Model Train Forum banner

Added realism through electronics.

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tr1 
#1 · (Edited)
:dunno: I have some dc diesel engines that Iwould like to up grade with sound. Is that possible without having dcc? If not could these older dc athern diesel engines be converted over to dcc? and finally what would be the M.S.R.P.(cost) ballpark figure. Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly
greatly appreciated. Thankyou, tr1

#2 ·
There are a couple of products, i forget their names but i want to say "sound box" or something.

I looked at it briefly, then decided dcc was a better move. because of the sound anf the improved controller functions (different speed and direction for multiple engines on the same stretch of track, etc) and a larger layout is probably easier to run on dcc (i have kids, so thats a win)

You can upgrade almost any engine to dcc. Sound is a little trickier, as it needs more space on the inside for the speaker and such.

Also sound decoders cost a fair bit more ~115 for the allright sound decoders, vs ~25 for a straight mobile decoder. There might be cheaper sound ones with less functions about, though i havent looked.

#3 ·
Can you do sound and have a DC layout? Yes you can, but you will
have little to none control of the sounds. Most DCC sound engines will
run on DC and the basic sounds will sound. What I mean by control is
the ability to turn sound on or off, to turn sound up or down, blow the
whistle, ring the bell, turn coupler sound on, air hisses, and such. I got
DCC. I converted one of my old DC athearn engines to DCC. I put in a
tsunami decoder and it is just awesome engine now. It did cost for parts
at 100 bucks maybe a little more with a good bass speaker. Works great.
I have bought a digitrax decoder with sound for about 50 bucks but I have
not installed it so can't say how good it is. If you want sound and a whole
new world of model railroading I suggest going DCC first on the layout. That
will cost you 150 bucks, maybe a wee bit more but close. Hope that helps.

#5 ·
Some people have money to upgrade a lot, but for me, I'd upgrade to the dcc system first becaue Im not even sure how many items i plan on having upgraded to dcc. I dont even have a stable layout that would give me merit to have dcc (my layout is on the floor lol :rolleyes: )

#7 ·
Soudtraxx sound is better than the Digitrax sound decoder as far as sound is concerned.

That said, IMHO the Digitrax sound is less expensive and will let you get bit by the sound functions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.