Nce power cab prices - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 08-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #1
pilot2fly
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: HO
Send a message via Skype™ to pilot2fly
Nce power cab prices

Hi all,

I'm looking at the NCE Power Cab as my first DCC system. I'm planning on using my Kato Unitrack blue and white track connector cables and cutting off one end to attach to the NCE board, and keeping the other end connected to the plug in under the track. How well does this work?

Also, I've seen some fluctuations in price, from ebay to Google. Anywhere you can get one of these for less than $180?
pilot2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 PM   #2
Bwells
Dispatcher

It doesn't appear so. It is a nice system but the price has gone up in the last four years.
Jump on it while you can.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
telltale
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: N / HO
Removed prior post due to having wasted mine and your time and energy..Don't know why I'll get so caught up in helping someone but go in a completely wrong direction by having misunderstood the OPer's question..
For the sake of the community I'll try to remember to try to be less helpful in the future ...

Last edited by telltale; 08-28-2019 at 05:01 PM..
telltale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
sid
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
i believe the kato has a wire that already has bare ends for the nce system to connect to.
i hate it when people cut the wires. i bought some used part off ebay and they cut the dang wires. now i will not buy anything that has cut wires or i cant see the wires. i love kato track and there locos. im also nce user and i love it very much. i can run all four of my locos at the same time (got to keep a close eye on them ) and its never a problem. love that. its very easy to use right out of the box setup is just minutes. have fun and post pics we like pics , well i do anywho. hahahahahah
OH ya i got mine by watching ebay real close. got a used one for 127 bucks . it works great . but it did not come with the curly cord , but thats ok i didnt need that any way. deals can be had ya got to look and watch.
sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
Genetk44
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO and OO
Tony's Train Exchange has the Powercab listed for $159.95 That’s only a $34.00 price increase since I bought mine from them almost 14 years ago for $125.00
Genetk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #6
pilot2fly
Gang Labourer

Thanks guys. Sid is this the wire you are talking about? This is the closest thing I see on Kato's website. I guess you could remove the metal ends easily. Would the metal ends fit into the NCE board?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190828-095517_Chrome_1567000858013.jpg (403.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by pilot2fly; 08-28-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Old 08-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
J.Albert1949
Conductor

Will you be using Kato "terminal Unijoiners" or the piece of Unitrack that has the wires on it?

The Unijoiners make the connections all-but invisible. You have to drill a hole underneath to run them through the table.

TIP: Don't put the hole directly under the joiners. Instead, locate the hole about 1.5-2.0" on one side or the other. Also, you need to carefully "split" the blue and white wires (make it about 2-3") -- if you ever have the need to separate the joint, you'll understand why (it can pull the wires out of the joiners if you're not very careful).

I'd get the 24-843 extension wire that you posted a pic of above in reply 6.
Then, just cut the "lug ends" off if you can't use them.

Do it this way and you have a very easy method to "break" the connection between the track and the power supply, without having to disconnect the wiring at the power supply itself.

If you haven't yet bought the NCE setup, I'd suggest you take a look at the Roco z21 system. Youtube videos explain it. Very nice!
J.Albert1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
pilot2fly
Gang Labourer

My plan is to use the unitrack plug under the tracks in 3 or 4 different areas around the 3×7 layout, then connect the other end to the Kato hub where you can plug 3 wires in, then run that hub wire to the DCC system.

I have not purchased the NCE yet. The z21 looks good, but it seems to have a European style plug. Will it work in the US?
Old 08-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
J.Albert1949
Conductor

OP wrote:
"The z21 looks good, but it seems to have a European style plug. Will it work in the US?"

z21 works just fine with American trains. I've been using the system for about 18 months, hands down it's the best model purchase I ever made.

I would suggest that you buy the "z21 Start" box (the white box with the little "z") instead of the considerably-more-expensive Z21 (black box with the uppercase "Z"). I've found that the little one has all the functionality I'll ever need.

If you look on ebay for these, there are Euro sellers selling them in the $100 range, with low-cost shipping. You'll also need to buy the dedicated modem and key code to unlock it (these are available from USA sellers).

You may need the 2-prong "Euro plug adapters" for the power supply.
I bought a separate power supply :
https://www.powerstream.com/AC-A0407.htm
The particular one I bought was the PST-YD100W

If you have a smartphone or tablet you can try the z21 software RIGHT NOW.
You don't actually need the z21 (although it's just running in demo mode, you can't actually control a train with it without "the box").
Go to the Mac App Store or Google play and search for "z21".
Then give it a try.
J.Albert1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
sid
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot2fly View Post
Thanks guys. Sid is this the wire you are talking about? This is the closest thing I see on Kato's website. I guess you could remove the metal ends easily. Would the metal ends fit into the NCE board?
yes sir thats the wire . the metal ends will not work on nce system just remove them.
sid is offline   Reply With Quote