new decoder in GE 70 ton Bachmann - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 09-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #21
graywolf06
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnarble View Post
Go to the TCS website they have installation of decoder in GE70
Thanks for the tip. I had tried looking there but didn't look down the list at the Spectrum engines. They have some nice photos of the install but I don't see the point in leaving the old board in place just to have the lights supported. My plan is to eliminate the PCB and modify the weight so it sits where the original decoder or PCB is. I will insulate the weight with Kaplon tape and mount the new Digitrax decoder on top of it. I will eventually add LED lights from Evans into the shell but initially will try out the new setup without lights to see how it works. Thanks again.
graywolf06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #22
Andreash
Conductor

Your on the right track removing the board. The advantage of some room, and a clean install will be worth it. Try to keep the leads long, but should a wire come off (from the truck), just resolder. I installed a decoder in a non dcc Bachmann F40 which involved grinding the metal weight, and typically most people wouldn’t try installing in this engine. But I wanted to see if it could be done, and I was up to the challenge ( I posted the install in the dcc section of the forum, as well as some others)...good luck and cheers
Andreash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #23
graywolf06
Hobo

Smile

Well the deed is done. Just finished the install minus the speaker. I ran the loco without the body and the speaker just dragging along behind. It all worked except when I went to button it up the speaker got in the way. Clipped it off and taped up the wires for now. Will look for a tiny speaker. Had to grind the weight down so the decoder didn't go thru the roof. I kept track of how much weight I was removing and was very surprised. The original weight was 28gr and all I removed was 2 gr. The net effect was a gain of 4 gr since the Digitrax was heavier than the original. This switcher is less than half the size of my other diesels and I must give a hand to those of you that work on N scale. I had to resort to tucking in the wires with a wooden coffee stirrer. All in all the engine is super smooth and quite. Digitrax has a chart to set up a dedicated switcher which dials in very slow speeds via CV2,5 &6. Thanks for all the help you all gave me. Paul

Old 09-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #24
flyboy2610
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO, too blind and fumble fingered for N
Glad you got it done! Now, on to the next one! (And you know there will BE a next one! )
flyboy2610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #25
graywolf06
Hobo

Smile

I thought I was finished but today I picked up a ESU 50321 sugarcube style speaker and installed it in the cab on the underside of the roof. Wow it sounds great and the little switcher has a real growl to it since the diesel program in the decoder is for a GP38. The operational difference of the engine is great compared to the stock setup. On to the next one.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #26
sid
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
he is addicted now hahahahaha any pics of the install hummmmm ?
sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #27
graywolf06
Hobo

Some photos if we are lucky. I filed some grooves in the weight to allow for the increased height of the Digitrax decoder. Only lost 2 grams of weight. The other photos show the decoder mounted with the old speaker which turned out to be too big. During operation this morning with the loco towing 5 cars I noticed that the traction is not good as it tried to go up a 2% grade. It just sat there spinning its wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2307.JPG (2.58 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2308.JPG (2.52 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2309.JPG (2.59 MB, 2 views)
Old 09-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #28
flyboy2610
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO, too blind and fumble fingered for N
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf06 View Post
During operation this morning with the loco towing 5 cars I noticed that the traction is not good as it tried to go up a 2% grade. It just sat there spinning its wheels.
I think that might be asking an awful lot of that little guy!
If it can move 6 or 7 cars on a level surface, that's probably doing pretty good!
flyboy2610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:43 AM   #29
graywolf06
Hobo

USA

Just wanted to see if it could do it since it now has a transplanted GP 38-2 decoder in it. It sounds the part --guess it has more bark than bite. HAHA