Recommended non-derail turnout for Atlas layout? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
ErnestHouse
Conductor

Scales Modeled: O
Recommended non-derail turnout for Atlas layout?

I have a lollypop shaped bump and go track in my new layout design that needs a single non-derail turnout for an all Atlas based layout. With the Atlas non-derail boards no longer available and scarce, I'm trying to figure out the best approach. This will only ever run a #60 Trolley

1) I read that there is some kind of passive non-derail capability in the Atlas that requires adjusting an internal spring. Any details about that?

2) Do the DX1000 switch machines work with Atlas turnouts?

3) Screw it and use a Ross or Gargraves with DX1000.
ErnestHouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
ErnestHouse
Conductor

Any recommendations?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
c.midland
Engineer

An Atlas switch will usually turn when a locomotive or car wheel enters it. If the car is very light it might not, but my experience is that any loco will go through the switch even against the points.
c.midland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #4
Millstonemike
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.midland View Post
An Atlas switch will usually turn when a locomotive or car wheel enters it. If the car is very light it might not, but my experience is that any loco will go through the switch even against the points.
A similar issue with a different mfg line. I have a Marx O-34 switch. Mechanically, the frog will move to the correct position for trains entering against the point. But my light tinplate loco derails. It's not heavy enough to move the frog spring.

I have a design using Arduino modules. About $8 per switch. Plug and play electronic modules plus some form factor assembly.

It detects the train entering the switch via isolated rails. Then provides a full voltage pulse to move the frog into piston. The limited duration pulse confidently moves the switch motor but doesn't cause switch motor burnout.

The electronics/switch worked on a bench test. I have not had a chance to test it on the layout.

Non-Derail.png

Modules.png
Millstonemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #5
ErnestHouse
Conductor

Cool. When I get my Atlas turnout and test my #60 Trolley, I'll let you know if it doesn't work. I have a ways to go before I get to that.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #6
PRR1950
Gang Labourer

Millstonemike ,

Is there another post somewhere that details the electronic parts you used in the diagrams above and where they might be purchased. Also, could you explain how the two different electronic diagrams connect?

Thanks,
Chuck
PRR1950 is offline   Reply With Quote