The beginnings of a new layout.. - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 08-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
MatroxD
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO and N
The beginnings of a new layout..

I had thought long and hard since Micheal advised a few months back that, pretty much my little area was maxed out. I have been in hospital for a little while, and I, at some point had a vision. Nothing complex, but the next step. It required an upgrade in size and rethinking of how I run the layout. Also going to encompass some of the things that I have learned on my small layout.

I am going to try to do some switches. I also going to still do N and HO.. I am doing it simply because I have a good deal of tinkering preformed on my N engines. Basically no other reason. I am finding myself enjoying the simplicity of my HO engines a bit more these days (simply because of the size and what they offer). So my switching is going to be based on the HO models(I may, at some point do a couple N switches, but I'm not sure at this point). I also believe that, I will only run an engine on each line, which I will only have 2 lines this time. I am going to consist my N engines I believe, or I will have a sitting "waiting zone" of sorts..

I cannot say it will be prototypical in any sort, simply because my realism skills imho aren't there. I would like to experiment with some weathering also. These are my goals of this expansion.

For now, I have broken the old layout all the way down, and have begun getting my track plan in order. It has to be simple for me, as I do not know how switches do, or do not affect the DCC circuit. I want to say I saw something about reversing, but I cannot remember. I will have to read on it. I am far enough away from it anyhow that I have time..

I, of course will update as things proceed. For now (today), I built my platform/table, stripped everything from the old platform (I didn't think it would be that difficult or time consuming), hung cleaned everything up, and actually pinned up the track on the layout (my concept plan), and traced it. Tomorrow's goal is to caulk the track to the foam, and honestly that's it, along with soldering the connections on the trackwork. But tomorrow's a new day and we will see how it goes..

But a decent little start..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
MatroxD is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
Chaostrain
Conductor

Scales Modeled: N, HO, On30
It looks like you have a very good start. I look forward to following you as you progress.
Chaostrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
MatroxD
Engineer

Thank you. I hope to have a good start. I'm up sanding the little left puget off the old tracks. Then I'm hoping to size up and get the real joiners on. Then, the main task for today is caulking the track to the foam. If I can get to it, with all the joining and soldering in of the feed wires. I have hope though..

Old 08-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
MatroxD
Engineer

I actually got things glued down, and all of the soldering of the joints completed. I need to run my feeds, and I think i'm going to actually, not necessarily start fresh with all the decoders (stationary), but because of all the wiring, I think I am going to.. Ah.. Lol.. I'm not sure as of yet. Lol..

But I got some shots of the finished results of the day. I had to put the trains on, just to get an image in my head of how things will look. I might do the same today with the few houses and buildings. I'm really considering a little industrial area around the switches. And yes, I did end up buying a switch for the N scale, just had to..

The goal for today, if possible, honestly is simple:mount the "power distribution and decoder " board (lol, yes, I'm calling and naming it that.. Sounds sooo technical). Which I need to hack from my "minds" estimate, at least 3"off, in order for it to fit under the table, making it basically another brace. I would also like to run at least to feeds to make sure that the trains actually run.. Lol.. But that may be for another day honestly(what always sounds easy, is never actually easy).. . But it would be nice.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #5
MatroxD
Engineer

Progress!

After getting the switch issue resolved, I moved on to new things. I started the task of ballasting. I decided to try mixing the medium I had with a bag of course, of another color for originality.. Didn't get far, but it's a start.

Also, we tried our hands at foam sculpting. We really only have one bill so far, but it was enough, too at least fuel my imagination to just break and cut some pieces off. The church hill is the result.

Going to try and keep things shorter, so I'm ending.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Gramps
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO then G back to HO
I had some concerns about access in the corner of the layout but since you were able to fit the church in there it looks like you solved it.
Gramps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
sid
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
yeeee another layout to watch grow. keep then coming along. looking wonderful
sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:38 AM   #8
MatroxD
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I had some concerns about access in the corner of the layout but since you were able to fit the church in there it looks like you solved it.
Yes, if I weren't a really big guy, I'd have those concerns also..

Old 08-28-2018, 05:40 AM   #9
MatroxD
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid View Post
yeeee another layout to watch grow. keep then coming along. looking wonderful
Thanks! I am going to, and have tried quite a few new things. It isn't going to be as fast of a build as the last one(as far as I can tell)..

Old 08-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
MatroxD
Engineer

Updates from last night. I finished the ballast (well I have one little spot on the N siding that I need to do) and moved to the ground work. Did a little foam sculpting, and built the overhang to my factory. I will hopefully this evening finish sanding the foam hills, and hopefully get them glued. That is my hope. And maybe finish the little ballast work. I honestly should be doing that first, but, I don't care for ballasting that much, and know it's something I just have to do. The only other thing with the track that needs to be done, is a little N bumper. That's one reason I haven't finished that piece of ballast yet.

But thats it for now