Introduce yourself here! - Page 783 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > New Member Introduction
Forgotten your password?

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Come in here and introduce yourself!

Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM   #7821
RichardS-VA
Hobo

Thanks for the reply and suggestion! With the knee wall, the angles ceiling would prohibit a center-bound table and require a design that is closer to the walls as the center of the room with about 4' width has full height ceilings.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
RichardS-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #7822
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Looking good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS-VA View Post
Thanks! I was reading your attachments from another post in the thread, good info.

The following layout called "Outback" from Sandia Software seems very interesting as a lengthy single main track. Could put a town scene instead of a roundhouse.

Been reading books from the late John Armstrong as well.Attachment 523256

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

RichardS;

That looks like a good layout for the continuous running you favor. A lot of track, and a fair number of turnouts, You are wise to build it in sections, perhaps starting with the yard area? What size sections did you have in mind? I suggest 2'x 4' as a good size. Going much bigger can result in something unwieldy, not that it's too big to move at all, just too big to move easily. If you elect to go with 2' x 4' sections they are also a convenient "building block" size You can bolt some together into 4' x 4', or 4' x 8' assemblies for large features like sweeping curves, yards, towns, etc.

Given the height restrictions in your attic, you might consider mounting your layout low enough that you can operate from a rolling office chair. I would also resist any temptation to lay track near the back where you can't reach it without simultaneously bending at the waist and ducking your head below the sloped ceiling. Your back will thank you!

My own N-scale layout is built in sections. My basic size is 4' long x 16" deep and 16" high. They are "bookshelf" sections. There is a top "roof" over each section. When assembled the tops form a long shelf that I store my collection of train books and other stuff on. The upper shelf is supported by three arches per section and is very strong. (see first photo) The sections are bolted to a pair of walls in my garage. I have larger sections at the ends for turnback loops and a passenger station's tracks. The passenger station is a 90% of N-scale, scratchbuilt/ kitbashed model of Seattle Union Station. (see photos 2,3,& 4)
Your "outback" layout looks like it will need a lot of bridges. I assume you like building them. I do too, and the last three photos show some that I have built.

Good luck & have fun!

Traction Fan

Cedar Falls module. showing lightwood bookshelf arch with enginehouse & station in background.jpg

Cape Ripiculous peninsula end view.jpg

Seattle Union Station concourse end 2.JPG

Seattle Union Station side view.JPG

Seattle Union Station showing scratch built interior.JPG

Allentown covered bridge.jpg

Garrison creek trestle good view.JPG

Wooden road bridge at Black River Junction.jpg
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #7823
peddler32
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
USA Trying to get unconfused so I can start my first layout in 20 years

Thanks for letting me join. I just retired and am looking for my third hobby to keep me busy and happy. The first two are genealogy and hopefully senior softball.

I think I have talked to too many people and can't get past the scale decision. I have a large finished basement but do not want to use all of it as a friend does with his O Scale (beautiful layout).

I built an HO layout 20 years ago and that was great until my cat swatted my fave locomotive. I have always liked N-Scale due to size, long trains and smaller space required along with less benchwork (not my strong suit). In fact, all my modeling skills have been idle that long.

My big concern with N-Scale is working on it for myself and my grandkids aged 7&8. I am a young 66 with cataract repaired eyes and only a little arthritis in my hands. What do you think?

Gil
peddler32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #7824
Tom_C
Engineer

Scales Modeled: On30
Quote:
Originally Posted by peddler32 View Post
What do you think?

Gil
You have to make that choice. The smaller stuff is more difficult for kids to get it re-railed and such, and larger cars are better looking for kids, and also people with bad vision. The large stuff takes a lot of room. Everything you already know.

I don't think there is any rush. Play around with some stuff and then decide.
Tom_C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #7825
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Welcome to the forum Gil.

My thought is the reason I stuck with O-gauge was the fact that it was big enough that I could actually work on it. As far as grandkids, I think you'll find that N-scale is a bit fragile and fiddly for most kids, but maybe they're different.

I also like O-gauge because I can have all the neat features that make trains a bit more fun, especially for kids.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM   #7826
Chaostrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: N, HO, On30
Welcome to the forum! As mentioned the only one that can make the right choice is you, but here's what we did and why. I modeled in N scale because of the more train per space aspect. I met my wife while this layout existed. Since it got destroyed in a move my wife and I decided that because of our slowly failing eyes and arthritis slowing getting worse to step up to HO. We talked about O but decided it took up way to much space and found it's way more expensive. At my local hobby shop I can get a box car starting at about $11 for N scale, about $12 for HO scale, and about $55 for O scale.

Chaostrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #7827
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peddler32 View Post
Thanks for letting me join. I just retired and am looking for my third hobby to keep me busy and happy. The first two are genealogy and hopefully senior softball.

I think I have talked to too many people and can't get past the scale decision. I have a large finished basement but do not want to use all of it as a friend does with his O Scale (beautiful layout).

I built an HO layout 20 years ago and that was great until my cat swatted my fave locomotive. I have always liked N-Scale due to size, long trains and smaller space required along with less benchwork (not my strong suit). In fact, all my modeling skills have been idle that long.

My big concern with N-Scale is working on it for myself and my grandkids aged 7&8. I am a young 66 with cataract repaired eyes and only a little arthritis in my hands. What do you think?

Gil

Gil;

Welcome to the forum! You have some experience in the three most popular scales First O-scale, then HO-scale, and most recently N-scale. With that experience, you should be able to choose the scale that you like best, unless your wife is also involved, in which case she will tell you which scale to like best!

I have gone the same route. I started with Marx and Lionel O-gage as a child. Had an HO-scale layout as a teenager, and Have been in N-scale for the past forty years. I'm 71 years old and have some arthritis and need eyeglasses for both reading/ working on trains, and distance (bifocals)
I prefer N-scale partially because I do not have the large space available that you do. (California homes typically don't have basements ) I also had 11 years of fun as a member of an N-scale club.
Any scale is a good scale, as long as it's one that you like. Your 7&8 year old grandkids are old enough to handle N-scale easily. At their ages, they probably have excellent eyesight, and manual dexterity, too. That brings us to you, and possibly your wife, if she shares your enthusiasm for model trains. (My own patient wife has tolerated my obsession with trains for 38 years, but shows no interest in them herself.)
If you are seriously worried about whether or not you can still work with N-scale, buy one of Intermountain's beautifully detailed boxcar kits in N-scale, and another one in HO-scale. (If O-scale is a serious contender for your affections, Intermountain makes the same kits in O-scale too.)
Building these cars will give you some up-to-date, hands-on experience in handling the small parts of each scale. If, as I suspect, you find that you can work just fine with any of these scale models, then it becomes simply a matter of your own preference. And that's exactly as it should be!

For many years, particularly as a member of the N-scale club, I've had to deal with folks who thought HO-scale was god's gift to "serious model railroaders," And "N-gage" (or any other scale ) was just silly. Granted these characters were nut jobs, but it has made me a bit defensive about my favorite scale. So I tend to promote it. For instance all the structures in my response to the post above this one by RichardS-VA are all N-scale and largely/entirely scratchbuilt, by me. So if anyone tries to tell you that "You can't do that in N-gage" feel free to refer them to my posts. )
The simple truth is you can do whatever you want in any scale. However just because N is my favorite scale, that doesn't mean it has to be yours. (Though from your post, I suspect you may be leaning in that direction.

The files below are some I've written to help new modelers. Look through them if you like. They may help you get started on a new hobby.

again welcome;

Traction Fan

Choosing a Scale.pdf

WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

All AboutTurnouts rev 5.pdf

Tips for handling small parts.pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf