Rail joiners for HOn3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 09-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
nosmoking
Hobo

Rail joiners for HOn3

I have recently started a new layout with HOn3 using Micro track and rail joiners unable to apply the joiners to track in fact seems impossible without damage to the track,question has anyone run into the same problem,thanks
nosmoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
Bwells
Dispatcher

Are you using N scale track? If so, N scale rail joiners work fine. Try a pair of needle nose pliers and slowly push them on.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #3
nosmoking
Hobo

HOn3

Hi I am using HOn3 track not N scale which is the problem

Old 09-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
Bwells
Dispatcher

Yeah, I stand corrected. I found this

First, in the real world, some railroads built their lines less wide than the 4' 8.5" of standard gauge. These were called narrow gauge railroads. One famous example would be the Denver and Rio Grande Western. Possible widths were usually 3' (most common), 2.5' (not very common at all, also called 30"), and 2' (most often in New England). During the era of the Civil War, widths varied by inches, meaning nearly every railroad had a different gauge. This was done so that a railroad assured that another railroad couldnt use it's track, damaging the competition.

Second, in Model Railroading, some people model these different gauges. Most often, we model with 3' track, however, the specialized track for this scale is usually very expensive, so manufacturers have made the equivalent of 2.5' or 30" gauge, which means that HO scale trains with wheelbases that are 30 scale inches apart just happen to be able to run on the much cheaper N scale track. This is called HOn 2 and a half, or HOn30. On another note, this is exactly the same thing for O scale and HO track: On30
Old 09-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwells View Post
however, the specialized track for this scale is usually very expensive
How many decades old was that article you read??? The HO/HOn3 dual-gauge flex track I use costs about 50 cents more that the standard gauge track, probably because there are three rails instead of two. The prices of HO and HOn3 *only* flex track are almost identical. You'll see more of a price difference in narrow-gauge locomotives, but that's only because there is much less demand.

@nosmoking -- I use both track and rail joiners (code 70) from MicroEngineering. When you're looking at rail joiners, don't look at the scale (HO or HOn3), but rather look at the size of the rail. If you're trying to put code 55 rail joiners on some code 83 track, for example, it simply won't work and could be causing the damage you are seeing. Make sure the sizes match up, and you should have a snug but acceptable fit.

I also find that standard gauge rail joiners are way too large for the task so I'll cut them in half. However the code 70 rail joiners I got from ME are a much more proportional size.
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
nosmoking
Hobo

I am using code 70 rail and joiners for this track from Micro,so still puzzled by not being able to join the two,must have reject packet.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

If the rails don't slide into the joiners sometimes I'll take a pair of sharp-tipped tweezers and slide into the joiner to spread the end *very* slightly. If you're going to solder the joint anyway then it's not as critical, but any place you're leaving the joiner unsoldered for temperature expansion you really need to make sure that rail joiner fits tightly.
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote