Newswatch 16's backyard Train - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Model Trains in the News
Forgotten your password?

Model Trains in the News See what the mainstream media is saying about our great hobby!

Old 09-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
Don F
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: 3 Rail O Gauge mostly scale
Newswatch 16's backyard Train

A little background to accompany this link: WNEP 16 is in Moosic PA, and one of three local TV stations in Northeast PA. Several years ago, the station create a back yard setting to broadcast the weather. There is a pond, with a raised waterfall spilling into the pond. Above the waterfall is a small circular G Gauge train. Apparently, the train got noticed by John Oliver, host of an HBO night time show. There is a segment on the news call Talk Back 16, and a caller was commenting that Mr. Oliver was making fun of the train. He saw the comment, and replied that he wasn't putting down the train, rather, he was bringing it to the attention of his audience. Here is the link for the rest of the story:
http://wnep.com/2017/09/11/newswatch...ackyard-train/
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Country Joe

Thanks for the link, Don. That's an interesting, fun news segment.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Don F
Dispatcher

Obviously, this has been going on for a while; I know there have been a lot of local comments about the backyard train, both positive and negative, but I have no idea when John Oliver first heard about it. That layout he had built didn't get done in two days! It had to cost a fortune, and it's really great that he did that. I can't wait to see where the station plans to put it. If it's going to be outside, it will need to be under a pavilion at the very least. I like that the Nicholson Viaduct is in front. Even though it's not in Scranton, it's close enough.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 AM   #4
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
Neat
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don F View Post
Obviously, this has been going on for a while; I know there have been a lot of local comments about the backyard train, both positive and negative, but I have no idea when John Oliver first heard about it. That layout he had built didn't get done in two days! It had to cost a fortune, and it's really great that he did that. I can't wait to see where the station plans to put it. If it's going to be outside, it will need to be under a pavilion at the very least. I like that the Nicholson Viaduct is in front. Even though it's not in Scranton, it's close enough.
Do you know if the station even has plans to actually take possession of the layout? It looked very impressive on John Oliver's show (except the real water, which just doesn't scale).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
Don F
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
Do you know if the station even has plans to actually take possession of the layout? It looked very impressive on John Oliver's show (except the real water, which just doesn't scale).
https://www.facebook.com/jonmeyerwne...289706/?type=3
I didn't see this posted on the station's web page, so only those with FB accts can access this link. The layout is all packed and ready to go in a warehouse in NYC. The station hopes to have it here on Friday, but the question remains as to where it will be set up. Some have suggested Steamtown, and others, the Mall at Steamtown, which is under new management, and has abundant space. If it was to be located at the station, it would have to be under cover.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don F View Post
https://www.facebook.com/jonmeyerwne...289706/?type=3
I didn't see this posted on the station's web page, so only those with FB accts can access this link. The layout is all packed and ready to go in a warehouse in NYC. The station hopes to have it here on Friday, but the question remains as to where it will be set up. Some have suggested Steamtown, and others, the Mall at Steamtown, which is under new management, and has abundant space. If it was to be located at the station, it would have to be under cover.
Wouldn't it kind of defeat the purpose if it isn't located at the studio? Although Steamtown Mall is a good idea.

And thanks for the update -- I don't do Facebook.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
Don F
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
Wouldn't it kind of defeat the purpose if it isn't located at the studio? Although Steamtown Mall is a good idea.

And thanks for the update -- I don't do Facebook.
There will probably be something on the 6 o' clock news today. I'll post any updates.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
Don F
Dispatcher

http://wnep.com/2017/09/15/hbos-back...m-in-scranton/
Old 09-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #10
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Nice. Thanks for the update, Don!