Weathering a painted wooden building - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Painting, detailing and decaling
Forgotten your password?

Painting, detailing and decaling Tips, techniques, and discussions about painting, detailing or decaling rolling stock or scenery.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
Single Driver Steam
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: HO
Weathering a painted wooden building

I'm sure this is a topic covered ad nauseam, however I would like to get recommendations on weathering wooden structures after they've already been painted.

So far I have 3 wooden structures on my 1830's layout which are currently incomplete, one of the details remaining is weathering. I want the impression of a bustling town with lots of civic pride so I only want to weather these structures very moderately (maintained appearance, but still obviously exposed to elements and air). Any techniques I can apply for these already painted buildings?

IMG_4118.JPG

IMG_4120.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG
Single Driver Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
First of all, tone down the bright white roofs. If they are supposed to be tin, then a silvery gray is the right color. Add some streaks of rust by dry-brushing (in the direction water would run off the roof. Tar paper can be simulated by using black construction paper; strips of 400 grit air-dry sandpaper (the black kind) can be made into convincing asphalt shingles. Dry brush some areas of lighter gray onto those types of materials.

Secondly, apply a bit of fading to the paint by using an airbrush and applying a very light mist of gray or white paint with an airbrush. Use a black wash to simulate soot stains over the engine house doors, and use the same to simulate grime running down from the corners of windows and the eaves of the roof. Using a drybrush, paint some patches on the wall a slightly lighter or darker shade. If one side of the building is shady and damp, some green to indicate algae growth on the walls is a good effect.

Overall, though, your best results will be obtained by finding a picture of how you want the building to look and work to duplicate that.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote