Model Train Forum banner

Junk Box

45K views 233 replies 19 participants last post by  T-Man 
#1 · (Edited)
After Jim's addition I thought I would address some of the frames.

The first one I was ready and got a Babe Ruth shell for buck. I removed the top paint with rubbing compound, paint remover , scotchbrite pad and a screwdriver for the edges. It fists nice. I finished it with the acrylic nonwax.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
3464 boxcar

The next frame I found out was a 3464 boxcar that has an activated plunger for a man to open the door. As it turned out I have a shell in my junk box. Plus I have one whole in my collection.

Obviously I don't have all the parts but it's a start.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)

The trade secret is that it IS the cellar!. Actually I constantly add and remove and fix stuff from it. I work on my adding to my parts box, that!, can be interesting.

The next frame was a gondola.B&M is the newest expert after his large purchase. The one next to it is a poultry car frame. It is larger than the boxcax and it also has a man at the door activation.

Attachments

#6 ·
That reminds me...you probably know AF made some HO scale stuff. I recently got a parts assortment (Stillakid pointed it out to me because of the boiler-front). It had an AC field (coil, whatever you want to call it) that looks like it's from an HO size engine. Just like the AF S scale, but smaller. Thought I'd mention it in case anyone was desperately seeking one.

#7 ·
The 1009 Scout uncoupler

This gem has my interests. Supposively so common, but I can't get a picture of one. I want to know what part is missing. So here it is.

Attachments

#8 ·
T-Man,

Re: the 1009 uncoupler ... interesting find. My 1958 #1590 set came with a manual uncoupler somewhat similar, though made of plastic (not sheet metal), I think. It has a little lever that you push sideways, then that cams into two "cheek plates" (????) that pop up between the inner/outer rails. Then, with these raised, when a car drives over, the cheek plates grab the round disc on the underside of the coupler/truck and open up the knuckle.

The hand lever on your gizmo looks more like a push-pull to me, rather than a side-to-side. Do you have any suspicion / evidence that this gizmo worked for magnetic couplers? Or do you think it was for non-magnetic (and non-electronic) manual couplers?

I'll poke around in my Lionel books a bit, but I can't say that I recall ever seeing anything like this.

TJ

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bob, I seem to remember there being a piece with an adjustable threaded piece sticking up. The adjustment nut was similar to a post nut for a transformer. I'll keep looking thru all the boxes of junk:)

Big Ed & Bob, it's, "Search The Junk Box Time!":laugh:

Do either of you know of a dealer that specializes in "Junk Box Sales?", or am I just gonna keep searching Evil-bay?

The Observation Car I just won(got anything new-thread), has no roof. It's an 8 1/2" car with no screw holes, but a rolled edge. take a look at the posted photos. I don't think a Lionel roof will fit:(

Thanks,
Jim

#20 ·
This is the first time I have seen this thread?:confused:

B&M's been editing it?:rolleyes:

What exactly are you looking for? A roof? Or the 1009?

#14 ·
T-Man,

I found a couple of things in my books. The first is a Manumatic Uncoupler from 1948 ... it looks to me like this was a PREcursor to your version. The second is a Manumatic Uncoupler from 1949 ... looks similar/identical(?) to yours.

Also ...

Can this be right ... a mint 1009 sold for $280 ?!?!?
http://www.ambrosebauer.com/lotdetail.php?auction=6&lot=139

Hope this helps!

TJ

Circa 1948:

Circa 1949:

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
TJ, the second picture says it all. It shows the center piece that I am missing .Sort of a squished frog piece. I didm't think of looking at the old catalogs 1949. I may not have that one on disc.

Jim the nut belongs to a 153c contact it has nothing to do with the uncoupler. The piece you gave me is the bottom base plate.

Now I have something to look for at shows. That reminds me of more junk that got away.

This is a coupler adapter.One that I made that resembles the tt-100 or the the ts-162.The 162 has a lower adapter on one side. These can be found in junk boxes. The trick is knowing what they are. I saw these once and gave up in a brain blowout and haven't seen any since. SO keep the eyes out for these.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
2682 caboose prewar roof

In my constant battle to roof a convertible world, I the T-man have tackled this endeavor in the junk box. Jim will recognized this as a discarded piece of trash. :)This is my story .

It starts with a roofless shell. I gave it the scotch brite treatment and floor non wax. Looks Good!. Then a small piece of metal. It's all in, how to fit it.

The rough fit.

Now to go from this to that.

I started with slits and cut the corners. The piece is high so I am trying to set it down correctly.

When I was close, I went from tin snips to a dremel cutting wheel.Cutting up toward the top. The cutting off the tabs.

Then the windows were tought, one side is better than the other.

Then paint

Done.
The frame is next.

#18 ·
T-Man's Amazing Industrial Roofers strike again! Nice job.

That caboose is pretty similar to the junker I have in my newly aquired flood-victim freight set. I was intrigued to see that the roof of the caboose (main roof, not cupola) is actually integral with the side shell ... all one metal piece. No pop-on roof, like in other cars I've seen.

What, specifically, is "floor non wax" ???

TJ

#19 ·
T-Man, that's a "Fine" piece of work! So much so, that perhaps I need to make another trip to the construction site down the road. Yesterday, I saw large pieces of duct work, sitting in the top of the dumpster, gleaming in the sunlight. I think they were calling my name!!!! :D

#21 ·
Hi Ed,
Jim needs a roof for an AF passenger coach.
I have a 1009 but not all the parts.

Jim, the non wax is Future Acrylic Floor covering, essentially it is not a wax but does the same thing.

#22 · (Edited)

Not exactly a 2000 series since it does no have the automatic decoupler. I did paint it up.

The good thing about making a part is that it let me use the car untill I find a replacement piece.

Attachments

#23 ·
Disney Parade Float

I have this DIsney Caboose without a Cupola so I got a little inventive and came up with a parade float. I have two Disney Figures to boot. With some craft sticks and cinamon acrylic I came up with this. Non Railroad but Fun.

Attachments

#28 ·
I have this DIsney Caboose without a Cupola so I got a little inventive and came up with a parade float. I have two Disney Figures to boot. With some craft sticks and cinamon acrylic I came up with this. Non Railroad but Fun.

You got to get goofy and Pluto and maybe Minnie mouse walking the plank.:laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.