new decoder in GE 70 ton Bachmann - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 09-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
graywolf06
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
new decoder in GE 70 ton Bachmann

I mentioned in a previous thread that I was buying the Bachmann GE 70 ton switcher. After running for awhile I can state that the low speed operation stinks. It doesn't start moving till speed step 7 and at that it is jerky. I tried to adjust CV 2 but found you can't make any changes that the decoder recognizes. I fact it would not operate at all unless CV2 was 0. I opened it up and see that there is quite a bit of room inside. I happen to have a Digitrax SDH166d with speaker attached lying around and I think I can get it all in there. With the engine came a slip of paper stating that if you change the decoder you have to remove capacitors and inductors. I called Bachmann and they couldn't help me identify them. I see there are 3 yellow things attached to the side of the motor. What are they? also since I would remove the existing circuit board to put in the SDH166d would I be removing the items in question. Also there appear to be LED lights attached to the board front and rear if I attached them to the SDH166 would they work directly or do I have to add resistors and what value? I think I can fit the speaker in the cab at an angle and that would be a plus to have sound. HELP
graywolf06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
CTValleyRR
Train Master

It actually doesn't sound like there is a real decoder in there. You should not have to modify the loco to swap out decoders, nor should a real decoder not allow modification of CV2 -- that's the bread and butter of low speed operations.

Can you post a clear photo of the guys of your loco? Also give us an actual catalog number for the loco.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #3
graywolf06
Hobo

I took some photos of the GE 70 ton switcher by Bachmann model 60613 but can't find out how you add them to a reply.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
flyboy2610
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO, too blind and fumble fingered for N
The Digitrax site says that this decoder has "FX3 outputs are optimized for both LED and incandescent bulb lighting in locomotives."
I'm just guessing, as I don't have the manual, but I would guess that you need to program the decoder for the type of light you have.
flyboy2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
flyboy2610
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO, too blind and fumble fingered for N
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf06 View Post
I took some photos of the GE 70 ton switcher by Bachmann model 60613 but can't find out how you add them to a reply.
When posting, go to the 'advanced' posting page, not the quick post at the bottom of the page. Scroll down to additional options and click manage attachments. This will bring up the attachments dialog box.
Click choose file to upload the pic from your computer.
Click on the pic you want to upload. Then click on the 'upload' button in the lower right corner of the dialog box.
When you have uploaded all the pics you want, click on Submit Reply like you would on a normal post, and your pic will show up in your post. I still haven't been able to make them show up in the middle of a post however.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (4.64 MB, 4 views)
flyboy2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:15 AM   #6
Andreash
Conductor

You can remove the yellow “things” on the motor. I believe it’s for radio interference.
Andreash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:24 AM   #7
graywolf06
Hobo

here are the pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2301.JPG (2.49 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2302.JPG (2.54 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2303.JPG (2.51 MB, 2 views)
Old 09-14-2019, 07:34 AM   #8
graywolf06
Hobo

It obviously has a simple or poor decoder in it since I am running it with my NCE powercab. All I can do is turn lights on and off, change direction, adjust speed that is it. This was what Bachmann said it was all it could do. You cannot change CV's. I am wondering if the Digitrax decoder puts out the correct voltage to power the LED lights. I was thinking of putting the engine on the track and touching my multimeter set to DC on the circuit to the LEDs with the existing decoder to see what they are being fed voltage wise. What do you all think? Also do you think the SDH166 will be OK?
Old 09-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
Genetk44
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO and OO
I’m no expert but that seems like an inordinate number of wires coming out of that decoder...like twice as many as needed. I would wire the decoder to the loco as is, without removing the yellow things first to see what happens.
Genetk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #10
wvgca
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO 1890's
the 'yellow things' are -probably- inductors and they should be removed for DCC decoder usage ... not mandatory though ... they help to reduce electrical interference ..

wvgca is online now   Reply With Quote