Introduce yourself here! - Page 756 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > New Member Introduction
Forgotten your password?

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Come in here and introduce yourself!

Old 06-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #7551
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL2Zero View Post
New guy to the forum, but I have been into trains since the mid 70's. My dad gave me the bug as he truly loved and modeled trains.
HO was his scale of choice. N Scale was my choice because I thought I could do more in a smaller space. Just an opinion.
I do have a 5x5 N scale layout that is Southern Railway.
The stuff I remember coming through my town as a kid.
Is it finished? Well, are they ever truly "finished"?
It is close. Now I am starting a brand new layout in HO. It will be Southern, but will also include the old Chessie System as well. The other trains I remember from my childhood, when we lived near Wheeling WV.
My dad has passed on and I inherited a ton of stuff that will be included in the new layout. So in a way he is building this one with me, too.
This is a wonderful hobby that I share with my sons as well. My youngest is 9-years old and he is excited to help as we embark on this HO journey together.
CL2Zero;

Welcome to the forum! That sounds like a great father & sons project you are starting! Have a great time, and feel free to ask questions should you want to.
My own railroad is a bookshelf type, N-scale layout that hugs two walls of my garage. It's based on the Milwaukee Road's operations near Seattle Washington.

Again welcome;

Traction Fan
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #7552
traction fan
Station Master

West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainboi View Post
Hello. I'm Trainboi and I model in HO scale.

Traiboi;

Welcome to the forum! Do you have a favorite railroad, time period, or geographic location, that you like to model. How much space do you have to build a layout, or do you already have one now?

Again, welcome;

Traction Fan
Old 07-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #7553
Coachwarner
Hobo

Hello everyone! new to forum, for years i have been interested in collecting and running Marx tin type trains. i recently acquired an old Marx train set from an older gentleman friend.
Coachwarner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #7554
traction fan
Station Master

West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachwarner View Post
Hello everyone! new to forum, for years i have been interested in collecting and running Marx tin type trains. i recently acquired an old Marx train set from an older gentleman friend.
Coachwarner;

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't already done so, check out our "tinplate" and "O-scale" sections. You should find some fellow Marx enthusiasts. My own first train was a Marx set. I model in N-scale now, but I still have fond memories of that first train.

again welcome;

Traction Fan
Old 07-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #7555
Velociman
Hobo

Hi, folks! I’m new to the forum. I’ve been running across some O scale stuff at estate sales and decided to take the plunge. Looking forward to it, and your invaluable help educating my dumb *ss! ��
Velociman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #7556
traction fan
Station Master

West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociman View Post
Hi, folks! I’m new to the forum. I’ve been running across some O scale stuff at estate sales and decided to take the plunge. Looking forward to it, and your invaluable help educating my dumb *ss! ��
Velociman;

Welcome to the forum! We have active "O-scale" and "Tinplate" sections here on the forum. They should be able to answer any questions you have about either Lionel type AC, 3-rail, O-gage tinplate trains or 2-rail DC powered O-scale trains. I don't know which of the two you have.
I'm an N-scale guy, so I don't know all that much about O-gage, but we have plenty of members who do.
You didn't mention whether you have any experience in building a model railroad or not. The attached files are some I wrote for new modelers (a.k.a. "newbies") planning/building their first layout. Browse through them if you wish to. They may have some info that will help you get started.

Again welcome;

Traction Fan

WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

Model Railroad Terminology 2.2.pdf
Old 07-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #7557
DanERIE
Hobo

Scales Modeled: N, HO, On30
New from Florida

Just registered, N-Scale ERIE, E/L and G/N fan.

Lived in Monroe, NY from 1939-'78 and watched the ERIE transition from steam to diesel and then ERIE to Erie-Lackawanna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Erie N Cab units.jpg (153.7 KB, 0 views)
DanERIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:49 AM   #7558
waitin' 4 the train

A warm welcome to all new members. MTF is a really good place to call home.

Enjoy,

Gary.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #7559
traction fan
Station Master

West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanERIE View Post
Just registered, N-Scale ERIE, E/L and G/N fan.

Lived in Monroe, NY from 1939-'78 and watched the ERIE transition from steam to diesel and then ERIE to Erie-Lackawanna

Dan;

Welcome to the forum! I also hail originally from upstate N.Y. (Rochester), though I've lived in California for many years. I guess we both wanted more sunshine, and less snow to shovel!
I have an N-scale shelf layout based on the Milwaukee Road in Seattle, WA. However trains from the Union Pacific, Northern Pacific, and Great Northern also run on it. The photos below show my model of Seattle Union Station. UP owned it and the Milw. was a tenant. Right across the street is another beautiful passenger station that once hosted NP and GN trains. Today it's still used, by Amtrak
That's an impressive collection of locomotives you have! Do you have a layout? If so, can you tell us something about it?

again welcome;

Traction Fan

Seattle union station concourse end 1.JPG

Seattle Union Station showing scratch built interior.JPG
Old 07-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #7560
DanERIE
Hobo

Scales Modeled: N, HO, On30
Traction Fan, Thanks. I like your station.

Rochester has some brutal snow storms.

I do have a layout started but currently have no space to work on it so it's stored in my son's horse barn. The frame fits the posts of a bunk bed, with option of 2" x 2" legs. It has code 100 track so I can run some of my old big flange steam locos. I'm thinking about building a door layout that can be hidden behind a door, just to give me a bigger test loop.

Just did a rough count and have 61 diesels and nine steam. All are DC and I don't plan to go DCC on any the newer ones.

24-ERIE, 13-E/L 13-G/N and others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N-Layout.jpg (113.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Atlas Steamers.jpg (64.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Atlas 0-8-0.jpg (55.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by DanERIE; 07-16-2019 at 07:20 PM..
DanERIE is offline   Reply With Quote