Yard ladder control panel - Page 5 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Layout Design Forum
Forgotten your password?

Layout Design Forum Discussion resource for planning your dream layout, large, small or micro!

Old 05-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #41
tommy24a
Gang Labourer

Looks good thanks!

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
tommy24a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #42
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Switches & lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy24a View Post
Traction fan...look at my proposed switch and led placement..how does it look to you? Circle are toggles and green dots are led's

Thanks!

tommy24a;

The placement of your toggle switches and LEDs looks fine.

You might consider eliminating the diagonal track on the far right side of your photo, and re-using it's two turnouts to create an additional passing siding out along the main line. The diagonal track does not appear to serve any particular purpose, since there is a parallel route through the yard ladder to the left. Alternatively, this is a spot where two turnouts, four LEDs, and two toggle switches, could all be eliminated, to save money, if that's a concern for you. Also the crossover, shown between the yard ladder track and the unnecessary diagonal track, is another duplication, and potential turnout/money saver. This crossover is in the middle of a "drill track" or passing siding. The turnouts at the two ends of this passing siding, let a train get onto either track that the crossover does, without the crossover. That translates into either money saved, or another passing siding out along the main.

regards;
Traction Fan
Old 05-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #43
tommy24a
Gang Labourer

Thanks for the tips...I am all about saving money! Lol

Old 05-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #44
tommy24a
Gang Labourer

Is this what you mean traction? Am 8 missing an led at the bottom?

Old 05-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #45
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West That's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy24a View Post
Is this what you mean traction? Am 8 missing an led at the bottom?

Tommy24a;

Yes, your latest re-draw, above, deletes the four turnouts I suggested. You don't have any LEDs on the string of turnouts that form the ladder. I suggest putting one near the top and another on the bottom, ends of the turnout string (which is the actual "ladder.") Without them, what would indicate that those
top and bottom turnouts were set for the ladder?

I can understand about saving money. That's one of the reasons I make my own turnouts, for $5 ea. instead of buying ready-made turnouts for $25-$30 ea. There is a catch though. You save lots of money, but have to invest lots more time. The first part of the top attached file gives a detailed breakdown of the cost of materials, and tells you what tools you would need. The rest of it is a step-by-step description of how to do it. I don't know what your time/money situation is, or whether you have any interest in making turnouts, rather than buying. With 20 turnouts, that would save about $400-$600.
I think your layout will be much more fun to operate with at least one more passing siding. That will mean re-locating, rather than saving the cost of, two turnouts but, in my opinion, it would be worth it.
The other file below talks about saving money on model railroad items in general.

I have a question about your track plan. There is a nice loop in the center, that does a lot to extend your main line. I don't understand the very close proximity between the two curved tracks at the bottom of the loop. I would think the possibility of fitting some scenery between these tracks would help with the illusion that the train is actually traveling to a far away destination, rather than obviously doubling back to where it just came from. I would treat the two sides of that loop as separate scenes, with a double-sided backdrop between them. Perhaps two separate towns where the trains stop at stations and/or serve industries. Either, (or both) of these scenes would be a good location for that/(those) passing siding(s) I recommended.
Another question concerns the right side of your track plan. There are a lot of "spurs" (sidings with a turnout at only one end.) over in that area. What was your intended reason for these spurs? (I see this spot as another place where some turnouts might be saved. )

Your choice of course.

Traction Fan

How I scratch build turnouts new(8).pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf
Old 05-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #46
tommy24a
Gang Labourer

Thanks for the help!...much to think about...you give me many choices and ideas...have to take a hard look at the plan and see what I can come up with...first time at track design...not carved in stone...lol