Engine sounds - - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
Norton1972
Hobo

Engine sounds -

I have a Marklin 4 6 2 steam/coal engine but it makes no sound. It would be really cool if I could figure out how to mate up some sound to it that was synched to the engine. And smoke - no smoke is good for lungs - but it would really enhance the engine if it made some smoke - -

I could of course make sounds with my lips but they rarely sync with much -
Norton1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Norton1972
Hobo

OMG!! I just did a YouTube search and it appears that all of my smoke and sound is available. Now I just have to figure out which is best for my 3005 engine.

And of course my brain to understand - -
Old 08-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Sounds are pretty easy to get by installing a sound decoder and speaker in the loco. Smoke units can be a little more problematic, in that you'll probably have to modify the shell and / or chassis to put it in.

The other issue with smoke is that it isn't really smoke. It's vaporized oil. When it condenses again it leaves an oily film on everything. Whether that's a tradeoff you're willing to make or not only you can say.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Smoke & sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton1972 View Post
OMG!! I just did a YouTube search and it appears that all of my smoke and sound is available. Now I just have to figure out which is best for my 3005 engine.

And of course my brain to understand - -
Norton1972;

You might want to post your questions about smoke units and (presumably) non-DCC sound units, on the "O-scale" and "Tinplate" sections. Smoke and sound are pretty common in O-scale. The folks over there probably could help you find what you need, and they may have installed similar devices. Chuff chuff sounds are often synchronized with the movement of the side rods by a cam on one of the driver axles that turns the sound on and off as the wheels turn.

good luck;

Traction Fan
Old 08-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
Norton1972
Hobo

Well I found a smoker in the pile of stuff that came with the train. Easy install and it works great. It does leave a bit of oil on the engine but I don't really care. The sounds are something I will have to talk to Marklin about. I'm not sure the sound is a biggy but the smokeis really cool. My old lionel O scale had a white pill you dropped in and lasted forever. No oily residue from it. I'm a happy camper.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Does your Marklin run on AC or DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton1972 View Post
Well I found a smoker in the pile of stuff that came with the train. Easy install and it works great. It does leave a bit of oil on the engine but I don't really care. The sounds are something I will have to talk to Marklin about. I'm not sure the sound is a biggy but the smokeis really cool. My old lionel O scale had a white pill you dropped in and lasted forever. No oily residue from it. I'm a happy camper.
Norton1972;

One of the most common ways of adding sounds (yes sounds plural) To a locomotive Is by converting a DC locomotive to DCC. That brings up the question does your Marklin train run on DC current, or AC? I'm not familiar with Marklin, but I know that some of their trains run on track that has a series of contact studs mounted in the center of the ties. A shoe on the center bottom of the loco rubs along these contact studs. this system is quite similar to the third rail in the center of Lionel track. I think that, like Lionel, this Marklin system uses AC to power the trains. If that's true, and you have that center studded track, then DCC will not work for you, at least not without going to the considerable trouble of replacing the AC motor in the locomotive with a DC motor.
However, I think Marklin also makes some trains that operate on DC power. They use conventional two-rail track, without the center studs. If that's the type you have, then you should be able to install a DCC decoder with sound, in your locomotive(s) you would also need a DCC controller to run the trains, but one controller can handle several trains, with independent control of each train.

The sounds available with DCC are not restricted to the chuff chuff sound of a steam locomotive. Bells, whistles, coupler noise, brake squeal, and several other sounds related to locomotive operation, are included. There are also sound decoders for diesel and electric locomotives, with sounds appropriate to those types.

Just a suggestion;

Traction Fan
Old 08-14-2019, 01:02 AM   #7
lajrmdlr
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Have never seen model steam engine exhaust look anything like what's produced by real steam engines, just no comparison!
lajrmdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 AM   #8
Magic
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO 1950s Southern Pacific in So. California.
You wouldn't last long in the train room if they did.

Magic
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
Norton1972
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajrmdlr View Post
Have never seen model steam engine exhaust look anything like what's produced by real steam engines, just no comparison!
True story.But it does look really cool to me for my little setup. If I could figure out a way to make it black or dark gray I likely would. Still an enhancement for my little deal.

Sounds appear to be more expensive than I am interested in spending but it's OK as I just enjoy it going around the track with the bit of smoke it does produce.

Thanks for all the nice replies!!