The beginnings of a new layout.. - Page 21 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 03-29-2019, 01:58 AM   #201
PoppetFlatsRR
Engineer

And I was thinking you were building a green house for the Pot. Man do I get things wrong on a regular basis.

Glad you got it fixed. I will never be able to work on the engines, too small and the eyes are giving up.
PoppetFlatsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #202
MatroxD
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO and N
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppetFlatsRR View Post
And I was thinking you were building a green house for the Pot. Man do I get things wrong on a regular basis.

Glad you got it fixed. I will never be able to work on the engines, too small and the eyes are giving up.
Ha! Not quite.. Though, that does bring up an idea for future expansion(though, it is outside if my timeline)..

Yes I fixed it, however, I look at it now, as, in comparing to the cab06, that, it us just here for an "in case something happens to one if the other controllers..

And funny thing is, at this one, yes, I can certainly work on the engines. But I'm getting to the point of not really wanting to(at least as hard writing a decoder in, is concerned). The are soooooo many things with a layout that can always be done. I want to improve on, and experiment with a few other things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by MatroxD; 04-06-2019 at 09:15 PM..
MatroxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #203
MatroxD
Engineer

New member of the family, and hopefully something new that leads to good things on the layout also...

Old 04-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #204
MatroxD
Engineer

Well... The sum of all things, comes from the addition of the basic. So says me.

The layout has pretty much been running itself, as I shift to something new, but that does involve the hobby. The only thing is that i need to become more proficient. How do i do that, and learn? Well, practice, practice and more practice..

In the past week, the crash course has been on extruders, filament, bed and nozzle temps, how many mm/ seconds, and more.

I have learned a great deal. Sometimes the goal is simply the process of learning something new. In this case, I will, after printing my current project that is on the bed, proceed to the first RR related offering: containers and cab holders.

I wish myself luck...

Old 04-30-2019, 10:34 PM   #205
MatroxD
Engineer

Well, the layout is going fine, and I estimate this weekend to begin train prints. I think I have a pretty good handle over regular prints, and I have some containers I'd like to try for the flat cars.

The layout is also going well with the exception id the PITA N scale. I'm almost ready to just make them static honestly. The ratio of HO to N maintenance is approximately a good 1 to 20. I soon the decision will have to be made. But I will figure that out later.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #206
MatroxD
Engineer

NOTE ::: Well, now.. Train is still going strong! Printing is going well. I think it's about time to try a smaller nozzle this evening and begin trying some figures. Hopefully it goes well.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:51 AM   #207
MatroxD
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthernguy View Post
Also have a look at Noch and Faller brands. The quality is good, the price is good and the variety (construction workers, policeman, business people, train crews, all age characters; military personnel) you name it pretty much. I also tried some other brands out. However my biggest stock is made by Noch.

You mentioned eBay - every single group of figures I have were all purchased brand new from eBay.

I hope this helps. I am building a new layout now as well. My time has been very restricted due to being busy in the real world. I have my bench work built. I picked up all of my 2” 4’ X 8’ foam board last week. I plan to get it all glued down this weekend. At least my top pieces all the way around. I may have went over kill on my foam. I purchased 15 sheets 2” 4’ X 8’ and I only need 7 sheets to put down my base foam section. The rest will be for mountains mainly. I plan to have some high peaks in the back ground. I am sure with some creativity I will put the extra foam to good use.

Then finally I can start laying some track and building mountains, tunnels, bridges and scenery in general.
It did very much so! I purchased and painted a few figures.. It wasn't bad at all honestly, and was fun.

Thank you, D

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #208
MatroxD
Engineer

MASSIVE UPDATE? I HAVE MY FIRST SIGNAL INSTALLED...

Thrilled to death! I have to thank Micheal E.. And his support. It was a long journey and a major fear tackled.. Well over a year in the making! I will make a tiny video at some point, just trying to figure out how. It probably will be along the lines of Michael's.

It involved physically turning the switch machine around, because the aspects were not the correct color when the switches were thrown. Lesser of 2 evils honestly. But they are fully functional, and amajor hurdle overcome!

I only, as usual installed one, just to see exactly how difficult, and what wad involved in the process. I foresee more installations, as the package contained (3) dual aspect(red and green).

I wanted to, and someday will fo the whole block detection/JMRI panel pro setup, but at this point, I believe it may be a bit over my head. So later on that one for sure..

Anyhow, let me go.. I did a lot today..

Old 11-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #209
NorfolkSouthernguy
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
MASSIVE UPDATE? I HAVE MY FIRST SIGNAL INSTALLED...

Thrilled to death! I have to thank Micheal E.. And his support. It was a long journey and a major fear tackled.. Well over a year in the making! I will make a tiny video at some point, just trying to figure out how. It probably will be along the lines of Michael's.

It involved physically turning the switch machine around, because the aspects were not the correct color when the switches were thrown. Lesser of 2 evils honestly. But they are fully functional, and amajor hurdle overcome!

I only, as usual installed one, just to see exactly how difficult, and what wad involved in the process. I foresee more installations, as the package contained (3) dual aspect(red and green).

I wanted to, and someday will fo the whole block detection/JMRI panel pro setup, but at this point, I believe it may be a bit over my head. So later on that one for sure..

Anyhow, let me go.. I did a lot today..

Looking good! I still have absolutely no buildings, people, vehicles etc.. notta, zip... I have to make the time to get things really going.

I have to ask... that figure in the photo.. he looks rather big. Is he HO scale? Perhaps the figure just looks big because of the angle or something?
Old 11-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #210
NorfolkSouthernguy
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
Update log :

Dynamic Digital Exhaust: Wow! Discovered how to use it, without going through the process of calibration (longer layout is honestly needed than what I have).. But wow, it's awesome! So much so, that I may change my econami to a tsunami! And then, I may place the eco in the GP.. I'm not sure, but I know that I will purchase an upgrade for the Alco...

Next, I finally cleaned up my wiring.. Simply said, a chore!

Next, I now have, and am in the process of learning my Cab06. I pick up things fairly easily, but this little guy performs a ton of functions via the shift button,,so it's going to take time. However, I'm finding it preferable to the full sized cab. I probably will simply place the cab on the second/dedicated programming system. I haven't decided as of yet.

JMRI/Decoder Pro: I have it back up and working after purchasing another USB card. The one thing I have learned, is that once again windows update is the enemy with interface cards. I had the GUI cease to work with me on two laptops, only to remember in the second, that 3 of the infamous annoying "KB" updates, had just installed. Suffice to say, uninstall, and hide 2 of the 3, and all is back to normal. This is how I began messing with the DDE. Hopefully this will allow me to learn more about the Tsunami 's...

Lastly, I added a few new buildings(2 story house and brick freight house), and love them both. The freight house was all brown, so it's in the painting process. The latter is also going to be a part of the "Vulcan Industrial Complex" that I am creating. It will take time, and there are a few more pieces that I need, however I think it will be nice once completed.

Well once again, long post.. Ugh...

Okay I am not picking on you here but your figures are huge!

This girl is tall as the house and the man in blue coming out of the warehouse had to have a hard time fitting through that little door no?

I am just curious because everything looks to scale but all the people look more like O scale figures. You have a HO scale layout right?