Looking for residential structures and terrain modeling software - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > N Scale
Forgotten your password?

N Scale Atlas, Life-Like, Graham Farish, Micro-Trains, Minitrix and other N scale discussion.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
sid
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
wow it even has water in it very nice. i likes . thanks fer posting pics
sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #12
GNfan
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme30 View Post
But where are all my little n scale people going to go after work?
Levittown? Many of the Imex houses at hobbylinc.com are based on Levittown prototypes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levittown
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boxes
Old 08-15-2019, 05:54 AM   #13
gimme30
Hobo

Lol I had no idea such a place existed! I don't know why but for some reason looking at pics of Levittown reminds me of the movie Downsizing.
I can't imagine living like that. I'm not THAT much of a people person.

Traction Fan I am familiar with the painted ladies, having built one in HO. I wasn't aware they were available in N! I'll admit they have pretty facades but from the back and sides they look like any other 2 story box. Still, one could fit nicely on my layout, especially considering my smallish neighborhood will be built on a hill.
Your comment about the fire hydrant cracked me up but I'm pretty sure in a contest it would still win.
Your (very much appreciated!) advice got me thinking...and you're right, I've made this much more difficult than it needs to be. I was able to spend some time last night mocking up terrain with towels draped over chunks of foam and I think I've come up with something that will work. In my particular case I don't need anything prototypically correct so close enough is good enough!

I'm not sure if it's allowed so I won't post the name of the site or links, but I ran across a gent on another forum who has created quite a few templates of houses that can be printed and transferred to styrene, none of which I'd ever seen before and some are quite different than the usual offerings. I don't have time to scratch build but these, after cutting out the parts, would really be more like building a kit.
gimme30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #14
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
I'll admit they have pretty facades but from the back and sides they look like any other 2 story box.
So do an awful lot of real houses.... Change them up a little: add some trim; cut an extra window opening. Add a deck or a patio. A whole lot of suburban neighborhoods in this country have houses that started out looking extremely similar until their owners started personalizing them. In my development of 32 houses, there are 3 prototypes, built in a left-hand or right-hand mirror image. But i only know that because I know the builder's son. You'd never know it on a quick drive through the neighborhood.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's allowed so I won't post the name of the site or links, but I ran across a gent on another forum who has created quite a few templates of houses that can be printed and transferred to styrene, none of which I'd ever seen before and some are quite different than the usual offerings. I don't have time to scratch build but these, after cutting out the parts, would really be more like building a kit.
And how would that not be scratchbuilding? Anyway, you have all the time in the world. It's not a race. If you must have a structure there, glue photos or even the printed plans to pieces of foam core or gatorfoam and drop them in to place. Then replace them with more permanent structures as you finish other tasks that seem more pressing to you.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:15 AM   #15
gimme30
Hobo

I don't consider it scratch building since the design and dimensions are already provided, but I suppose it's not too far off!

Since I'm at the terrain building stage I can get by with cardboard placeholders while the search goes on. Turns out there are appropriately sized dollhouses (of all things!) on ebay that could possibly be converted for use on a layout, and I'm negotiating with someone on Shapeways who claims he's got the files to print the McCormick house. ( a Victorian in Trinidad)

Funny how many HO houses come up when searching for N....When I move in 2 years I'm going to make darn sure I have space for a layout in that scale!

Out of curiosity, have you guys been able to get by with what's available, or have you been forced to improvise? Or do you just avoid the whole residential thing entirely?
gimme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #16
traction fan
Station Master

West Houses? houses? We don't need no stinking houses!

Quote:
I don't consider it scratch building since the design and dimensions are already provided, but I suppose it's not too far off!

Since I'm at the terrain building stage I can get by with cardboard placeholders while the search goes on. Turns out there are appropriately sized dollhouses (of all things!) on ebay that could possibly be converted for use on a layout, and I'm negotiating with someone on Shapeways who claims he's got the files to print the McCormick house. ( a Victorian in Trinidad)

Funny how many HO houses come up when searching for N....When I move in 2 years I'm going to make darn sure I have space for a layout in that scale!

Out of curiosity, have you guys been able to get by with what's available, or have you been forced to improvise? Or do you just avoid the whole residential thing entirely?
gimme30;

Most scratchbuilt structures are built from scaled-down prototype plans, which have the design, and dimensions, included. I've also worked solely from photos, in some cases. Even then though, I had the design right in the photo, and the dimensions could be "guesstimated" pretty accurately from people, or objects, shown in the photo. Both my tiny Black River station and the large Seattle Union Station scratch-builds were done using photos, rather than scale plans.

I don't understand how dollhouses could be used on an N-scale, or HO-scale, layout. Dollhouses are typically 1/12th scale or 1/24th scale models. N-scale is 1/160th scale, and HO-scale is 1/87th scale. I would think that a dollhouse would be far too big for either.

There is so much stuff available in N-scale that no one could afford to buy even one of every item. That said, there is even more available in HO-scale, since it's #1 in popularity, instead of #2. (N-scale) This probably means more house kits too. I've also seen some "N-scale" factory and warehouse kits from Pola that were really HO-scale kits, complete with HO-scale bricks, doorways, and window openings. They were supposedly "N-scale" because they came with fill-in adapters with (sort-of) "N-scale" doors and windows. This was the manufacturer's way to sell the same kit, cast from the same molds, in two different scales.

As for: "What do I use for houses on my own layout?" Well, not much. My layout is a two-level bookshelf design only 16" deep in most places. There are certain prototype scenes that I wanted to (loosely) represent, and amazingly enough, all of them are right next to the railroad tracks!
Since people don't normally build the home where they plan to sleep nights, right next to a railroad track, there are very few model houses on my layout. I do have all five of the "Painted Ladies" (kits), the mansion (kit) shown in one of my photos, I also have N-scale kits for a hotel that was right across the street from Seattle Union Station, some "Downtown Seattle" vintage brick commercial buildings, a restaurant(kit), a firehouse(kit), a gas station,(kit) two tenement-type apartment buildings, (kits) and several rail-served small industries(scratch), also the lighthouse keeper's stone cottage (Both the lighthouse, and the cottage, are two of my many scratch-builds.) Then there are retail stores (kits) Four railroad stations: one large, (my centerpiece scratchbuilt model of Union Station) one medium, Cedar Falls Station ( a laser-cut wood kit) one structure flat (scratchbuilt King St. Station.) and one tiny, Black River train order station. (scratch)
A water tower (scratch), two interlocking towers,(kits) several bridges, including a kitbash of the huge Salmon Bay Drawbridge, a scratchbuilt covered bridge, three deck-girder bridges (kits) , a long wooden truss bridge (scratch) and a large steel trestle. (kit bashed) There is also a see-through Railway Express building flat, and an ice house (kit) to serve express refer cars. That's quite enough structures for a medium size shelf layout!
Only a handful are residential, but for modeling the area "down by the tracks", they shouldn't be.

Traction Fan

Seattle Union Station concourse end 2.JPG

Seattle Union Station 5.JPG

Last edited by traction fan; 08-16-2019 at 05:28 PM..
traction fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #17
GNfan
Engineer

To be perfectly honest, you could buy $200 worth of the Imex houses at hobbylinc; paint them different colors, add assorted details, give each one a 6"x9" plot, add streets, driveways, trees, vehicles, etc. and you'd have a "reasonable facsimile" of a residential area in either the city I grew up in (Edmonds, WA) or the city I've lived in for the past 35 years (Richland, WA) in the same house. And I live maybe 5 miles from a very active branchline.

Last edited by GNfan; 08-16-2019 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: correction
GNfan is offline   Reply With Quote