Introduce yourself here! - Page 782 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > New Member Introduction
Forgotten your password?

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Come in here and introduce yourself!

Old 01-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #7811
biff
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
traction fan

Thanks but, I probably would be better on HOW NOT TO DO IT.
Lotta mistakes over the last 60 years.

Thanks for the tip on changing my screen...but I cannot find where to accomplish that...I bet you would know, right?

biff
biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 08:15 PM   #7812
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Wrong guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff

Thanks for the tip on changing my screen...but I cannot find where to accomplish that...I bet you would know, right?

biff
biff;

No, I'm afraid I'm the wrong guy to ask about digital stuff. You can ask gunrunnerjohn, our administrator, or ask in the "Forum News Updates and Help" section or the "Technical Forum section. There are lots of digital types there who should be able to help you with changing to a screen name in order to protect your personal e-mail address from abuse.

Traction Fan
Old 01-22-2020, 12:32 AM   #7813
bkrenderman
Hobo

Hello,

My name is Ravi and i am new to this model railroad community. though I am learning fast. I have been trying to do as much as I can by myself. means I try to build thing if I can rather buying them ready made. for ex - turnouts, bridge, ballast, utility poles, signals etc. I am also recodring videos as i progress I will keep posting my work. hope to see you all in discussion.

Best
bkrenderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #7814
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
Welcome to all of the new members here on the MTF.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #7815
traction fan
Station Master

West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrenderman View Post
Hello,

My name is Ravi and i am new to this model railroad community. though I am learning fast. I have been trying to do as much as I can by myself. means I try to build thing if I can rather buying them ready made. for ex - turnouts, bridge, ballast, utility poles, signals etc. I am also recodring videos as i progress I will keep posting my work. hope to see you all in discussion.

Best
Ravi;

Welcome to the forum! I also build many things "from scratch" instead of buying them ready made. My layout is N-scale and based on part of an American railroad called the "Milwaukee Road". The part I model was near Seattle, Washington, in the northwest corner of the U.S.
What can you tell us about your railway? Is it based on a particular real one? What scale are your trains? How big is your layout? I look forward to seeing your videos. You can't attach videos directly to your forum posts. Record them as youtube videos and then put a link to them in your forum post. That way we will be able to see them. The files attached below are some that I wrote to help new modelers. Look through them if you want to. They may have some information that will help you.

Again Welcome;

Traction Fan

How I scratch build turnouts new(8).pdf

All AboutTurnouts rev 5.pdf

Tips for handling small parts.pdf

Assembly instructions for switch machine..pdf

Paintbrush Pine Trees.pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

Model Railroad Terminology 3.pdf

WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

6 How to build a better first layout.pdf
Old 01-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #7816
QueenoftheGN
Conductor

Scales Modeled: N scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by biff

biff
contact gunrunnerjohn and ask him to change your username and he can buuuuut users cant change them
QueenoftheGN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #7817
RichardS-VA
Hobo

Hello. My name is Richard and I am in central Virginia. Interested in HO (or is it, "H0"?) scale modeling, particularly running trains instead of focusing on accuracy of details.

Have my own home and plan to use a very large space in the finished attic area for the hobby. The space is approximately 13' wide x 30+' long with kneewalls 50" tall. This should permit a good 13'x20' u-shaped layout I'd imagine! Originally considered a lift-out section to run an oval design but after reading some other experiences, a u-shape may be more practical to run trains along a complex loop as I'm not much into the switching or task-based stuff.

There is a local club with a very old and very large oval setup. However, I'd like to create a modular setup at home with elevation changes, tunnels, and even a few bridges/trestles that would keep me busy as I work on creating each module but still be able to run trains along a lengthy loop.

Currently reading as many track layout books as possible. Am fascinated by those youtube videos from users that have used a sharp knife and spray paint to create realistic mountain scenes from pink foam insulation boards (instead of plaster on top of filler or chicken wire).

Have two Broadway Limited engines: steam Greenbrier hybrid brass #614 and diesel GE ES44AC. Also have the Paragon3 big subwoofer and lightning kits, over 40 assorted cars (Broadway Limited, Tangent, Bowser, Atlas, and more). Lots of Atlas code 83 flex track. Everything still in boxes ready for a design!
RichardS-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:30 PM   #7818
traction fan
Station Master

West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS-VA View Post
Hello. My name is Richard and I am in central Virginia. Interested in HO (or is it, "H0"?) scale modeling, particularly running trains instead of focusing on accuracy of details.

Have my own home and plan to use a very large space in the finished attic area for the hobby. The space is approximately 13' wide x 30+' long with knee walls 50" tall. This should permit a good 13'x20' u-shaped layout I'd imagine! Originally considered a lift-out section to run an oval design but after reading some other experiences, a u-shape may be more practical to run trains along a complex loop as I'm not much into the switching or task-based stuff.

There is a local club with a very old and very large oval setup. However, I'd like to create a modular setup at home with elevation changes, tunnels, and even a few bridges/trestles that would keep me busy as I work on creating each module but still be able to run trains along a lengthy loop.

Currently reading as many track layout books as possible. Am fascinated by those youtube videos from users that have used a sharp knife and spray paint to create realistic mountain scenes from pink foam insulation boards (instead of plaster on top of filler or chicken wire).

Have two Broadway Limited engines: steam Greenbrier hybrid brass #614 and diesel GE ES44AC. Also have the Paragon3 big subwoofer and lightning kits, over 40 assorted cars (Broadway Limited, Tangent, Bowser, Atlas, and more). Lots of Atlas code 83 flex track. Everything still in boxes ready for a design!
Richard;

Welcome to the forum!
The modeling scale you like is pronounced as initials, not as a word that is a slang term for prostitute.
It's HO-scale (1/87th of full size) as in Half O-scale (1/48th of full size)
It sounds like you have plenty of space! Is that attic blazing hot in summer and freezing cold in winter? Or do you have heating and air conditioning up there?

Building your layout in sections is a good idea. It makes it easy to work on one area at a time and lets you take your hard work with you, if you ever have to move.
The files below are some that I've written to help new modelers. Look through them if you wish. They may provide some useful information.

Again welcome;

Traction Fan

WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

All AboutTurnouts rev 5.pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

Model Railroad Terminology 3.pdf

Paintbrush Pine Trees.pdf

Tips for handling small parts.pdf

Introductory letter for switch machine.pdf

Assembly instructions for switch machine..pdf

How I scratch build turnouts new(8).pdf
Old 01-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #7819
RichardS-VA
Hobo

Thanks! I was reading your attachments from another post in the thread, good info.

The following layout called "Outback" from Sandia Software seems very interesting as a lengthy single main track. Could put a town scene instead of a roundhouse.

Been reading books from the late John Armstrong as well.outback 3d bev 3.jpg

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
RichardS-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:20 AM   #7820
Chaostrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: N, HO, On30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS-VA View Post

Have my own home and plan to use a very large space in the finished attic area for the hobby. The space is approximately 13' wide x 30+' long with kneewalls 50" tall. This should permit a good 13'x20' u-shaped layout I'd imagine! Originally considered a lift-out section to run an oval design but after reading some other experiences, a u-shape may be more practical to run trains along a complex loop as I'm not much into the switching or task-based stuff.

One option you can do if you want a loop is to create it as free standing instead attached to the wall. That way you can walk all the way around it. It will probably require a little more bracing for stability and something to cover the power cords so you don't trip over them.

Chaostrain is offline   Reply With Quote