My introduction to S scale - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 12-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #21
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
That transformer was made back in the mid 1930's to run trains with different operating characteristics than the Gilbert postwar trains. I would not use it. While it will likely work the minimum starting voltage is 8V or slightly higher, the opposite of what we would want.
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2019, 12:54 AM   #22
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Kenny, I also use a ZW. What a wonderful transformer. The thing I like is it has a start
voltage of 2 volts. AF transformers start at 7 volts. Much slower starts and slow running
with the ZW.
Couldn't agree more mopac. That slow start feature and slow running capabilities is one of the things that drew me to the ZW in the first. Much more realistic not to mention that 7 volt start with an AF transformer can be aggravating when trying to do rail yard moves.

Kenny
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #23
rsv1ho
Conductor

Thanks, If I ever get deep into S scale I will find a better power supply. At $12.99 with free shipping I didn't lose much and he certainly didn't make much money on the sale. I imagine it's quite heavy.

It will provide me a power source to check the function of the locomotive, I have no idea if it even runs at this point.
rsv1ho is offline   Reply With Quote