Does your state have a bottle deposit law? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
prrfan
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO
Does your state have a bottle deposit law?

I always thought this was a great idea, until I moved to a state that had one. NY has a 5 cent deposit on soda, beer and water bottles and cans.

The problem with it was that the return centers at the grocery stores were usually crowded, and many times the machines were either full or not working.

They use a system called Deposit Link, which is supposed to accept all brands that were purchased in-state. The reality of that was much different.

You could always go to the customer service desk at the store if the machine wouldn’t take it, and stand in that line.

A lot of those containers wind up being tossed in the trash or directly recycled. What happens to that deposit money?

After dealing with it for 10 years, I came to the conclusion that it’s not worth it. Just put recycling bins in. Forget the 5 cents. (Or 10 in some states). Glad I don’t need to mess with it anymore.
prrfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
We've had a deposit law in Ct for years & starting in a week or so (Aug, 1st) there will be no more plastic bags allowed in supermarkets. You will have to bring your a recycling bag or get charged 10 cents for a paper one.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #3
Lehigh74
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O
I don’t know if PA ever had a law, but when I was a kid, you would get 2 cents for each beer bottle or Soda/Pop bottle that you returned. The bottles would be sterilized and reused. Sometimes when you bought a case of soda or beer, it would be obvious from the wear on some of the bottles that they had been used many times. Then they started using non-returnable bottles.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
prrfan
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh74 View Post
I don’t know if PA ever had a law, but when I was a kid, you would get 2 cents for each beer bottle or Soda/Pop bottle that you returned. The bottles would be sterilized and reused. Sometimes when you bought a case of soda or beer, it would be obvious from the wear on some of the bottles that they had been used many times. Then they started using non-returnable bottles.
Yes, that was my main source of income when I was a kid. We would scour the construction sites for glass bottles and return them for the deposit. Heavy glass and yes, re-used many times.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #5
DennyM
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O, On30, HO gauges
It's $.10 here and yes here lines of people with shopping carts full. I give them to my son since he doesn't have a job he can stand in line with the minions.

Southwest Michigan Modular Railroad Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement

Last edited by DennyM; 07-26-2019 at 06:02 PM..
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
No bottle law in Wyoming. And it shows in many roadside ditches. But that's also a result of people's refusal to recycle. It's not like it's a chore to recycle. There's just this prevailing attitude of "throw it away...wherever."
Old 07-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
Old_Hobo
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO (also a little OO & O)
My province (Alberta) has deposits on bottles, soda cans, beer cans and bottles, juice boxes and plastic milk jugs. We have a bottle depot system here, and it works pretty well. A lot of people donate their empties to charities, Boy Scouts, hockey teams, etc.

Or, if we are too lazy to go to the bottle depot, we can throw them in our city's blue re-cycle bins, and the city will get the refunds....

And there are no cans and bottles laying around anywhere, as the deposit encourages people to take them back to the depot.....motivated people will pick them....

Throwing them in the trash is such a waste.....
Old 07-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
prrfan
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Hobo View Post
A lot of people donate their empties to charities, Boy Scouts, hockey teams, etc.
I’ve always wondered why more charities and non-profits don’t do that.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
GNfan
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
Surprisingly, Washington State does not have a bottle deposit law, although there have been multiple attempts to impose one by voter initiative. So far, the successful "against" argument (from the grocery retailers and the beverage industry) has been that the handling and disposal of the returned empties would add "overhead" costs that would be passed on in higher prices.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
J.Albert1949
Conductor

In CT here, too.

When I go for my afternoon/evening walk, I take a plastic bag.
If I find one can or bottle, I'm happy.
Two or three, that's even better!
I save 'em in paper bags on the back porch.
When I have enough, I take them to the market and get some money.

Being retired, it's my only "extra income"

Having said that, it's ridiculous about getting rid of plastic bags in supermarkets here.
What are places like Walmart going to do?
J.Albert1949 is offline   Reply With Quote