data for the construction of the dash9 locomotive model - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Structures Forum
Forgotten your password?

Structures Forum Share your ideas and creations here, including your latest kitbash or scratch-built creation!

Old 08-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Misiak_MM
Hobo

Scales Modeled: III, 1:8, 1:4
data for the construction of the dash9 locomotive model

Hello,

Please help. I'm fan of USA trains from europe. I want to build scale III layout in my garden (1/16 - 3 1/2 inch standard gauge). Theme of my layout is freight transport of present with modern diesel locomotives.

I have to make all the things myself, but don't know where find data for construction.

Please anyone who can advise me where to get quality documents for building a model to advise me. Thank you all very much.

I am looking for:

GE AC4400CW (some just side drawings i found on trainiax web)
Diamond Truck for freight wagons
SD 70 series
Information on the operation of rail transport in the USA. Because it's totally different from railway transport and operation in europe.

Thank you Best regards Michal Railway Engineer from slovakia
Misiak_MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Hello and welcome to the train forum.
I went looking for some specs on the dash 9.
I also found out that the Union Pacific dash 9 I bought never existed.
UP did not have any dash 9s.
Here is a few simple specs. Width and length and such.

Configuration:

• AAR
C-C
• UIC
Co′Co′
Gauge
4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge
5 ft 3 in (1,600 mm), Brazil
Trucks
GE HiAd
Wheel diameter
42 in (1,067 mm)
Length
73 ft 8 in (22.45 m)
Width
10 ft 3 in (3.12 m)
Height
16 ft 0 in (4.88 m)
Loco weight
425,000 lb (192,800 kilograms)
or 212.5 short tons (189.7 long tons; 192.8 t)
Fuel capacity
5,000 US gal (19,000 l; 4,200 imp gal)
Prime mover
GE 7FDL16
Engine type
four stroke cycle V16 diesel engine
Aspiration
Turbocharged
Alternator
GE GMG197
Traction motors
GE 5GE752AH DC traction motors
Cylinders
Transmission
diesel electric with silicon diode rectifiers,
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Welcome, Michal! It's always good to have people from the other side of the pond who take an interest in North American railroading (I say North American because these days, there isn't a lot to distinguish between Canadian and US railroading).

Unfortunately, you're not going to find everything you want in one place -- being able to use Google is going to be your best friend. Also, because things differ so much from one North American railroad to another, you might want to consider choosing a specific railroad to model, because you can look up specific models of locomotive, operating procedures, etc., and you can contact their historical society for equipment rosters, timetables, and so on.

A couple of other good sources of information: the Kalmbach Hobby Store sells dozens of excellent books on model railroading (modeling rolling stock and structures, and adopting real world operating procedures to your layout, as well as how to model specific industries), garden railroading, and real-world data. Several books on diesels are available, but the one that had line drawings and dimensions is out of print. The link is here: https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/catalog/books?

A second excellent source is Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine. It is a free (for the basic subscription), on-line only publication that is loaded with articles on scratch building locomotives and structures, prototype operations, and yes, not one but TWO articles on freight car trucks. It is fully indexed so you can find articles easily, and all back issues are available on-line (read online or download). Their website is: https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

Your research will be half the fun. Good luck!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Misiak_MM
Hobo

Scales Modeled: III, 1:8, 1:4
Thank you guys for your replies,

my problem is the unattainability of the actual template. Therefore, I look for drawings from all sides so that I can build a model without the need to travel to a real locomotive and measure it. The diamond chassis also can not find the dimensions.

BNSF subdivision seems to suit my purpose. Bows and fields loading agricultural products. Transit of containers, oil, wood for furniture production. I think I saw a document where just such a section of the track located in the subdivision BNSF between the Mojave Desert and Texas where they say they have somewhere central warehouses.

But first I have to build a locomotive and a few cars. Otherwise, I buy a locomotive fleet in H0, pull down the attic and build a track there. I hope to explain it to my wife somehow. However, it is in the interest of expanding rail transport.
Misiak_MM is offline   Reply With Quote