Tortoise Smail Switch Motor wire and program - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 05-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
Cab1
Brakeman

Tortoise Smail Switch Motor wire and program

I picked up 12 Smail switch motors for my layout. They're the same as the regular tortoise switch motors made by the same company, but have a DCC decoder built into it. Except for one guy on YouTube you don't hear much from anybody who are actually using Smail switch motors. Maybe it's because of the 25 - 30 % bump up in price, but if you consider the advantage of not needing a power supply or switch motor controller, like the Digitrax DS64, it seems like it would be worth the bigger price tag. Has anyone here used these things?
Cab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Actually, I use Tam Valley Servos, which do have a separate power supply and controller, which I consider to be an advantage, not a disadvantage. It prices out to about the same cost per turnout as a Tortoise without DCC capability.

However, the Smail is functionally equivalent to using a Tortoise with a separate stationary decoder installed. I'm sure lots of people who have done that will reply.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote