Model Train Forum banner

Winter layout construction

4K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Andreash 
#1 ·
As some our aware, I just finished up a small 2’ by 2’ HO scale layout (Birth of a new empire)

I now have started a 2’ by 4’ winter themed layout. This will be used for a train show in 2020, and as a test bed for using “snow” as scenery.

There will be a bridge spanning a waterway on this layout....it’s still it the form scenery contouring stage..
Purple Wood Table Wheel

Plucked string instruments String instrument Guitar Musical instrument String instrument

See less See more
#5 ·
Beautiful scenery in the Alps that is totally unlike the Rockies.
If you've never seen the San Juan Mtns south of Montrose, Colorado, you're in for a treat. They're nicknamed the American Alps, with six peaks over 14,000 feet. The "Million Dollar Highway" runs from Montrose through Ridgeway, Ouray (You-Ray) and on to Silverton (of the Durango & Silverton narrow gauge Railway.) Startling ruggedness and beauty.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=San+Juan+Mtns+Colorado&t=osx&iax=images&ia=images

#4 ·
I “fooled” around with getting the water installed. I use a piece of glass, that has a texture in it (pinwheel). I like using glass, as it it scratch resistant and using to clean in the future. The texture has a neat sheen to it as well.. For now, I added a piece of blue paper underneath, and fit in pink foam. Getting this set in place will be a weekend project.....cheers
Purple Lavender Lilac Violet Architecture

Architecture Furniture Metal

#6 ·
I enjoyed your other thread and I look forward to following this one. However I think you may want to use a different color under the glass. Ocean water is blue because it's deep and reflects the Sun. I would suggest a more brownish color. Military Olive Drab would look more like inland shallow water.

#7 ·
Thanks, your right about the colour...I’ll have to experiment with different colours...the coloured construction paper sits on a piece of white styrene. I painted a scrap piece of styrene tonite, but its too dark(blue with green drops feathered in....)...Cheers

#8 ·
Anxious to see how this turns out sir!!!

Absolutely correct Fire21. One of the most spectacular places on earth. Just got back from riding the Durango to Silverton train and witnessed the most snow I have ever seen. 673% of normal snow fall. Avalanche damage is incredible. Was able to get to Hurricane Pass, at 12,730 foot. They had cut thru the drifts of 20-30 foot. Animas Forks valley is under 100 foot of snow. Have never seen anything like it.

Headed back in July for the FJ Cruiser National Summit, then again in September. My favorite place in the world. San Juans are such a well kept secret. Many living in the state of Colorado have no idea about the area. Will try to post some of the photos I took last week.

#9 ·
Ended up attaching the foam to the layout. I used a water image from the internet under the glass........the valley was a lot of fiddling, and glad it’s done..a test sample of snow was done as well. Next week, the track will be installed...and a bridge fabricated...
Property Product Purple Furniture Turquoise

Violet Purple Textile Furniture Room

#10 ·
I didn't mean to say the Rockies aren't as beautiful as the Alps. They are just different mountains and they both look different from each other in many places.

They are built from two different types of continental crust with differing compositions which gives each range a particular look.

#13 ·
Track is laid. I used N scale roadbed as I wanted a lower profile for the track. The track is a simple oval,as the track is secondary to the winter scenery. The bridge still needs bridge ties installed from central valley. Also another coat of silver paint.

The scenery starts next week..cheers

Attachments

#16 ·
Building a small layout is a good way to experiment with different techniques. I wouldn't build a large winter layout, but building a small layout is manageable with time and money. The cost is also much lower. This layout used 4 pieces of flex track. I figure when I'm done the cost will be around $100.

I prefer having the ability of having a train that can run continuously, and that why I don't just build a small diarama. The small layout works well for photos, and people get a kick out of watching a train run. This winter layout, along with the "birth of a new empire" 2 by 2 layout will be be used at the Nanaimo train show next year. One will be set up with a Thomas train for kids to run. Easy to transport as well. I was at the show last year, and there lots of vendors, but not a lot of running displays. I was thinking as I saw family's with little kids that the show would be boring to them....cheers

#17 · (Edited)
I finished the bridge. I used central valley bridge ties, but I remove almost all the ties from the flex track, and mechanically fasten it to the bridge structure. I do this as the central valley bridge ties are for code 83, this method works very well.

I also painted the bridge flat black, as it will stand out better in a winter setting.
Wood

Tire Line Textile Automotive tire Escalator

#26 ·
Thanks for all the kind comments...

Some observations after completing this project...foam rocks are very effective and fast to complete. Literally took 10 minutes to build and add rocks to this module. I use a hot glue gun to affix them to the layout.

I’m glad I added scenery before the snow was applied. There are 2 stages were I doubt how the layout will turnout (satisfactory to me), 1) after the foam work is done, and 2) when scenery is first applied. I think this is due to impatience. I really enjoy the finishing work of scenery (bushes, trees) as opposed to adding the base scenery. The one thing about a small layout is the fact that you can take it outside, and spray scenic glue without worrying about making a mess.

I also used grey ballast. I typically gravitate towards dark ballast (black, or brown).

What’s next? I have two ideas that I think will be very interesting to the MTF...they are in the planning stages.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.