Synchronized smoke? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Wolferz
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: British OO and European HO
Synchronized smoke?

I bought a beautiful MTH Bavarian S 3/6 to pull my Orient Express set. It is my first DCC loco. It has Proto 3.0 sound and synchronized smoke that puffs while in motion and gives a small steady waft when still. I've been bitten by the bug. I want more! I checked MTH and this is the only European HO locomotive they have made. I did find a T16.1 Tank loco for freight and shunting made by ESU that boasts synchro smoke and prototypical sound. It is the first and only steam loco ESU has made thus far and I am not sure if it is worth risking. Roco also has an era III BR 10 with dynamic smoke emission - model 62191. It was the world's first dynamic smoke according to Roco and I've not yet found it anywhere for sale. These three locomotives cannot possibly be the only three in existence that have smoke though, could they? I've searched everywhere and cannot seem to find more. Does anyone here have any insider info on other steam coming or already manufactured that have smoke and proto sound? I'd like to get my hands on some. I have a fleet of locos that are all DC.

P.S. I model European HO

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green s3-6.jpg (139.4 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by Wolferz; 07-30-2017 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: added P.S.
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Chet
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
I am not a big fan of smoke in model railroads as it is far from looking real, but here's another MTH locomotive that does have the same system. Taken at the Livingston Mopdel Railroad Club in the old Northern Pacific Depot in Livingston, MT.

It is a DM&IR Yellowstone. Looks a bit better than some other systems I have seen.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Wolferz
Brakeman

Chet, I appreciate the reply. I guess I forgot to specify that I model European rail. Sorry about that. I did see other MTH locos but the Bavarian S 3/6 was the only European HO one.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Chet
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
It is easy to see that it was a European locomotive. I am a fan of railroad from all over. Years ago while stationed in Gaeta, Italy, I took a multi country trip by rail through Switzerlans, Austria into Germany where I picked up my BMW Bavaria. I have a cousin who worked for BMW and he ordered one to American specs and drove it until I picked it up and then I toured through Europe with it and managed to get enough miles on it so as not to have to pay duties on a new car.

The European railways are quite different than the US, but I loved seeing as many railroads as I could.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Wolferz
Brakeman

That is splendid Chet! I've always wanted to visit Europe and enjoy watching Rick Steve's on PBS as well as all the current steam on YouTube.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:14 AM   #6
EMD_GP9
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: H0, O fine scale, 5" Live steam.
Hi. AS you say there are few European locos with synchrosmoke.
The Roco loco is not very prototypical as it has steam issuing from around the cylinders all the time to I suppose simulate the cylinder drain cocks which are in practice only operated at the start to clear condensation from the cylinders !
The only other maker is REE who make only French prototypes but have cylinder steam which can be turned off after starting !
There are many US prototypes available with synchrosmoke and I have some from BLI which is actually in Florida.
Regards, Colin.
EMD_GP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #7
Wolferz
Brakeman

Hi. I've been gone some time due to health. I bought a BR85 from Roco but it was defective and smoke does not work. In addition it is quite rear heavy and tends to derail moving forward. The store changed owners right after I bought it and refused to address the issues even though it had a 2 year warranty. I was able to get a refund thankfully but have never found anyone to fix it. I am contemplating giving the REE 231 a try.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
LateStarter
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO; 1/35 & 1/48 U.S. WWII aircraft & armor
To each their own, but not a fan.
I perceive that model smoke deposits a film on things.
It's banned at the club.
Jus' sayin'.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
Wolferz
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateStarter View Post
To each their own, but not a fan.
I perceive that model smoke deposits a film on things.
It's banned at the club.
Jus' sayin'.
I agree with the film deposit. But I do enjoy it and frequent cleaning is a must both of the rails and the wheels. To me it is a fair trade, though one day I will have 7.5' live steam to ride lol.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #10
Norton1972
Hobo

To each their own. And to do so in peace.
Norton1972 is offline   Reply With Quote