Kentucky Coal Miners Block Coal Train..... - Page 4 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #31
Genetk44
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO and OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco Firefly View Post
If the construction of pipelines are shut down then those jobs are gone also, just like the coal miners. Revenue from those tar sands was used to support Canada's social programs.

Maybe it can be replaced with a program for wind turbines and solar panels like California is doing. You are going to need electricity for converting from coal, oil and gas and wood burning for heating when it's mandated. And for charging electric cars.
Some revenue from the tar sands was used to support our social programs, especially in Alberta itself. And without a doubt the pipeline issues and slowdown in the oil-patch has impacted employment in the oil sector in Alberta....on the other hand many Canadians, maybe the majority but I’m not certain have wised-upto the negative impacts of the tar-sands oil extraction situation...in particular the environmental negatives.

As for solar and other power sources...they are becoming more common place....there has been an increase of 30% in the purchase of electric and/or hybrid cars in Canada since the beginning of the year. So progress is being made albeit slowly.
Genetk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #32
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire21 View Post
Trump did cancel most of the former administration's policies on coal mining, and it did get miners back to work. I saw it here in my community.

But policies, no matter how good or bad they may be, don't prevent companies from being stupid and reckless. That's what Blackjewel did, and it cost a lot of miners their livelihood. Blackjewel is now caught up in all sorts of law suits and will be in court for years. Meanwhile the miners look for other jobs.
The demise of coal had very little to do with environmental regulations. The coal industry has been in decline for 20 years or more, and the biggest culprit is cheap natural gas. That's why repealing all the regulations in the world can't being coal back.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #33
ftauss
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
According to Politifact, as of the end of 2016, there were over 570,000 jobs in the renewable energy industry in California, of which 110,000 were in the Los Angeles area. What's the economic impact of that. Which is growing faster, renewable or petroleum?

Certainly petroleum is a big part of the CA economy... just as coal and steel were huge parts of the US economy 120 years ago. Economies rarely completely transform over night, but evolve they do, and the market will force local economies to adapt to broader trends.
Renewables are a fraud. Solar panels produce pollutants to make. Windmills kill birds. And those that like them oddly enough don't want them anywhere near them. And if they weren't subsidized they wouldn't exist. Which tells me there is something wrong with the economic model.

Remember Obama's pet Solyndra? The politics of business. No more successful than modern politics. Just corruption writ large.

And no, I do not think anything should be subsidized by the feds. It is, IMO, a violation of the Constitution, to subsidize any one thing or business at the expense of another.
ftauss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #34
Genetk44
Dispatcher

Renewables aren’t a fraud ,they do work and produce energy....but they aren’t a perfect panacea. Unfortunately every type of power production mankind comes up with has negative consequences, none are impact neutral. I’m not a fan of the big wind turbines, they have a lot of proven downsides to human health not mention the aforementioned birdkill issue. So do solar panels, especially in big solar-farms, so does hydro electricity, coal and hydrocarbons also. The question is, which is less damaging and which long term negative consequences do we prefer to live with?
Old 08-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #35
J.Albert1949
Conductor

CTValley wrote:
"The coal industry has been in decline for 20 years or more, and the biggest culprit is cheap natural gas. That's why repealing all the regulations in the world can't being coal back."

Eventually the cheap gas will run out.
But the coal... will still be there.
J.Albert1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #36
Genetk44
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Albert1949 View Post
CTValley wrote:
"The coal industry has been in decline for 20 years or more, and the biggest culprit is cheap natural gas. That's why repealing all the regulations in the world can't being coal back."

And hopefully by then we will have found a less harmful or impactful type of energy...or we will be gone.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #37
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Albert1949 View Post
CTValley wrote:

Maybe... but nature creates natural gas far faster than it does coal or oil. Eventually, every consumable resource will run out. That's why it makes sense to find things that DON'T run out.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #38
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftauss View Post
Renewables are a fraud. Solar panels produce pollutants to make. Windmills kill birds. And those that like them oddly enough don't want them anywhere near them. And if they weren't subsidized they wouldn't exist. Which tells me there is something wrong with the economic model.

Remember Obama's pet Solyndra? The politics of business. No more successful than modern politics. Just corruption writ large.

And no, I do not think anything should be subsidized by the feds. It is, IMO, a violation of the Constitution, to subsidize any one thing or business at the expense of another.
Thanks for the laugh! It kills me every time someone trots out this argument. Nothing is perfect, but have you ever seen a coal mine? Or an oil field? And do you know anyone who wants to live next to a strip mine or coal- fired power plant? Ever heard of Exxon Valdez? How about Deepwater Horizon? Chernobyl? Fukushima? I lived a mere 44 miles from 3 Mile Island when they had the accident there... how do you think we felt?

Solyndra? Look at Blackjewel. Blue Sky Mining Company.

You should also do yourself a favor and look into subsidies for the petroleum and coal industries. They are subsidized to beat the band, but no one who supports them wants to admit it.