Your first train set. - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 10-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #11
MikeL
Brakeman

Canada

Great thread.

My first layout was a Triang Hornby, probably the late 60s / early 70s from my Uncle George. I kept the steam locomotive and will eventually put it in a place of honour somewhere on my latest layout

I also had the Triang Hornby book of layouts. I had Layout 1 (or maybe 2) and dreamed of one day having Layout 20 (or whatever layout was at the very end of the book!)

Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #12
MikeL
Brakeman

Canada

Great thread.

My first layout was a Triang Hornby, probably the late 60s / early 70s from my Uncle George. I kept the steam locomotive and will eventually put it in a place of honour somewhere on my latest layout

I also had the Triang Hornby book of layouts. I had Layout 1 (or maybe 2) and dreamed of one day having Layout 20 (or whatever layout was at the very end of the book!)

Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #13
Chaostrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: N, HO, On30
My first train set that I remember was a Lionel 3 rail. It was an oval mounted to a board that folded up against the wall. It was always there according to my memory. That was in the early 60s and thanks to my mom. Later mom got me a Marklin HO set which disappeared over the years.

Chaostrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #14
Gramps
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO then G back to HO
I barely remember it but mine was a yellow wind up strange looking diesel and some cars. Later I got a Marx NYC steamer and some freight cars. We lived in a small apartment so it only came out at Christmas.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #15
DonR
Train Master

There are likely few of you who can remember
the annual Sears Christmas catalog...it was full of
toys, decorations and other gift ideas. Us 'kids'
always looked forward to it and it became the
'wish book'.

For me, that 1941 Sears wish book showed a
$10.98 Marx electric train with 2 turnouts.
Hardly a day passed without turning to the pages
to that train. And, it came to pass, come
Christmas Eve, there it was in all it's tin plate
glory. A very happy little 11 y/o Donnie.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #16
Tallaman
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: S since childhood, O recently
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonR View Post
"that 1941 Sears wish book"
20th century Amazon! Good story Don
Old 10-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #17
Stumpy
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
I didn't get a set, just a couple of boxes of what I suppose was a dismantled layout at a yard sale. Bought it with a weeks worth of lawn mowing money, so it didn't cost much. I think I was about 12 y/o, so that would have been 1975. With the next weeks "pay" I got what I needed to make a couple of sawhorses, a sheet of 4x8 plywood, some green paint for grass and went to town. I don't remember what locos or cars I had, but I had enough track to make the oval with one siding and one spur. I do remember that styrofoam mountain/tunnel. More lawn mowing begat buildings, trees and other scenery.

Then we had to move and the layout couldn't go. Sold it to a kid from church. He wanted it "as is", so his dad came with his pickup (with camper shell) and slid the whole 4x8 sheet in the bed (minus locos & cars of course) and away it went.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #18
cschroeder6
Hobo

My first would be a bunch of wooden Thomas the Train I played with as a toddler. As I got older, I was allowed to play with my fathers trains he had as a child in the 50s. A few years later when the interest peaked, I was gifted the Polar Express as my first official train set, which was expertly tested and hidden by my father right before christmas morning. Along with that came a bunch of Atlas track, to help get a layout up and running.
cschroeder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #19
gimme30
Gang Labourer

My first set was the Hogwart's Express. (first release somewhere around 2007, without the bluetooth) It's seen a few minutes runtime here and there over the years but mostly just sits in it's box, waiting for Salma Hayek to move me into her mansion where I'll have space to set up an O gauge layout.

I never had a train set as a child!
gimme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #20
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
About Christmas 1956 or 1957. A Lionel Scout 027 set. This is a photo of me in April of 1959
image.jpg
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote