S Scale time - Page 8 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 01-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #71
rsv1ho
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
I use fingers that are riveted to a white fiber-board. They are stiff and thick, and should last a hundred years... As for the wiring, I buy the 4 wire cloth-covered wire by the foot from my supplier, it's around $1 per foot, and I usually get 12 feet or so.That knocks the price down to .50 cents for a wire harness for a 302 style loco or a 312 style loco. You probably paid around $5 bucks or so plus shipping for your harness. I also get 22 or 24 gauge super-flex wire for .50 cents a foot. I can get it cheaper but you have to buy larger quantities, say 100' or so. Just saying, whatever works for you.
More than that, $12.95 for the harness and connector. But it's a one-off for me, probably the only American Flyer engine that I will rebuild. I gather that you repair these as a business or for recreation.

I find them fascinating. I love the concept of chug, chug and smoke. And the size is near perfect, slightly larger than HO and more substantial.
rsv1ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #72
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsv1ho View Post
More than that, $12.95 for the harness and connector. But it's a one-off for me, probably the only American Flyer engine that I will rebuild. I gather that you repair these as a business or for recreation.

I find them fascinating. I love the concept of chug, chug and smoke. And the size is near perfect, slightly larger than HO and more substantial.
As I re-read my post, I hope you didn't think I was questioning your purchases, I was just saying that there are alternatives.I do alot of repairs as I buy basket cases and like to rebuild/restore them back to original as a hobby. I do repairs for my good buddies here on the forum, and I like to keep costs at a bare minimum, sometimes just for shipping costs..It's not always possible but I try...I had Flyers as a kid, and have loved them ever since. That's about 70 years of loving them,lol..
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #73
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
If you keep it to one Flyer, you are a better man than me. I wanted 3, then it went to 7,
and then 10. Somewhere around 20 now. I am pretty much done buying engines now.
I tend to go a little overboard on hobbies. HO was a fiasco. Over 130 HO locomotives.
500 rolling stock. All boxed now. This includes 3 Big Boys. No one needs 3 Big Boys. But, at the time I NEEDED THEM. LOL. I have a one car size storage unit rented for my toys. I need help but won't go to the doctor.
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #74
rsv1ho
Conductor

Thanks guy, and I think that we are peas in a pod.

I feel your pain, but it's a pain that when it's bad it feels so good. A few months ago I had about five HO locomotives, left overs from what I had sold on ebay some 25 years ago when I got out of the hobby forever, or so I thought.

Now I would hate to add up all the trains (steam, diesel, rolling stock, accessories) that I have purchased in the last four months. I just know that it has drastically depleted my mad money account.

Son was over this morning and figured out what I had done wrong with 302. Embarrassing, so I won't elaborate. Suffice it to say, I'm 82 and don't read anymore. Just jump right in. You really can't teach an old dog new tricks.

There might be a couple of my originals shown, but most have been bought recently. Nothing spectacular outside of the Y6 Mallets and Big Boys and many of the others were purchased as parts engines, but I enjoy them all.

Bureau is filled with stuff I have no room for on the displays. Still save all the boxes. Boxes within boxes. Makes no sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7120007.JPG (703.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P7120008.JPG (689.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P7120006.JPG (666.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P7120005.JPG (359.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg P7120004.JPG (361.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P7120003.JPG (319.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg P7120002.JPG (458.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg P7120001.JPG (427.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #75
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
There are a lot of HO engines there. You have a neat setup. It is possible to store a lot of HO in a small space, S gauge seems to take relatively more space than the difference in scale would indicate. I have a relatively small AF collection but it takes a 200 sq ft room to store it, that does not count the space taken up by the layouts.
By the way Mopac, I think you need as many BigBoys as there are different road numbers available. I only have one because Lionel only made 4014 in S gauge.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #76
alaft61ri
Brakeman

I just started iam only 60 the young pup my wife and kids ask what i will do with all that after i said when it comes to a point i cant do it any more i will sell them no one in my faimly is into trains i do it because it is fun and i enjoy going to the the shows and talking to u guys
alaft61ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #77
dooper
Brakeman

I just shared some of these responses and pictures with my wife. She has told me, that I had to tell all of you that when you get ready to sell, you are to not tell me.
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:13 PM   #78
mopac
Station Master

That is a great display of HO locomotives. One heck of an American 4-4-0 collection.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #79
rsv1ho
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
That is a great display of HO locomotives. One heck of an American 4-4-0 collection.
Thanks, first indication that I might be obsessed with model railroading years ago. One of my first models bought many years ago and safely tucked away. Love the old American 4-4-0's.

"Won" another on ebay last night. Snipped at the last second by someone that thought he would like it more than I would. Not so. My proxy was high enough to ward off interlopers. Cost me another nine bucks running the total minus shipping to $21 and change.

Some would think - not worth it. But I need the parts totaling to more than $40 if bought individually.

But, I will probably restore it as it's the lighted edition.

Still working up the courage to solder in the new parts on the S scale. I may leave that to my son who has steadier hands.

Bought three transformers. The first one did not function at all. The second and third bought as a pair not much better but the lesser of the two (75W vs. 100) works fine but needs a new power cord. Other one shows 15VAC across the outer terminals but no variable AC at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AHM Pocher 4-4-0 damaged.jpg (171.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg AHM Pocher 4-4-0 front end damage.jpg (186.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg AHM Pocher 4-4-0 can engine.jpg (201.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010024 (23).JPG (569.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010025 (19).JPG (575.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #80
mopac
Station Master

I like the American 4-4-0s but I only have one. It is a Bachmann with motor in tender.
A very poor runner. I am planning a park scene on my HO layout and it will be a static
display in the park with a small fence around it. Similar to Horse Shoe Bend area park.
They are beautiful locomotives but so small they are normally not good runners. I do
have a 4-4-0 that is a great runner. Bachmann Spectrum. Modern 4-4-0. DCC and sound. It is belt driven, no gears. Almost unbelievable how smooth it runs. I almost did
not buy it when I found out it was belt driven. I read reviews on it and they were good.
Glad I bought it.