The beginnings of a new layout.. - Page 24 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 12-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #231
MatroxD
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO and N
Hey Traction,

The crane, and anything else you or I could think of, is going to be for the cement facility im building(well, at this point need to finish). That and the surface, which is another decision that had to be made. I ended up being able to fit all 4 buildings, by placing three storage facility behind the silos(I combined the medusa silos, with three Vulcan and have a 16 silo "cube" if you can imagine.

I am not feeling too hot today, or I would have taken photos for you. But suffice it to say, that this complex alone is almost 4 feet. But it looks sweet, even without any paint or weathering(gonna try my hand at it with this facility). So that's what I'm wondering about add fat add the crane.

My layout is "tentatively" based in the 60's from what my buddy mentioned to me(he stated all my Alcos kind of determined my era). A somewhat small town, but the car's are my exception to the era.

From what your saying, sand is the main commodity I will need to lift and transport with the crane and support vehicles. But hmmmnnn just thinking of it, do I need water tanks, such as the dual ones? I will research also, but from what I think your saying I need front end loaders, and other trucks such as dump trucks.. One question though, how would I glue sand? I have grout that is light brown, but my normal formula never seemed to glue the grout down good. That, and I'd need to simulate associated piles of "sand" raw material..

I may have to bite the bullet and just begin buying period specific vehicles.. I think the vehicles overall change the looks of layouts.
MatroxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #232
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West add fat add the crane? Gluing sand, or whatever scenery material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
Hey Traction,

The crane, and anything else you or I could think of, is going to be for the cement facility im building(well, at this point need to finish). That and the surface, which is another decision that had to be made. I ended up being able to fit all 4 buildings, by placing three storage facility behind the silos(I combined the medusa silos, with three Vulcan and have a 16 silo "cube" if you can imagine.

I am not feeling too hot today, or I would have taken photos for you. But suffice it to say, that this complex alone is almost 4 feet. But it looks sweet, even without any paint or weathering(gonna try my hand at it with this facility). So that's what I'm wondering about add fat add the crane.

My layout is "tentatively" based in the 60's from what my buddy mentioned to me(he stated all my Alcos kind of determined my era). A somewhat small town, but the car's are my exception to the era.

From what your saying, sand is the main commodity I will need to lift and transport with the crane and support vehicles. But hmmmnnn just thinking of it, do I need water tanks, such as the dual ones? I will research also, but from what I think your saying I need front end loaders, and other trucks such as dump trucks.. One question though, how would I glue sand? I have grout that is light brown, but my normal formula never seemed to glue the grout down good. That, and I'd need to simulate associated piles of "sand" raw material..

I may have to bite the bullet and just begin buying period specific vehicles.. I think the vehicles overall change the looks of layouts.

MatroxD;

I'm very confused by the words "add fat add the crane in your message above.
As for gluing sand, use white (Elmer's ) glue. I spread a thin layer of full strength glue over a small area (approx. 12" x 12") with a paintbrush. Then I use a tea strainer to sift on a thin layer of sand, dirt, or grass. After that I very lightly spray water with a little alcohol in it over the sand using a household trigger pump sprayer for about 18 away. Let that dry overnight and next morning apply some "dilute white glue" (6 parts water, 1 part glue,1 part alcohol) by dripping it on. I then spray it with water again and let it dry overnight. The photos show the results using finely ground real dirt and ground foam grass.

regards;

Traction Fan

Allentown covered bridge.jpg

Wye at Black River Junction.jpg

Cedar Falls module. showing lightwood bookshelf arch with enginehouse & station in background.jpg

Black River Junction from aisle.jpg
Old 12-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #233
MatroxD
Engineer

Ahhh man.. That's my crazy keyboard(I forgot to pre read before posting). If there's one thing not smart about smartphones are the keyboards.. ugh..

And cool! That looks awesome! I will screen grab your instructions.. That first step with the white glue, do you think I could user mod podge the same way? Ahhh.. White glue costs nothing.. I will grab some tomorrow...

Old 12-29-2019, 10:48 PM   #234
traction fan
Station Master

West Elmer's glue not mod podge

Quote:
Ahhh man.. That's my crazy keyboard(I forgot to pre read before posting). If there's one thing not smart about smartphones are the keyboards.. ugh..

And cool! That looks awesome! I will screen grab your instructions.. That first step with the white glue, do you think I could user mod podge the same way? Ahhh.. White glue costs nothing.. I will grab some tomorrow...

MatroxD;

Mod podge is great for water, because it dries clear, and very shiny.(see photos)
It would not be good for dry land scenery because it drys very shiny, and sand, dirt, grass, etc. are not shiny, they're dull flat materials.
Elmer's glue or, (if you want a more expensive product for some odd reason) acrylic matte medium, dry flat.

regards;

Traction Fan

Cape Rip. cliff & waves.JPG

Combined outflow of Black and Green rivers.jpg

Cedar Falls water tower close up.JPG

Cedar Falls water tower open.JPG
Old 12-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #235
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Having virtually lived on a road construction site back in the 50's, there was an enormous pile of sand, a crane with a dragline bucket and 2 silos for the cement. There was a rock pile somewhere but it was the sand pile that was neat to play on - until the police showed up! The cement truck would drive under the silos and sand, rocks and cement would be metered in, then water was added and off the trucks went to mix on the way to where the pavement was put down. No TV back then but I had construction to watch every day! Watched them build 2 RR overpasses (NKP and B&O I think) using 2 different methods. One bridge was built next to the RR and then in one day was "rolled" in place! The other used a more conventional temporary trestle with the bridge built in place. (Fostoria Ohio Midblock)

Last edited by Lemonhawk; 12-30-2019 at 10:40 PM..
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #236
MatroxD
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by traction fan View Post
MatroxD;

Mod podge is great for water, because it dries clear, and very shiny.(see photos)

It would not be good for dry land scenery because it drys very shiny, and sand, dirt, grass, etc. are not shiny, they're dull flat materials.

Elmer's glue or, (if you want a more expensive product for some odd reason) acrylic matte medium, dry flat.

regards;

Traction Fan

Attachment 520202

Attachment 520204

Attachment 520206

Attachment 520208
Thanks traction! I have an idea now, just have to try and figure it all out. The facility is done minus paint(and the supports that go under the kiln) which is going to be a big job. Im thinking first I should get the ground cover in. I looked on hobby lobby yesterday and then showed they carried sand. I might do your Elmer's and then the brown grout, covering again with Elmer's like you stated, or I could do sand.

I watched a few cement production videos last night and one thing they all had in common was tons of dust. All over the place! So I'm going to try to take my time replicating that look. Lol, how dude I have no idea yet.. Might be an experiment..

But that Elmer's tip is an awesome one. To bad i didn't know about it before I made the little yard(kinda irrelevant now since the cement factory is in there now).

But im going to rest for now. Thank you and i look forward to your reply.. Your pictures and skill are awesome!
Old 12-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #237
MatroxD
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhawk View Post
Having virtually lived on a road construction site back in the 50's, their was an enormous pile of sand, a crane with a dragline bucket and 2 silos for the cement. There was a rock pile somewhere but it was the sand pile that was neat to play on - until the police showed up! The cement truck would drive under the silos and sand, rocks and cement would be metered in, then water was added and off the trucks went to mix on the way to where the pavement was put down. No TV back then but I had construction to watch every day! Watched them build 2 RR overpasses (NKP and B&O I think) using 2 different methods. One bridge was built next to the RR and then in one day was "rolled" in place! The other used a more conventional temporary trestle with the bridge built in place. (Fostoria Ohio Midblock)
Thanks lemon! I need and needed all that input. Along with what traction had told me, you description is most helpful. So I will need a few machines to go in that space. The rock, sand and gravel piles are going to be the challenge to make for me I think. Basically just how to create a pile that will stay in one place. Maybe the Elmer's method traction mentioned?

Trucks/ vehicles needed:

1. Dump truck: to carry the blasted boulders.
2. Cement truck: to simulate a point to point job load pickup
3. Caterpillar type crane with claws: to move sand, gravel, e.t.c
4. A pickup: for facility staff
5. Front loader: as traction mentioned to also pick up materials
6. A rail car/ crane: to move rail cars as traction mentioned..

That's my tentative list, any other type of vehicles you all think are needed to fill out the scene?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #238
MatroxD
Engineer

Finally took pics of what im working with and on..
Old 01-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #239
MatroxD
Engineer

Well, crazy up and down temps have me feeling like my head is in a vice.. Nonetheless, I push forward....

I figured out, with a small modification, I could install the road house behind the concrete facility.. Proto- of course not.. But it looks cool..

My"imaginary thought process"- they run and of course service, their own rail line in this small semi rural self contained city. All of the inhabitants of the small town, are in someway tied to the concrete facility, whether it be directly or say, the wives and families of the workers. That sounds good to me, so it's what I'm rolling with.. At least for now..

That's all for now. Back to the nyquil and bed...
Old 01-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #240
traction fan
Station Master

West Blue "roadhouse?"

Quote:
Well, crazy up and down temps have me feeling like my head is in a vice.. Nonetheless, I push forward....

I figured out, with a small modification, I could install the road house behind the concrete facility.. Proto- of course not.. But it looks cool..

My"imaginary thought process"- they run and of course service, their own rail line in this small semi rural self contained city. All of the inhabitants of the small town, are in someway tied to the concrete facility, whether it be directly or say, the wives and families of the workers. That sounds good to me, so it's what I'm rolling with.. At least for now..

That's all for now. Back to the nyquil and bed...

MatroxD;

I hope your feeling better! Colds and flu are no fun at all!
Your concrete plant looks great! Besides being a nice looking model, it also helps disguise the sharp (but necessary) track curve by blocking our view of part of that curve. This is an old, and often-used modeler's trick. Space limitations force most of us into using some sort of oval main line in order to have continuous running. The oval and the fact that the trains are basically running round and round it, are often all-too-obvious. This spoils the illusion we'd like to create of a busy railroad transporting people and/or freight from some "point A" to a seperate "point B." Covering up dividing or blocking the view of part of the oval helps. Good job! I don't see a "roadhouse" in the sense of a rural cowboy-themed bar, in your photos. Maybe you mean the nice blue building with white trim that' on the right in the last photo? That looks good. It looks like a small simple form of apartment house or rooming house. If that's what it is, I wouldn't sweat the location near the concrete plant or the railroad track. Plenty of real world, older "Low-income housing", is close to industries and/or railroads. Your storyline sounds reasonable too. Many small rural towns were founded by railroads and often they existed for one industry, which did employ nearly everybody in that little community. There were many, and still are some "coal towns" in the U.S. for example. My prototype, the Milwaukee Road, was one of two employers in the village of Cedar Falls, WA. I have a small representation of Cedar Falls, on my layout. So far, "Cedar Falls" consists of an engine house and a small train station & track. (see photos) I plan to add more structures later, but right now I'm working on another area.

Overall, great job!

Get well dude!

Traction Fan

Cedar Falls module. showing lightwood bookshelf arch with enginehouse & station in background.jpg

Cedar Falls maint. shed roof down.JPG

Cedar Falls maintainence shed roof up.JPG

Cedar Falls Station overall interior.JPG

Cedar Falls engine house.jpg

Cedar Falls control panel.JPG

Cedar Falls water tower close up.JPG

Cedar Falls water tower open.JPG

Last edited by traction fan; 01-05-2020 at 12:45 PM..
traction fan is offline   Reply With Quote