Model Train Forum banner

Abandoned Train Stations around the world.

21K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  lyrics 51 
#1 ·
I was looking around the internet and thought this might be an interesting thread to start.
There are a lot of what used to be majestic works of art, in many old train stations.
A lot are now sitting abandoned and in various states of disrepair.

Some are being rebuilt into other uses and saved from the wrecking ball.

The first one here is one of those that is being saved, it has quite a history behind it.
I pieced together some of the facts about the structure. At the end are a couple of links with a bunch of pictures.

Canfranc International Railway Station

Transport Track Building Architecture Train station

The Pau To Canfranc Line
Middle of the 19th century, southwest of France, Pyrénées-Atlantiques department. The mid-19th century idea of linking the French (Béarn) and Spanish (Aragon) sides of the Pyrenees by railway was marked by multiple fruitless attempts, in large part due to the difficulty of traversing the mountain range.

Work was started in 1904 after the signing of a treaty between France and Spain. The construction of this railway marked an enormous challenge to the railway engineering and building methods of the day.
Opened in 1928, the main building is 240 meters long and has 300 windows and 156 doors.

It was the largest and most glamorous railway station in the world, a shining jewel of Art Nouveau elegance nestling high in the Pyrenees mountains.
But after a chequered history which saw it commandeered by the Nazis during the Second World War, Canfranc International Railway Station has slowly slipped into disrepair and is now little more than a crumbling shell.

In 1940 Spanish Dictator Franco was pictured proudly leading Hitler along one of its wide sprawling platforms.
The Nazi leader appears to have been impressed and, after recognizing the station's logistical importance, the Germans took control raising their Swastika flag above the ornate towers.
The Nazis first used it to transport hundreds of tonnes of looted gold plundered across Europe.
Perversely at the end of the war, the station that had once helped thousands of Jews flee the holocaust was used by Nazi War criminals to evade capture themselves.

Photograph Monochrome Black-and-white Marching Event

Yet it hides a remarkable secret - deep below the surface in the old tunnels that cross the border between Spain and France, scientists have set up movable astroparticle laboratories where they are attempting to unlock the mysteries of dark matter.

More than 80 bridges, 24 tunnels, 4 viaducts and huge deforestation works would be necessary to cross the very steep and tight Aspe Valley on the French side.

About 50% of the railway on the French side would consist of engineered structures built using massive dressed stone.
The line was never profitable. 1929's Great Depression, 1931's large fire and 1936's Spanish civil war would condemn the railway to official disuse. The trans-Pyrenean tunnel would even be bricked up to prevent access by French invaders. With the start of the 2nd World War, activity would restart, with Germany taking advantage of the railway link. The Resistance would even dynamite some of the railway bridges on the French side in 1944.

The station's raison d'être came to an abrupt halt in 1970 when a train derailment demolished a bridge on the French side of the mountains. The French decided not to rebuild the bridge, the cross border line was closed and never re-opened.

Vehicle Earthquake Scrap

I did see something about it being all rebuilt and is now a tourist hotel now.

A lot more reading and info in the following links,

A wiki,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canfranc_International_Railway_Station

Another link,
Be sure to visit the Gallery,
http://www.forbidden-places.net/urban-exploration-canfranc-railway-station#2

More pictures,
http://pixgood.com/canfranc-railway-station.html

More here,
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/abandoned-train-station-of-canfranc

More pictures and a short video in this one
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ecret-laboratory-researching-dark-matter.html

See less See more
#38 ·
#39 ·
Seattle stations

Seattle is a bit unusual, in that it has two large beautiful railroad passenger stations, right across the street from each other. Even more unusual,in a good way, is that both are still standing, and preserved in excellent condition. One, King St. Station, is still in use by Amtrak. It is getting a major restoration of its interior.
The other, Seattle Union Station, has already been fully restored inside. The former Union Pacific, and Milwaukee Road tracks have been taken up and a new green glass office building built where the tracks were.
The station building itself though, is open to the public, free of charge. Union Station is also rented out as a meeting hall for private events. What a location for a train show!(hint, hint!)
I have been fortunate enough to visit both stations, and have built a near N scale model of Union Station,(unfinished) as I model part of the Milwaukee Road, set in the Seattle area. The layout is in my garage here in San Diego.
If you have the chance visit these grand old structures, built in the "Guilded age". (Union Station was built one year before RMS Titanic set out on its one, and only, half a voyage.)
We are not likely to see such structures again.

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

#41 ·
#42 ·
Sorry to take us back to the NYC City Hall station, but I remember my dad telling me about several other stations in NY that had curved platforms. They had to have "gap fillers" to bring the platform closer to the subway car doors. They slid out when the train was in the station and slid back in after it left. Apparently the original trains had doors only at the ends of the cars, so there was no need for the gap fillers. When middle doors were introduced to the cars they were needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.