Let's try again! - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > New Member Introduction
Forgotten your password?

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Come in here and introduce yourself!

Old 02-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #11
fall2fast
Hobo

I really like that covered bridge I am new also, in fact this is my first post on here. N scale, not much experience with scenery , but I can figure out the writing. I moved into a bigger house, and want to create a layout. I'm in forums on other subjects where I know quite a bit, and I see many of the early questions asked over and and over again, here I am going to search for answers first, but I do have a few specific problems that I may need direct help with. My layout area is going to have a couple tables for N and do a shelf setup for my HO trains. mostly just so I can take them out of the boxes.
fall2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #12
Godawgz360
Hobo

Scales Modeled: N and HO in the past. Looking to get back into N.
I’ve only scratchbuilt a couple of things. I just prefer the wooden kits to plastic ones. I tend to only use plastic for brick buildings and big warehouses or city structures. I’ve went looking at some of the places that produced HO kits I bought but they don’t make them in n scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Godawgz360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #13
Godawgz360
Hobo

Here’s a scratch build I did for a buddy. He doesn’t model railroad but he saw pics of some stuff I did and wanted me to make him something. It’s a bar and grill with a smoke shop upstairs.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #14
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Very nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godawgz360 View Post

Here’s a scratch build I did for a buddy. He doesn’t model railroad but he saw pics of some stuff I did and wanted me to make him something. It’s a bar and grill with a smoke shop upstairs.

Godawgz360;

That Bar, and smoke shop model of yours is a very nice scratchbuilt structure. If you can build that, you won't have any trouble making whatever you want. it's obvious that you have the tallent.
Thanks for the compliment on my covered bridge. It's loosely based on the Allentown bridge that used to stand south of Seattle. That bridge, the little train order station at Black river, the water tower, the wooden truss bridge, and the coal unloading trestle are all scratchbuilt from basswood. The lighthouse and keeper's cottage were made from real stones and plaster. The big steel trestle is a kitbash of several N-scale deck girder bridge kits, and a much modified HO-scale "Tall steel viaduct" kit. All these kits are from Micro Engineering, and are plastic. The large city station is a 90% of N-scale size model of Seattle union station. The two long sides are kitbashed Design Preservation Models kits. The shorter end walls and the entire interior are scratchbuilt from styrene.

Traction Fan
Old 02-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #15
prrfan
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godawgz360 View Post
Went to Crossville to see the model railroads they have set up in the outlet mall yesterday. Pretty cool place. Layouts from G scale all the way down to Z. Finally got to show my girlfriend a layout in person and she seemed pretty interested so that’s always a plus. The local hobby shop was closed so we drove to Knoxville to Dan’s Trains. Not realizing the time, we arrived right at 5pm when they are supposed to close, but Randy (the owner I assume) was nice enough to tell us to come on in and spent the next 30 mins talking to me about the area I plan to model, different products out now and model railroading in general. Although I have nothing to run on it or a power pack, I bought a Kato starter pack of track from him for taking the time for us after a long drive. I will definitely go back and get there well before 5 next time. If you’re in the Knoxville area, stop and check out Dan’s Trains and strike up a conversation with Randy and check out his great little shop.

Hi Steve:
Welcome to the forum. I’m glad to see that you found Dan’s Trains and met Randy. He is a great guy and very helpful in all areas of the hobby.

There is also Hobby Town in Farragut, at the Turkey Creek center. I don’t know if they still sell train stuff. Haven’t been there in years. Don’t like the traffic out there. I moved back here from being on Long Island for 9 years and had enough of it lol. Dan’s is only a short drive from me.

Very nice scratch built building! You will have a great looking layout in no time, I’m sure.
If you get time, visit the Children’s Museum of Oak Ridge. They also have layouts in all scales and a Garden RR as well.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Dan
prrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #16
Godawgz360
Hobo

Thanks guys! I was going to post another shot but it would only allow one pic from my phone.
I did go to the HobbyTown that day also. It was late and the guy said the Oak Ridge guys were down that day with an N scale layout but they had left by the time we got there. He also said they had some clearance engines earlier but those were gone as well. They didn't have much N scale stuff there. It'd be a place I'd stop in on the way to Dan's Trains again just to see if they had any deals. I did pick up that N Scale magazine there.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:43 PM   #17
prrfan
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Glad to hear Hobbytown still handles trains. I’ll stop in there in a week or so. They all need to be supported. Have fun building your layout.
prrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #18
Godawgz360
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prrfan View Post
Glad to hear Hobbytown still handles trains. I’ll stop in there in a week or so. They all need to be supported. Have fun building your layout.
Thanks PRR! Yeah there used to be one in Chattanooga and they had a small selection of train items but they closed about a year ago. Now the closest ones are in Knoxville or Atlanta.