Mind Gardens - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
Lehigh74
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O
Mind Gardens

Iíve grown a few vegetables for years. Mostly just tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. Last year, the squirrels acquired a taste for tomatoes and they took several. I had to pick them when they just started to turn red in order to get some for myself. I thought about building a chicken wire enclosure last fall, but it seemed crazy to spend a few hundred dollars for some tomatoes.

This year I planted more tomatoes thinking there would be enough for the squirrels and for me. That didnít work. They are taking them way before they are ripe and some plants have been stripped clean. So, Iím building the enclosure to keep the little buggers out. So far, Iíve got 4 days into it. I still think itís a bit crazy, but I do like fresh home-grown summer tomatoes and my wife makes killer bruschetta. The chicken wire comes in on Monday (from Amazon Bob S). I hope there are some tomatoes left by then.

All the while Iím building this thing, I keep thinking of the Byrds song Mind Gardens.

IMG_3921.JPG
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #2
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Nice looking squirrel cage. Hope it works. It should. My wife loved animals but she hated those tree rats. Sometimes we never got a tomato. They didn't seem to bother our bell peppers. I read they raided gardens for water from the fruit. We put out pans of water for them. Nope, they preferred the tomatoes.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
TripleO
Hobo

I hope the cage does the job for you.

A lot of canning, freezing and other methods of food preservation are carried on here at the ol' house on the hill. I have 45 tomato plants, mostly Roma's, some heritage and a few main crop hybrid varieties. 15 peppers, both hot and sweet varietis. 5 different kinds of potatoes, 6 dry beans and 2 varieties of green beans. Cabbage, Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beets, turnips, parsnips, several kinds of melons, sweet potatoes, peas, garlic, corn, onions and several herbs round off the list.

Last year I noticed some half eaten tomatoes out in the garden. Took awhile to figure it out, but it was deer coming in and nibbling on those suckers. In all my years of gardening I had never seen that before. It wasn't a major problem, but this year I did put out some deer chaser-offer stuff and will see how that works.

All a part of the fun that goes with the territory, I guess.
TripleO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleO View Post
Last year I noticed some half eaten tomatoes out in the garden. Took awhile to figure it out, but it was deer coming in and nibbling on those suckers. In all my years of gardening I had never seen that before. It wasn't a major problem, but this year I did put out some deer chaser-offer stuff and will see how that works.

All a part of the fun that goes with the territory, I guess.
Deer are the bane of my existence. They eat just about anything I plant.

I can't discharge a firearm at my house -- too close to other houses -- but there are no such restrictions on bow hunting. I got my limit last year from my deck with a crossbow. And I'll keep doing it every year until the buggers decide that my property is an unhealthy place. Unfortunately, they are so dumb I doubt they ever will.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
mesenteria
Dispatcher

Deer around here stay away from plants sprayed with Bobbex. The stuff stinks to high heaven, but one application every three weeks or more seems to deter the voracious deer on Vancouver Island. I currently have a very elegant hanging basket well within their reach, and about 8 traipse through my front yard every day. There isn't a leaf out of place on that thing, nor a flower nibbled. Meanwhile, other plants nearby are nubbed quite drastically.
mesenteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
Old_Hobo
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO (also a little OO & O)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
Deer are the bane of my existence. They eat just about anything I plant.

I can't discharge a firearm at my house -- too close to other houses -- but there are no such restrictions on bow hunting. I got my limit last year from my deck with a crossbow. And I'll keep doing it every year until the buggers decide that my property is an unhealthy place. Unfortunately, they are so dumb I doubt they ever will.
The only way to keep them away is to stop inviting them by planting stuff that they will eat....they are driven by their stomachs....
Old 07-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
Dennis461
Engineer

No win situation

"...but it seemed crazy to spend a few hundred dollars for some tomatoes."

Care to guess how much I spend trying to catch fish?

Wrap your mind around this..you have pet squirrels and you feed them tomatoes
Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 AM   #8
Lehigh74
Station Master

Actually, I think they are my wife’s pets. She loves to feed the wildlife…birds, chipmunks, squirrels. The chipmunks also like tomatoes. The critters must think this is the best restaurant in town and the tomatoes are just one feature on the smorgasbord. I suggested I could trap or poison the tomatoe eaters, but she didn’t like that idea.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #9
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Hobo View Post
The only way to keep them away is to stop inviting them by planting stuff that they will eat....they are driven by their stomachs....
Yes, that's what a deer is: a life support system for a stomach!

All of my ornamentals are "deer resistant", but unfortunately, we want to grow veggies, and the deer love those....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
Lehigh74
Station Master

I finished the garden enclosure last week. So nice to let the tomatoes ripen on the vine. I thought you guys might be interested in what I used for door pulls.

IMG_4038.JPG

IMG_4039.JPG