Johnson
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO - U.P. & CB&Q
I always assumed the extra engine was for additional power. It doesn't actually push the 844 along does it? Is "pushes" simply a way to refer to additional power?

I've just never heard the term used this way before, but that's not surprising for me.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Isaac
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
I always assumed the extra engine was for additional power. It doesn't actually push the 844 along does it? Is "pushes" simply a way to refer to additional power?

I've just never heard the term used this way before, but that's not surprising for me.
Be it a helper or being dragged I want to know which one is most often used with 844 for modeling purposes.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
highvoltage
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, O27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post

From UP's website:

"Because the Frontier Days train is long, diesel locomotive No. 6936 will assist in providing No. 844 some extra power and braking on the runs between Cheyenne and Denver."
highvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
mesenteria
Dispatcher

I don't think there is a 'most often'. If there is a convenient heritage unit with sufficient capacity, they'll use it. If not, the DDX is most often seen behind #844.

Why a diesel at all? Insurance against breakdowns, to assist with dynamic braking descending grades (saves maintenance on the friction brakes for all rolling stock in the consist, not just the steamer) and power provision when there isn't a power wagon in the consist to generate electricity for air conditioners and lighting. On the rare occasion #844 can't handle the drag on the trailing tonnage by itself, say on a grade or on slick rails, the attendant diesel can be drafted to provide some oomph.
mesenteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
Isaac
Hobo

Guys I really dont care why there is a diesel behind it or if it is needed or even a good idea I just want to know which one to get to model it correctly. If you look at theese pictures with newest first it looks like you have an sp diesel, the rio grande heritadge, and a normal up engine. I dont think the DDX runs anymore does it? I just wanna know which engine is most likely to be paired with 844 in 2017. http://www.railpictures.net/showphot...&newdisplay=10
Old 05-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
santafe158
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, HO, N
I don't think you're going to find a "normal" engine behind it. They probably grab whatever is available for the excursions. You've listed several options, and they've probably all been used at one time or another.

My Youtube Channel
santafe158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #9
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Isaac, you've fallen into the trap of thinking that because no one is giving you the answer you want, it must mean that we don't understand the question. Actually, you're the one who doesn't understand the answers.

UP844 doesn't have a dedicated helper loco. It roams around the UP system. Whatever division is hosting it assigns motive power as it is available, with preference being given to heritage units (although I've seen plenty of pictures of it with Armour Yellow behind it). It's a crap shoot. If you want a rigid statistical analysis of what loco, or model of loco, has the greatest odds of being behind it, at any given time, well, have fun with that.

From a modeling perspective cosider this: if you ALWAYS use the loco that is statisitcally most likely, yet you know that several different locos perform this task in reality, then your model will be INACCURATE for whatever percentage of time that your chosen loco ISN'T performing helper duties. To be truly accurate, you would need to alternate locos, just like the prototype. Or you could just pick a model which has been used and say that, on the day /week/ whatever you chose to model, THAT loco is providing helper duties.

And, just for the record, steam locos are often pushed by deisels. Since it takes more than 24 hrs to bring a steam loco up to operating pressure, it is often easier to just shove it around with a diesel.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:45 AM   #10
mesenteria
Dispatcher

As CTV says, there is no correct answer. You could just as easily cover your eyes at a display showing scale models of every modern and serviceable road engine UP has on its roster currently, and pick one to slip into the head of the consist behind 844. I have seen SD40's, SD45's, Dash 8's, Dash 9's, AC4400's, and the DDX some of us have mentioned.

Last edited by mesenteria; 05-11-2017 at 03:17 PM..
mesenteria is offline   Reply With Quote