DCC Locomotive Test Track - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 08-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
jaftwo
Hobo

USA DCC Locomotive Test Track

Hi, new forum member with a real rookie question. I'm in an apartment and don't really have room for a HO layout, but I'm collecting HO loco's and cars. I wanted to make a small 4' track to simply test a locomotive when purchased to make sure the sound, lighting and motor works.

I'm thinking an inexpensive DCC controller and completing the small track section via wires (left rail end to left rail beginning and same for the right rails.) So it would be a simple straight or curved section of track. Is this feasible?
jaftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
mesenteria
Dispatcher

Hi, and welcome. Yes, whatever you can craft that you can fit in, and live with, is what you can use to test rolling stock. Note that it might be instructive to have at least a single #5 turnout ('DCC-friendly' is best) somewhere in your trackage so that you can test how easily the locomotive negotiates that kind of turnout*. The odd locomotive balks over certain turnout configurations.

*-A turnout is also known as a 'switch', but in our hobby we use electrical switches as well, so it can be confusing. The proper engineering, real-world, term for a 'switch' to change train directions is 'turnout'. Every turnout has a switch, comprising the head blocks, throwbar, and points rails that move sideways.
mesenteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
jaftwo
Hobo

Thanks! Yes, that's good advice.
jaftwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
wvgca
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO 1890's
if you have basic electronics knowledge, a DCC++ setup would be very low cost .... on the other hand, ready made DCC setups can be obtained reasonably

wvgca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #5
J.Albert1949
Conductor

For a 48" test track, you could do this:

- buy a 48" piece of 1x3 or 1x4 lumber at Home Depot or Lowe's. You might spend a little extra for a piece of birch rather than pine (less likely to warp).

- buy one Kato #2-150 (4 pcs straight track, 9.5")
- buy one Kato #2-151 (1 pc terminal straight track, 9.5")

If you wish to secure the track to the board, there are "pilot holes" for screw mounting (accessible on the underside of the track pieces).

It will look good and you'll have wire leads ready to attach to your dcc unit.
J.Albert1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Just make sure you put some kind of wheel stop at the ends of the rails. You don't want something running off the end and getting damaged.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

This is my 4x4 test track for standard and narrow gauge (HO and HOn3). I use DCC++ and plan to use this track for testing various bits of controllers and sensors. The turnouts were hand-laid and I incorporated a bit of torture into the layout with that S-curve on the left. The bottom of the oval provides sectional track issues going from a straight immediately into a curve, while the top of the oval has smooth easements. The design was created to test future code for controlling two locomotives operating on the track at the same time, either the same or opposite directions, with the possibility of one loco shuffling cars between sidings and hopefully representing some of the worst situations I might see on a real layout. But for now, it also works great to test DCC locos as I get them set up.

Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
DonR
Train Master

At train shows one or more of the vendors will
have a multi gauge loco test track set up. It is
usually 3 to 4 feet long, similar to what you propose.

For that short length, a single pair of wires from
your DCC controller to a mid point in the track
would be sufficient.

As suggested, including one or more turnouts can
add more interest to your facility. As a matter of
fact, some of our members have built small switching
layouts not much larger than 4 feet long. You might
find that one of those layouts will fit in your apartment
and will let you enjoy your new locos.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags