Model Train Forum banner

My "Does not run" $5 Special - runs

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Jscullans 
#1 ·
Much of the time I bottom feed on ebays model train auctions. I click on the "Less than $15" icon and hope for the best.

Found this $5 switcher with no bids and won it. No information other than "Not running."

Sure enough it wouldn't run, not even a twitch. Been there. I had no idea as to who made it until I opened it up and discovered VARNEY stamped on the frame. Ok, my first and only Varney.

A drivers soak in alcohol, a little CRC contact cleaner on the brushes, a dot of light oil where it counts and she moved, sorta.

A little nudge, some back and forth motion and off it went. Runs like a new one.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The old Varney Docksider was one of the classic kit models for the budding model railroader back around the 1950's. That one appears to be a mid-period model with the X2F couplers, but otherwise all-metal construction.

Central Valley once made a valve gear kit to fit this model that dressed it up some. Typical of the period, the various parts had to be assembled with tiny brass rivets. Believe it or not, Kemtron once made a lost wax casting to convert this model into a "cab-forward" loco. There were occasional flights of whimsy in the hobby back in those early days.

#4 ·
Yes, "Docksider" vice Switcher. Got to get my terms straight once again.

Interesting thing about the Varney, the depth of the worm gear in relationship to the drive gear is adjustable. I adjusted it a bit when I had it apart and it smoothed right out. I love the little five dollar thing. :)

Some of my other recent ebay bargain basement buys.

I had bought the Rivarossi 0-4-0 as a replacement for what I had thought was my first and long lost model. Then this morning I found it again. MDT "Plymouth". Significant differences between the early and late models.

Edit add: The "Mother Hubbard" was considerably more than $15.00.

Attachments

#6 ·
Yes, those side rods and valve gear mechanisms can drive you crazy trying to get everything back together and in sync..

Especially bad in Rivarossi's Y6 Mallets when the mount for the cow catcher breaks and everything come apart. Vulnerable issue with these.

Attachments

#9 ·
The Varney Docksider/Lil Joe was modeled on four B&O locos built for work around the Baltimore and Philadelphia dock areas, with lots of street running and sharp curves. Two of the engines later had the saddle tank removed and a slope back tender added. AHM once made a model of this version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.